What are the chances?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What are the chances that someone after market will start to support the zf front axle and start making gears for the 14+ trucks?

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Probably very high. Pretty soon 6 speed Rams will be a thing of the past. The 8 speed is better in every way! Aftermerket companies will definitely want a piece of that

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Chances are very slim. The 2011+ ZF rear axle has been out for 4 years now and there still isn't a single manufacturer making gears for them yet, and only 1 aftermarket LSD available. Those are easy bolt on parts.

The 2012+ front axle requires both the carrier and gears as 1. If a manufacturer doesn't have an aftermarket gear for the rear, they aren't going to start producing them for the fronts...that would be kinda pointless on their part. I wish it was easier, but with it being this long with no support, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Chances are very slim. The 2011+ ZF rear axle has been out for 4 years now and there still isn't a single manufacturer making gears for them yet, and only 1 aftermarket LSD available. Those are easy bolt on parts.

The 2012+ front axle requires both the carrier and gears as 1. If a manufacturer doesn't have an aftermarket gear for the rear, they aren't going to start producing them for the fronts...that would be kinda pointless on their part. I wish it was easier, but with it being this long with no support, I don't see that changing anytime soon.
If no one makes them then how are guys switching to 4.10 or 4.56 gears?

My understanding of the OP'S question was will we see gears come out for the 8 speeds

OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The 14 + gears ain't welded In so I'm gunn keep my fingers crossed

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum

My understanding of the OP'S question was will we see gears come out for the 8 speeds
Ive noticed most of them are swapping the whole front diff to the 8". They arent using the zf front at all and i think the rear needs to be machined (not sure on that last part though).

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
The 14 + gears ain't welded In so I'm gunn keep my fingers crossed

Even if that is the case, which I have yet to see anyone post a true picture proving this, I don't see gears coming out for it anytime soon. Gear manufacturers are not going to produce front gears for a vehicle that they do not already produce rear gears for.

When the ZF rear axle first came out, we spoke to many gear manufacturers, and they all said they wanted to see Dodge keep the same axles in the truck for no less than 3 years before they would even entertain the idea of producing anything. We are 4 years into that rear axle now, and still nothing available. If in fact the ring gear is not welded onto the 2014 front, then that means a front gear would only fit 1 year model truck, with no support for the rear axle...As a business, it would not make any sense to produce a gear for that truck.

If this does come to be, I bet its at least 2017 before they are available. This is all speculation, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine

Only option for bolt in rear gears on the 2011+ are the OEM ZF 3.92's and 4.10's. In order to run 4.56's in the rear of a 2011+ truck, you have to either get a complete axle from an 09-11, or redrill and machine the ZF rear carrier to accommodate the bolt pattern of the older 9.25 ring gear.

Up front, Ram started welding the ring gear onto the carrier on the 2012 and 2013 models for sure. Jstacey has posted a few times that this isn't the case on the 2014's anymore, but I have yet to see anyone else verify that. Because the ring gear is welded on, your only option to go with a 4.10 or higher gear up front is to run a front axle and driveshaft from an 09-11 that will accept a regular 8" front ring gear.

It can be done, but I can count on 2 hands the number of guys I know that have accomplished this swap on a 2012+ 4wd truck.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Only option for bolt in rear gears on the 2011+ are the OEM ZF 3.92's and 4.10's. In order to run 4.56's in the rear of a 2011+ truck, you have to either get a complete axle from an 09-11, or redrill and machine the ZF rear carrier to accommodate the bolt pattern of the older 9.25 ring gear.

Up front, Ram started welding the ring gear onto the carrier on the 2012 and 2013 models for sure. Jstacey has posted a few times that this isn't the case on the 2014's anymore, but I have yet to see anyone else verify that. Because the ring gear is welded on, your only option to go with a 4.10 or higher gear up front is to run a front axle and driveshaft from an 09-11 that will accept a regular 8" front ring gear.

It can be done, but I can count on 2 hands the number of guys I know that have accomplished this swap on a 2012+ 4wd truck.

Oh I see, hmm that's dumb! Thanks for the explanation. I thought it was just the 8 speeds that you couldn't change out