Why is my low tire pressure indicator on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
See below. All sensors are reading the same tire pressure but the indicator is coming on anyway. Also sometimes it flashes. What does this mean?

gRUv4q9.jpg

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It could have something to do with the sensor inside the tire on the wheel itself sometimes if they get moved at all (by a tire technician) so if it does not go away in a couple of days take it to the last tire shop that you were at that mounted the tires and see whats going on, just wondering myself when was the last time you had tires worked on???

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Holy hell. It took me a second to realize this was a Canadian truck. I saw 330 and I was like wtf?! Don't the 1500 tires recommend 42 psi or thereabouts? 330 kPa works out to almost 48 psi so maybe the pressure is too high?

OP
OP
M

morty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It could have something to do with the sensor inside the tire on the wheel itself sometimes if they get moved at all (by a tire technician) so if it does not go away in a couple of days take it to the last tire shop that you were at that mounted the tires and see whats going on, just wondering myself when was the last time you had tires worked on???

I got them rotated on my first oil change at around 10,000 km.

The light did go away eventually. But every time there is really cold weather, it comes back for a day.

Holy hell. It took me a second to realize this was a Canadian truck. I saw 330 and I was like wtf?! Don't the 1500 tires recommend 42 psi or thereabouts? 330 kPa works out to almost 48 psi so maybe the pressure is too high?

I've never touched the pressure so that's the way they are from the factory. It is a Ram Rebel though, so more aggressive tires (Toyo AT).

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty sure it won't alert you if you have the tire pressure set too high in the tires only if it's low.

Does it only happen first thing in the morning??? Mine sometimes goes on since the tire pressure is low first thing in the morning when its cold out. Once I get driving and the tires heat up the alert goes away and my pressure reads higher....

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hmm, well i hate to ask this but what does your door panel say, its more than likely that if the sensor is from the factory and is matched to what the door panel says than it could be just that. so for example if my door says 35psi and i get off road tires or some other tire that needs more air than that 35psi then there is a good chance that is the culprit. now im not sure what kPa is or how its measured but take it back to the dealer and tell them that you want your tire pressure sensors looked at.

Jershipe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 13 express comes on if tires are under 36 or 37 psi. Probably just need air in all 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
P.S. for the cold weather thats normal what happens is that the tire pressure drops in cold weather and rises when tire tires heat up from the road in the summer both affect the pressure by about 10psi.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It could be your spare tire if all 4 tires are okay, my wife's Toyota does that.

OP
OP
M

morty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
P.S. for the cold weather thats normal what happens is that the tire pressure drops in cold weather and rises when tire tires heat up from the road in the summer both affect the pressure by about 10psi.

Yeah that must be it. It only happens in cold weather and it goes away after a bit of driving.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been as low as 34 psi and my light hasn't come on. Good thing I make a habit to check it occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
my 2500 does it as well when it's really cold out.now my winter rims don't even have the sensors installed,and no,i don't have any warning lights on,even if i switch from light to heavy load setting.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah that must be it. It only happens in cold weather and it goes away after a bit of driving.

Yep. Any vehicle with a TPMS will do the same thing.
Our GM work trucks are terrible for it.

I make sure to use Nitrogen and keep my inflation pressure on the high side during winter months. That usually keeps the light from coming on.

**EDIT**
I seem to remember a conversation with my dealer about it shortly after I bought the truck.
I think it may be possible for them to reprogram the TPMS system to be slightly less sensitive. I could be remembering that conversation wrong, but it may be worth asking your dealer about it.

Sorry... must be getting old. My memory past yesterday is sketchy at best.

Last edited:

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@chopperman1 thanks for posting that i was trying to figure out how to explain it, and second about the cold weather if your truck sits in cold weather for long time (overnight) then your tire pressure will be -10psi. and in summer if your driving over a long period of time say about an hour or so on highway your tire pressure will be about +10 psi.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
**EDIT**
I seem to remember a conversation with my dealer about it shortly after I bought the truck.
I think it may be possible for them to reprogram the TPMS system to be slightly less sensitive. I could be remembering that conversation wrong, but it may be worth asking your dealer about it.

Sorry... must be getting old. My memory past yesterday is sketchy at best.

This used to be doable. But Chrysler got rid of the dealers ability to do this about a year ago or so. BS IMO.