Who has an extended warranty and would you buy one again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David776895

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2104 Ram 1500 that I just got and trying to decide if I should get an extended warranty.

Curious if the people that purchased the warranties think they are worth it and would they buy one again?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a 100k max care, already used it for upper radiator hose at 40k

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yep, I'm happy with my lifetime Maxcare. With 42K miles I've only used it for a thermostat. By the time I paid the $100 deductible it's hard to say if I actually got any benefit.

My tranny blew @ about 35K miles and was totally covered but I still don't feel like it's perfect so I'm especially happy to have the warranty moving forward. If I didn't have it I'd for sure trade or sell the truck before the factory warranty expired just in fear of it having more problems. So, in some ways I'm getting some use out of the warranty.

Vehicles these days are just do dam complex that it takes nothing to rack up a HUGE repair bill. When I was younger I did clutch jobs, starters, water pumps, brakes and all kinds of stuff to cars. I look under the hood of my Ram and I'm lucky to find where to change the oil.

OP
OP
D

David776895

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, I'm happy with my lifetime Maxcare. With 42K miles I've only used it for a thermostat. By the time I paid the $100 deductible it's hard to say if I actually got any benefit.

My tranny blew @ about 35K miles and was totally covered but I still don't feel like it's perfect so I'm especially happy to have the warranty moving forward. If I didn't have it I'd for sure trade or sell the truck before the factory warranty expired just in fear of it having more problems. So, in some ways I'm getting some use out of the warranty.

Vehicles these days are just do dam complex that it takes nothing to rack up a HUGE repair bill. When I was younger I did clutch jobs, starters, water pumps, brakes and all kinds of stuff to cars. I look under the hood of my Ram and I'm lucky to find where to change the oil.
Thanks for the great feedback. I went looking for the transmission dipstick and couldn't find it. ughhh... there is none. :)

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a '16 Ram Sport 4X4 regular cab and bought the extended warranty as well as the dent puller option, even though I VERY RARELY park near others.
I bought it for peace of mind.

16'EcoD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I purchase a new vehicle I make sure warranty matches financing length so I'm not making a vehicle payment, and repair bill. In the past I've purchased factory extended warranties at time of purchase, and never got any real value out of them. On my ram I refused factory extended warranty at time of purchase and took a shorter term for financing then what was offered. I figure I'll see how things go over standard warranty, if it's a lemon and requires expensive warranty work during this time I'll choose to purchase extended warranty just before standard expires, or more likely, sell vehicle.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the lifetime warranty and no regret

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It works something like insurance, its only worth it if you need it. Otherwise its a piece of mind thing. Statistically, if they made financial sense for the consumer, FCA would not be selling them (they wouldn't be making money). So most everyone won't get much benefit beside a rental car.

Financial advisers used to tell you to put the warranty cost into a savings account and in the long run you would be better off. Those were the times where a shade tree mechanic could diagnose and repair most problems and extended warranties did not make much, if any, sense. But these days repairing a vehicle can cost real money. If you are that unlucky one with thousands of repair bills, the warranty is of great benefit.

It seems like, today, any simple thing needs a hook up to the dealer test set to diagnose and reprogram. One can quickly spend a lot of money repairing a fully option vehicle. What does a compressor or airlift bag cost to repair now days? Seems like a replacement radio is over a grand now. So the risk is that if something breaks it has potentially significant expense that the extended warranty would help mitigate. For the vast majority, nothing will break during the warranty period, so its a waste of money.

I noticed that the cost of extended warranties has gone up quite a bit over the past few years. So it comes down to "do you feel lucky" and how uncomfortable you are with risk?

OP
OP
D

David776895

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Really good stuff, thanks everyone! ! !

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
It is an insurance policy.

My general take on insurance is that I only buy what I need. I need health insurance because if I get cancer it could bankrupt me and leave my kids/wife in a bind. I have car insurance because I have to carry it, liability so I don't get sued into submission and for the aching feeling I'd have if I wrecked my $21K investment. I could financially survive it but it would be painful.

