Why does this happen to me?!?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Last Friday, I just sat down to eat lunch at a local Hardee's. I happened to look out at my truck and this dodge nitro backs up into the front bumper of my truck. I ran out immediately. The driver gets out (older gentleman) and says I didn't see your truck there. I said " how could you not see my truck". He tried leaving while I was searching for my phone. Luckily I found it and called the police and snapped a photo of his license plate. He claimed there is no damage to it but there is a dent in the plastic bumper about the size of a quarter. Police arrived and took a report. The guy did admit to the officer he did hit it. Now I am waiting for an adjuster from his insurance to look at it. The dent is small enough you can only see it at the right angle and with no sunlight on it. The paint is not scratched but for me I can see the dent no matter what because I know it's there. Why does this **** happen to me all the time? Wish me luck on the claim, because the adjuster so far, without seeing it yet, said it needs to be fixed. I am afraid no matter who fixes it the paint will not match. I'm looking for compensation rather than getting it fixed.

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
You're not the only one! It sucks I know..back when my wife and I were dating I went to visit her at her parents house and her mom backed right into it...not this truck, but my first Ram..did about $1k in damage!

Gunz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If it makes you feel any better I had a young girl change lanes into me when we were neck to neck going down a two lane road, said she didn't see me lol. If you find a body shop approved by his insurance they should cover all damages and give you a rental till you get your truck back, and as for the paint match just inspect it and if it's not to your liking tell them to do it again till it's right. Good luck with the repairs.

Randon User

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your truck is financed you won't get compensation. Your loan company will so they make sure their truck is fully fixed. You just get to do all the leg work and deal with the hassles.

OP
OP
mangus2k13ram

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your truck is financed you won't get compensation. Your loan company will so they make sure their truck is fully fixed. You just get to do all the leg work and deal with the hassles.

You mean if it is leased. And it's not.

Randon User

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, if it's financed your lien company holds the title. Any insurance check will be made to you as well as the lien holder. All you can do with that check is turn it over to a body shop to repair the damage. You can't cash it because the lien holder is not going to sign the check over to you and risk not having their truck repaired.

OP
OP
mangus2k13ram

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No, if it's financed your lien company holds the title. Any insurance check will be made to you as well as the lien holder. All you can do with that check is turn it over to a body shop to repair the damage. You can't cash it because the lien holder is not going to sign the check over to you and risk not having their truck repaired.

You're right about them holding the title because it having lein. They don't care about repairs done. They only care about payments being made. In my case, my payments are being made. If they weren't being made they the have right to take the vehicle. Insurance claims are not the banks responsibility that is why their name is not on the policy. Now insurance companies do what to know if it has a lein so if it is totaled in a accident your insurance knows who to pay.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your leaser does care if the truck is fixed. If you were able to cash the check and don't fix the truck, and then don't make payments, the leaser is stuck with a truck with a dent in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mangus2k13ram

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your leaser does care if the truck is fixed. If you were able to cash the check and don't fix the truck, and then don't make payments, the leaser is stuck with a truck with a dent in it.

Yes on a lease , not a financed vehicle. I'm not leasing my truck.

OP
OP
mangus2k13ram

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
this is why i've been parking as far away as possible. only real downside is if something does happen there's a good chance no one will see it

I do the same but unfornately the parking lot is small.

stro1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You don't have to disclose lien holder information to your insurance company? And likewise provide insurance information to your bank?

In my experience, the lien holder will most certainly insist that the repairs are completed. Otherwise their collateral is worth less. Easier to imagine if you think in terms of much larger dents.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes on a lease , not a financed vehicle. I'm not leasing my truck.

Ok well in your case it's your lein holder. It's your banks truck, they want it fixed.

OP
OP
mangus2k13ram

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You don't have to disclose lien holder information to your insurance company? And likewise provide insurance information to your bank?

In my experience, the lien holder will most certainly insist that the repairs are completed. Otherwise their collateral is worth less. Easier to imagine if you think in terms of much larger dents.

You cannot purchase, finance, or lease a vehicle without insurance. It's the law. That's why dealerships, banks and financial institutions verify your insurance when you purchase, finance, or lease.

