Whistling sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram_Dat_Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently bought a new to me 2014 ram 2500 6.7 and so far it is great. Love the new towing capacity it has for when I pull my toy hauler but whenever I accelerate hard I hear a loud whistling sound.
I have taken it to several shops around town, trying to figure out where the sound it coming from. All the dealership/mechanic shops said everything sounds fine and it drives good.
I'm worried cause I constantly hear the whistling sound when accelerating and the mechanics are just playing dumb. It has roughly 56 thousand miles on it. Idk if engine has gone bad or it just need a quick tune up. Like changing fluids and spark plugs

Last edited:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
uh....ok........not sure if you are serious or not.

If you have a 6.7, it is a turbo diesel, and the whistling is likely the turbo, or a small air leak in the intake side between the turbo & the air filter.

it also does not have spark plugs...........

Now, if you meant 5.7 or 6.4 (either could have been fat-fingered)....then not sure what to tell ya other than check the intake system for leaks.

OP
OP
Ram_Dat_Hemi

Ram_Dat_Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's the 6.7 diesel. Do they all have turbos? This truck is a plain Jane tradesmen so I don't think it will come with a turbo.

Fords are like a ******, eventually every ***** gets one

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If you've taken it to several shops and all have said it seems fine, they're probably not playing dumb as you described it. The problem may be in your head. As TRCM said if you do have the 6.7 diesel, it has a turbo. They emit an audible whistle when accelerating, it's 100% normal.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It's the 6.7 diesel. Do they all have turbos? This truck is a plain Jane tradesmen so I don't think it will come with a turbo.

All 6.7 Cummins have a turbo, it's not an option. That's how diesels are.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

And those two things in your avatar are pistons. Your engine has those as well.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
It's the turbos that you're hearing, enjoy them!

You've got glow plugs, not spark plugs

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It's the turbos that you're hearing, enjoy them!

You've got glow plugs, not spark plugs

No glow plugs either. The Cummins uses a grid heater system.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Interesting, I did not know that

Honestly it seems to be a more reliable system compared to glow plugs. It's basically just a metal grid on the intake side that preheats the incoming air. No need for an individual plug to get seized in the head. The eco diesel on the other hand uses glow plugs.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly it seems to be a more reliable system compared to glow plugs. It's basically just a metal grid on the intake side that preheats the incoming air. No need for an individual plug to get seized in the head. The eco diesel on the other hand uses glow plugs.

HA....until the solenoids that power it stick on @ midnight on the PA turnpike in a heavy snow with a loaded 14k trailer behind ya.......I can say this....the alt & batts could NOT keep up.

I had to stop for the night as I didn't know if I was gonna be able to make it without getting stranded.

Didn't stick again till I got home.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
HA....until the solenoids that power it stick on @ midnight on the PA turnpike in a heavy snow with a loaded 14k trailer behind ya.......I can say this....the alt & batts could NOT keep up.

I had to stop for the night as I didn't know if I was gonna be able to make it without getting stranded.

Didn't stick again till I got home.

They do suck power, that's one thing. That wouldn't have been fun. In my experience with Chrysler we see more seized glow plugs in 3.0L diesels than issues with grid heaters, and there's a heck of a lot more 6.7s out there than 3.0L. This was mainly the Mercedes diesel though. They were awful for glow plug issues on higher mileage ones, not to mention oil leaks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963