I don't buy extended warranties because I have the reserves to deal with vehicle repairs, even expensive ones. Insurance of any kind is something you pay for. The companies selling them don't subsidize your repairs for nothing. They make money on it so if you can afford to pay for repairs, you are better off doing so.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
When I figure I'll see how things go over standard warranty, if it's a lemon and requires expensive warranty work during this time I'll choose to purchase extended warranty just before standard expires, or more likely, sell vehicle.

I think this is the way to go.

Now I had a dodge dakota for 16 years/210K miles and a warranty would not have been worth it. The largest repair bill was $600.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had extended plans on a few vehicles and for the most part have always made out. Only had a 5 year on my Jeep GC, but got my money's worth on it anyway. I got the lifetime maxcare on the new Ram, I'll be happy if I never need to use it. But inevitably things will go wrong after the factory warranty is done.

With today's electronics, I think extended plans are a good idea. A simple issue can cost a lot of money these days.

BigHornDan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought one when I bought my 2014 model 2.5 years ago. Knock on wood, the truck has been excellent thus far and has never been to the dealer other than regular maintenance.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought the max care 6 yr 120 BUT I shopped around and went back to the dealer I bout my ram from and said beat this price I found on line or I will buy else where.
They matched it.
BUT
I bought mine separate and paid cash, didn't want to ad into pymnts.

jdeere05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When we bought my wifes 2013 dodge journey she was traveling quite a bit for work and we bought an extended bumper to bumper warranty for an extra $2000 at the time of purchase because we knew the car was going to get alot of miles. Now that being said its got 100,000+ on it now and that warranty has came in really handy and has not let us down at all since we have used it a few times

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I bought the 8 year 120k maximum care w/$100 deductible for $2270 for my 2016 3500 Cummins. In the past I would never buy an extended warranty, but our trucks have become so high tech dependent... Just one component alone (like the 8.4 Radio/Nav) can cost nearly that much to replace if it fails. I searched for a good price online for the Chrysler Maximum Care Warranty (you can buy it directly from Chrysler, or any dealership can sell it, regardless of where you bought your vehicle. I found Ziegler's website, and their price was a little less than $2500. When my dealer offered the same warranty for over $4000, I was able to negotiate that down and beat the Ziegler quote by $200. You just want to be sure you are getting the genuine Chrysler Maximum Care warranty. There are several "after market" extended warranty products out there. And they are even sold by some dealerships. I have heard that sometimes it is hard to find a service department that will honor these non-Chrysler extended warranties.

2016 Ram 3500 CTD 4x4 Crew Cab SB SRW Delmonico Red Pearl Coat.
2000 Dodge Durango 5.9L (Kept at our place in Mexico)
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 2wd Quad Cab SB SRW Silver (Sold)

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm a service technician for dodge. We bought a 2006 Dodge Challenger with a 3.5l and 100k miles. We bought the mopar extended warranty. 8 months later the engine spun a rod. 100.00 dollar deductible covered the 9,000 dollar repair. We unfortunately couldn't finance the warranty on the Srt8 we bought, that's the only thing I do regret. I fully believe in them as a technician and as a customer. Wouldn't short change it ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a service technician for dodge. We bought a 2006 Dodge Challenger with a 3.5l and 100k miles. We bought the mopar extended warranty. 8 months later the engine spun a rod. 100.00 dollar deductible covered the 9,000 dollar repair. We unfortunately couldn't finance the warranty on the Srt8 we bought, that's the only thing I do regret. I fully believe in them as a technician and as a customer. Wouldn't short change it ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that is smart with a used car.

I have a new truck and my thought is that in 3 years or 36,000 miles basic warranty period a lot can happen - truck gets totaled, you want a new vehicle, you die!

I'll get a warranty towards the end of the basic warranty period.

As others have said there are just too many complicated systems today.

OP
OP
D

David776895

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great feedback everyone, thanks! !