When you finance, your insurance company needs to know the lien holder(bank or financial institution) so if you total your vehicle they know who to pay if it still has a lien. A lien does not give a bank full ownership of vehicle. It only gives the bank rights to collect the vehicle if payment is not being full filled. They do not have say in what is repaired, fixed or modified on the vehicle.

When a vehicle is repoed, it is then sent to auction and sold. Say the lein was $30,000 and it sold for $25,000. The bank will then have a balance due of $5,000 and you will be responsible for that through another lein on your house or lawsuit.

Gap insurance is sold for this reason if the vehicle is totaled and a balance is due.

If the bank had full ownership through a loan(which they cannot by law) their info would be on your insurance card and registration card for the vehicle.

The only way they are on the registration and insurance card is that it is a lease. Because you do not own the car. A lease is a rent of a car.

I've worked in the auto industry for more than 10 years so don't lecture me on something I already know far more than you do.

PLUS ON A FINAL NOTE MY THREAD WAS TO VENT ON WHAT HAPPENED TO MY TRUCK!

Last edited:

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My daughters Fusion was rear ended and between the rear and front damage the repair was 18k. Insurance wouldn't total it and never heard a peep from the loan company. Had it been totaled then the loan company would be all over it as the insurance company would take title to it for salvage.

stro1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You cannot purchase, finance, or lease a vehicle without insurance. It's the law. That's why dealerships, banks and financial institutions verify your insurance when you purchase, finance, or lease.

When you finance, your insurance company needs to know the lien holder(bank or financial institution) so if you total your vehicle they know who to pay if it still has a lien. A lien does not give a bank full ownership of vehicle. It only gives the bank rights to collect the vehicle if payment is not being full filled. They do not have say in what is repaired, fixed or modified on the vehicle.

When a vehicle is repoed, it is then sent to auction and sold. Say the lein was $30,000 and it sold for $25,000. The bank will then have a balance due of $5,000 and you will be responsible for that through another lein on your house or lawsuit.

Gap insurance is sold for this reason if the vehicle is totaled and a balance is due.

If the bank had full ownership through a loan(which they cannot by law) their info would be on your insurance card and registration card for the vehicle.

The only way they are on the registration and insurance card is that it is a lease. Because you do not own the car. A lease is a rent of a car.

I've worked in the auto industry for more than 10 years so don't lecture me on something I already know far more than you do.

PLUS ON A FINAL NOTE MY THREAD WAS TO VENT ON WHAT HAPPENED TO MY TRUCK!

Didn't realize I was lecturing. Or that you know everything there is to know.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
I wouldn't worry about paint matching. If you take it to a repair center that just goes by the manufacturer paint codes, yes. If you take it to a body shop that does computer aided color matching, no. If your truck were older I would worry because the original paint had time to cure and age with the sun. If your truck is newer, the new paint should age as gracefully as the original paint. Even if there were a difference, you wouldn't see it for a long time and by then you might want a new truck anyway. Get the truck fixed and be happy with it. The worst is done already anyway. Now that you've reported it, it will show up in any car fax report as a damaged vehicle which may depreciate the value.

This is just my 2 cents but I hate that a car-fax report only shows crash damage with no added information. I scratched bumper is a lot different that a major crash with frame damage but they are reported exactly the same! That's Bulls4!t!!!

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7

In Oklahoma, they just cut you a check or pay the repair shop.

OP
OP
mangus2k13ram

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wouldn't worry about paint matching. If you take it to a repair center that just goes by the manufacturer paint codes, yes. If you take it to a body shop that does computer aided color matching, no. If your truck were older I would worry because the original paint had time to cure and age with the sun. If your truck is newer, the new paint should age as gracefully as the original paint. Even if there were a difference, you wouldn't see it for a long time and by then you might want a new truck anyway. Get the truck fixed and be happy with it. The worst is done already anyway. Now that you've reported it, it will show up in any car fax report as a damaged vehicle which may depreciate the value.

This is just my 2 cents but I hate that a car-fax report only shows crash damage with no added information. I scratched bumper is a lot different that a major crash with frame damage but they are reported exactly the same! That's Bulls4!t!!!

The old man went to his insurance first. I think it only gets reported to carfax when it's settled.

OP
OP
mangus2k13ram

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Didn't realize I was lecturing. Or that you know everything there is to know.

Apparently you know Jack Schitt, do you know his sisters Alota Schitt and Fulla Schitt?