What's With The 5 Chimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jettajam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So tonight I get in my truck to go grab a bite to eat and notice that I get 5 chimes during start. I never really pay attention to this kind of ****, but I do know when when I hear something different and this was different. It was like WTF, 5 chimes, that's not what it normally does. I have no indiacator lights on the dash, everything runs normally, just 5 chimes. I Googled it and didn't really get any information, so was wondering if anyone else has experienced the 5 chime mystery, and if so, what was it from?

Or maybe it's normal (then you can call me an idiot)

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Its normal bro. If you put your seat belt on before starting, mine doesnt do the chimes.

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even if you disable the seatbelt chime, you will still get 5 chimes when you start the truck if your seatbelt isn't buckled.

OP
OP
jettajam1

jettajam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies, I need to start paying better attention to the audible warning system[emoji15].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is not true.

There are less chimes if your seatbelt is buckled. I see you have a new truck.

I usually just start the truck first and then buckle my seatbelt; so I always hear the 5 chimes. Also I have disabled the seatbelt chime because there is the odd time when wearing the belt is too inconvenient - never while on a highway or driving in town.

BTW thanks ... I'll have to try your suggestion to see if I hear less chimes. I'll report back what I find.

BTW :)

Originally Posted by Broyd View Post
A repeat:

1. Sit in truck and close all the doors: do NOT start truck.
2. Buckle seatbelt.
2a. If someone is sitting in the passenger seat, they must also buckle their seatbelt and leave it buckled throughout this proceedure.
3. Put truck in the RUN position: do NOT start truck. Turn keyfob to RUN or (keyless) do NOT press brake pedal; press start button twice.
4. Wait for seatbelt lamp to go out on DID or EVIC.
5. You now have 60 seconds to complete the next steps.
6. Within 10 seconds, unbuckle, then rebuckle, the seatbelt 3 times, ending with the seatbelt buckled. Watch the DID/EVIC and ensure the seatbelt lamp turns on/off each time you unbuckle/rebuckle the seatbelt.
7. Put the truck in the OFF position. Turn keyfob to OFF or (keyless) press the start button once. A single chime should sound indicating programming complete.

Notes:- The seatbelt chime will still sound 5 times when starting the truck. The seatbelt lamp will always be on. You will occasionally get messages saying seatbelt unbuckled on DID or EVIC.

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have my seatbelt disabled. I have noticed when I have a passenger I get a seatbelt message quite a bit. Not so much when I'm by myself though.