Windshield Wiper Fluid Notice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was driving the other day to work the whole 1/4 of a mile and the windshield wiper fluid notice went off so figured I would fill it when I got off work on the way home the notice went off again. So got home and went to fill it to notice it was completely full. Is there a reset for this problem or a way to remove the sensor so it doesn't continue to go off every time I drive?

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I was driving the other day to work the whole 1/4 of a mile and the windshield wiper fluid notice went off so figured I would fill it when I got off work on the way home the notice went off again. So got home and went to fill it to notice it was completely full. Is there a reset for this problem or a way to remove the sensor so it doesn't continue to go off every time I drive?
Something else is going on. When I get the notice it means I am minus one gallon of spray.:signs16:

Someone else please chime in, but I believe you can clear any "i" by turning on the ignition without starting and pumping the gas pedal three times. :banghead:

unclemark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi, 4.7
Ive heard that is the way to reset notices but im not 100% certain.... thats the way it worked on my gm vehicles

Savfil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 - SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Something else is going on. When I get the notice it means I am minus one gallon of spray.:signs16:

Someone else please chime in, but I believe you can clear any "i" by turning on the ignition without starting and pumping the gas pedal three times. :banghead:

I know that's what you do to reset the oil life notification, not sure if it works for all "I!".

OP
OP
argray90

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tried the reset and was unable to get that to work. Any other suggestions? It isn't the end of the world but would like to try to fix it if possible.

ZCR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi A8 3.92
I would first check the connection on the sensor then stick something into the tank to gently wiggle the float to see if it's stuck. The message should clear as soon as the fluid is above the float on next startup.

OP
OP
argray90

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would first check the connection on the sensor then stick something into the tank to gently wiggle the float to see if it's stuck. The message should clear as soon as the fluid is above the float on next startup.

Ok thanks I will check that out!

ljvsnyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They have had issues with the windshield washer tanks, they extended my warranty on mine. You may want to check if that isn't part of the issue.

OP
OP
argray90

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am hoping that is what the problem is I am in Florida for some PGA stuff so going to try that once I get home.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I was driving home from work today and my warning light for the windshield wiper fluid came on also. I haven't had time to check it out but i'm going to try to look tomorrow and let you guys know if mine is actually low or if this is a malfunction on mine too.

I suspect an issue because I've only had the truck for a week and a half and haven't used that much fluid.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Alright so I finally got a chance to pop the hood and I am pleased to say that my truck slurped up almost a gallon of wiper fluid, so it appears that they just didn't put much in it at the factory and/or dealership.

I haven't driven it yet but I would assume my warning light has shut off now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

rweymouth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 4WD Slt
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My "low fluid" warning light stayed on even with a full tank, so I pulled the grill to get a good look at the layout. There is no float, which boggles my mind. Temporarily, I pulled the wired plug on the sending unit, put a staple (by hand) from a HD staple gun in to bridge the connection, and my light stays off. A note here. It did not go off instantly. I had to turn the ignition off, but when I turned it back on, the light stayed off. When I emptied the tank to check out the sending unit, I saw there is no float, just two metal tabs protrude from the sending unit into the tank. Apparently, when the fluid gets below the tabs, it triggers the warning light. I bought a new sending unit today from a dealer (under $6.00), but have yet to put it in. Before going to all the effort to reinstall, I tried to "bench test" the new sending unit by using a continuity tester. If I bridge the tabs with wired alligator clips and then connect the leads of the tester to the terminals of the sending unit, I get a "beep" showing continuity, but... I tried submersing the sending unit in water and then actual washer fluid, to represent normal conditions, and neither would show continuity. There I'm afraid, I get stuck. How can water or washer fluid bridge the gap, unless it does, but just doesn't have enough "matter", to show a reading on a continuity tester? I will have to ask someone with way more knowledge than me to figure that out. If I get an answer or a solution, I will post it. One more cautionary note. If you pull the grill, there are two clips that hold the lower outermost tabs of the grille to the frame work. They are apt to get damaged, and the local dealer could not find replacements. I have a query out to an online seller where I bought a replacement grille to see if they can produce them.

The Unabomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My "low fluid" warning light stayed on even with a full tank, so I pulled the grill to get a good look at the layout. There is no float, which boggles my mind. Temporarily, I pulled the wired plug on the sending unit, put a staple (by hand) from a HD staple gun in to bridge the connection, and my light stays off. A note here. It did not go off instantly. I had to turn the ignition off, but when I turned it back on, the light stayed off. When I emptied the tank to check out the sending unit, I saw there is no float, just two metal tabs protrude from the sending unit into the tank. Apparently, when the fluid gets below the tabs, it triggers the warning light. I bought a new sending unit today from a dealer (under $6.00), but have yet to put it in. Before going to all the effort to reinstall, I tried to "bench test" the new sending unit by using a continuity tester. If I bridge the tabs with wired alligator clips and then connect the leads of the tester to the terminals of the sending unit, I get a "beep" showing continuity, but... I tried submersing the sending unit in water and then actual washer fluid, to represent normal conditions, and neither would show continuity. There I'm afraid, I get stuck. How can water or washer fluid bridge the gap, unless it does, but just doesn't have enough "matter", to show a reading on a continuity tester? I will have to ask someone with way more knowledge than me to figure that out. If I get an answer or a solution, I will post it. One more cautionary note. If you pull the grill, there are two clips that hold the lower outermost tabs of the grille to the frame work. They are apt to get damaged, and the local dealer could not find replacements. I have a query out to an online seller where I bought a replacement grille to see if they can produce them.

You happen to have some pics? Might help us source them for you.

justrawbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my 12 did it and I called the dealership. they had a sensor waiting when I got there. they said they have had a handful of them go bad.

RamToy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, saw this string and wanted to comment.

About 2 months ago, my windshield washer light came on, despite having a full tank of fluid. I too thought it would be a sensor of some kind out. Took it to the dealership and they replaced a relay and the light went out. I drove it 50 miles and it was back on again. Bah!

Took it in a second time and I was told.... that the type of fluid I am using is causing the problem. I guess "Rain-X" is gumming up the sensor type within the tank and I should refrain from using it going forward! WHAAT? I have been using that schnit for years in every other vehicle I have owned! In any case, they drained the tank, cleaned the sensors and replaced it with common blue stuff, and the light has never come back on. I don't know if to believe it, but you can bet I will be using blue stuff going forward regardless. Just wanted to pass that along! :waytogo:

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK, saw this string and wanted to comment.

About 2 months ago, my windshield washer light came on, despite having a full tank of fluid. I too thought it would be a sensor of some kind out. Took it to the dealership and they replaced a relay and the light went out. I drove it 50 miles and it was back on again. Bah!

Took it in a second time and I was told.... that the type of fluid I am using is causing the problem. I guess "Rain-X" is gumming up the sensor type within the tank and I should refrain from using it going forward! WHAAT? I have been using that schnit for years in every other vehicle I have owned! In any case, they drained the tank, cleaned the sensors and replaced it with common blue stuff, and the light has never come back on. I don't know if to believe it, but you can bet I will be using blue stuff going forward regardless. Just wanted to pass that along! :waytogo:

I light comes on sometimes too. But rainx being the culprit is not right because my brother uses rainx too and has not had the issue.

mikey0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you using Rain-X Additive in your washer fluid? I had the same problem on my '13, it was in to the dealer 3 times, 3 sensors later the head tech found a TSB that states, "Using washer fluid additives such as marketed orange or green fluids may cause the sensor to fail" Since going back to the old blue I did not have any more issues. The sensor is a .35 cent part and uses the fluid to make the connection between the probes. When the fluid goes down that connection is broken and the light will come on to add fluid. However the "orange" stuff coats the probes and it thinks that the fluid is low.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you using Rain-X Additive in your washer fluid? I had the same problem on my '13, it was in to the dealer 3 times, 3 sensors later the head tech found a TSB that states, "Using washer fluid additives such as marketed orange or green fluids may cause the sensor to fail" Since going back to the old blue I did not have any more issues. The sensor is a .35 cent part and uses the fluid to make the connection between the probes. When the fluid goes down that connection is broken and the light will come on to add fluid. However the "orange" stuff coats the probes and it thinks that the fluid is low.

Odd that just yesterday my light came on.

I was immediately in a WTF moment because I had just filled it up (with the Orange RainX!) and didn't recall even spraying it ONCE.

I think you are onto something here!