Winchin'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll be putting a 12.5k Westin winch on the front of my 17 2500. I'm just wondering how the stock battery will handle that. Should I find a more heavy duty one? See if I can install a second one? Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a second battery is always a good idea on a winch setup because of the amp draw. The stock battery in most cases will be fine, but when you really put that thing to work it will not like it. If you can add a battery and isolator and use that battery for the winch and other accessories like compressors, lights, inverters, you get the idea. This lets the under hood battery stay reliable to run and start the truck and the other battery be the work horse.

Im assuming the truck is gas, as the diesel would have 2 batteries in series which would be no sweat for a winch.

OP
OP
S

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
a second battery is always a good idea on a winch setup because of the amp draw. The stock battery in most cases will be fine, but when you really put that thing to work it will not like it. If you can add a battery and isolator and use that battery for the winch and other accessories like compressors, lights, inverters, you get the idea. This lets the under hood battery stay reliable to run and start the truck and the other battery be the work horse.

Im assuming the truck is gas, as the diesel would have 2 batteries in series which would be no sweat for a winch.

Yeah it's a hemi. Would the stock alternator be able to charge a second battery or would I have to upgrade that too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What do they put In the Power Wagons for batteries and alternators? It comes stocks with a winch.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the purpose of the isolator. It will keep the 2nd battery separate from the main battery as well only allow it to charge when the truck is running. Once the truck is on the stock battery charges pretty fast and acts a buffer to keep the voltage constant, from there a high end isolator will then engage allowing the alternator to charge the 2nd battery. As you wont be draining that battery constantly it will be a few amps to keep it topped off for when you need it to pull yourself out.

jljbtm

Reaction score
I had an older truck with a winch snow plow Etc all connected to a separate battery and isolated from the main truck system that way if I ran down the secondary battery I always had a good 12 volts to start the truck and recharge both and go home

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963