Where does a cluster get it's information from?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hey all,

Thinking about swapping out my cluster on my Rebel. It came with the crappy 3.5" and thinking about going with the 7". Also considering changing the mask on it as well to the Rebel one. Guy I am working with brought up a good question which then triggered another question...

Might be a tricky one to answer, I can only think of 1 person who's messed around with a Rebel cluster.... psssssstttttt, oh Cuyler! LOL!

1, Where does the EVIC get it's model information from. ie when a OEM Rebel cluster boots it says Rebel, when a Limited boots it says Limited. Is this information pulled from the computer/canbus system or is it programmed in to the cluster?

2, The air suspension. On a Rebel there is 4 modes, entry/exit, Aero, Normal and Off-Road, a standard air suspension truck has 5 modes, entry/exit, Aero, Normal, Off-Road1 and Off-Road2. Again, where would this info come from? The comp/canbus or programmed in the cluster. Off-Road1 is equivalent to Rebels Normal.

Thanks all!
-Brian

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know of anyone swapping clusters on a rebel, but I do know people have swapped in the higher trim level clusters and they didn't get the message on start up that would occur normally. So I believe that info isn't stored on cluster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The info is stored in the truck. The cluster picks up the info of the truck it is installed in.

kennewbike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I did this exact swap on my 2016 when my truck has 4000 miles on it. The truck that I took the new cluster off only had 1000 miles on it and when I plugged in the new cluster my truck showed the new 1000 miles. The miles are stored in the cluster itself.

OP
OP
chopperman1

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I did this exact swap on my 2016 when my truck has 4000 miles on it. The truck that I took the new cluster off only had 1000 miles on it and when I plugged in the new cluster my truck showed the new 1000 miles. The miles are stored in the cluster itself.

Yes, thanks, the miles are definitely stored in the cluster along with the idle/drive hours. The folks I am buying it from will do the programming to match my existing. I am concerned with the logo and air ride interaction.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, thanks, the miles are definitely stored in the cluster along with the idle/drive hours. The folks I am buying it from will do the programming to match my existing. I am concerned with the logo and air ride interaction.

Logo is generated from the PCM in the vehicle and all clusters have all the options available so it will show your air ride no problem. I can see the air ride symbols on my Big Horn cluster and I don't even have air ride.