Whoever said tpms sensors don't need reprogramming.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whoever said the wheel tpms sensors were self adjusting meaning no dealer programing needed was wrong.

So about 18k miles ago I bought a set of nearly new sport rims that came with tires all OEM.

Since that time my tpms registers dash dash on evic. I assumed the seller removed the sensors before he sold me the wheels. Today after taking my truck in for some unrelated warranty work I get my truck back wkth evic showing correct tire pressures on all 4 corners. 18k miles later!

So either the dealer installed a set of free tpms sensors or they were already fitted but needed programming which they probably did automatically?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
The system will not learn replacement sensor ID's. They have to be manually programmed in. The newer systems will learn the new locations of current sensors after a tire rotate.

Maybe the dealer saw you had TPM dtc's present & programmed them as a courtesy.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've been through a few rims with these trucks, and new aftermarket tpms every time.

One time I had a problem and I think the procedure to fix it was to inflate over 40psi, go for a drive until they register, then air back down to whatever.

Every other time, no issues.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They don't need to be reprogrammed when you rotate tires on the truck they came on, but if the sensors are from a different truck, as in your case, yes, I would think they would.

Last edited:

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The system will not learn replacement sensor ID's. They have to be manually programmed in.

false. the system will learn new replacement sensors. ive never had to have the sensors programmed. changed wheels around a few times, all with new sensors.

Mopar_Magic_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I bought new sensors with my new wheels and tires. My stockers in the bed. Th truck learned the wheels on the truck with in 5 mins. No issues.

*This message was sent from the exhaust of 6.4L Hemi...

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I also did not have to do anything to program my new TPMS sensors when I changed the wheels on my 2015. They registered within 2 miles of installing the new wheels with a brand new set of sensors.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Man, I just don't get it. I have a '15 RCSB Sport. I purchased a set of Laramie Longhorn wheels with sensors and had a new set of tires mounted for winter use. Seemed ok at first after a few miles and then I get the tire icon and dashes for tire pressure.
Take it to the dealer and they programmed each wheel sensor location to the truck. All good.
Then I put my original sport wheels back on in the spring. Same thing. Had to go back and have the sensors reprogrammed. All good again.
Recently had an issue with one Goodyear SRA, and since I'm driving 200 miles a day 6 days a week, I just swapped my Longhorn wheels back on till I could get the Goodyear replaced. Guess what, no TPMS again. Didn't get it reprogrammed às I was able to put my Sport wheels back on a few days later. TPMS picked up the sensors and started to work again.
Question is, how can some people say they don't need programming and like myself, I have had it done every time I change out my wheels?

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The impression I had was that the 2015 MY 1500 Ram sensors differed. The rims were from a 2015 ram ( even the tire date stamp shows Y15) which were fitted to my 2015 Ram 1500.

I had already purchased a set of 4 genuine 2015 MY model TMPS sensors but never got around to getting them fitted and lived with the tire warning LED for the last 18K miles LOL

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also did not have to do anything to program my new TPMS sensors when I changed the wheels on my 2015. They registered within 2 miles of installing the new wheels with a brand new set of sensors.

Within two miles of putting on the sport rims and tires my evic "learned" that there was no TPMS sensors present and registered "--" for each corner. Boy did I get mad at the poor seller at the time :crazy:

I normally inflate to 41 or 42 PSI . So PSI had nothing to do with it "learning" my new wheels and sensors
Dealer obviously did something to my truck while it was in for warranty work.

The 2015 and up use part number 68249197AA which I bought last year but not installed, last two characters on part number may have been changed due to revisions, but the part definitely changed from earlier Ram versions.

So, still a mystery I guess.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Although I never had to do it on any Chrysler vehicle I've owned (they all relearn different OEM sensors, I swap winter summer sets every year). The dealer can program the ID, not sure if that changed. Something may have changed with the newer system, however. There seemed to be a vehicle once in awhile that would not auto reset regardless, and would need programming.

Last edited:

A05GSHO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I bought a set of OEM's and had them install in my Fuel wheels by the tire dealer and they worked perfectly from the get go. No programing required.

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is most bizarre. After about 100miles and 2 days later just now I heard the dreaded bong and now each corner is showing dash dash as like it did before I took it in.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
no way a dealer would program them without a $charge.

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no way a dealer would program them without a $charge.
They did something hence why the tire pressures were showing after I drove out of their service bay. Prior to that they never read, I assumed the person that had sold me the wheels about ten months ago (18K miles back) didnt include the sensors, so was suprised to see it registering after driving out of the service bay, didnt last long mind .uploadfromtaptalk1470454873186.jpg

Last edited:

Kid's HEMI! !!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered some off at eBay for my new wheels just put them on Saturday and they registered right away