Winter front on a gasser

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 2500 came with the winter front but I haven't installed it yet. Last week temps dipped to minus 40 and the truck took forever to warm up and naturally had a drinking problem.

I have never had a winter front on my fuel injected gassers, but I am wondering if I should put this on? Anybody running a winter front on their gassers? Any temp problems when it swings up a bit?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have one but if I did and my temps regularly got that low, you can bet I'd try it! I'm cold just looking at that number :mfr_omg:

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
My ecodiesel has it on currently. Said in the package to install below 0C and close the flaps on it below -20C. It helps warm up a bit quicker esspically on my short commute.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I haven't put mine on yet, and my Ecodiesel takes forever to warm up! I've been waiting for a warmer day to wash the truck before putting the cover on.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my 2010 i used to put a small plastic boot mat in front of the rad covering roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of the rad and just paid attention to the temps..I just strung across a cpl bungee cords to hold it inplace..
Just as an idea of what i used..
Boot Tray, Black | Canadian Tire

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just a FYI for you ECO diesel guys, if it's below 0c and you have an engine failure or certain CEL codes, there's a good chance you won't be covered, if your winterfront isn't on.

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What do you figure Tach? You live up here and share the same **** miserable temperature fluctuations and wind. Worth it?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What do you figure Tach? You live up here and share the same **** miserable temperature fluctuations and wind. Worth it?

Speaking of **** temperatures, we are just coming out of about a month straight of anywhere from -20 to -40.

That being said, I never once plugged my truck in or had a winterfront. Mind you it has the active grille shutters, which seem to help.

If I had a 2500 with a diesel I would probably put one on just so the engine would heat up a little faster so I'm not driving in a frozen cab.

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
The active shutters are for aero dynamics for fuel economy. I never plug mine in but I will continue to use the winter front as per Mopar instructions.

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Speaking of **** temperatures, we are just coming out of about a month straight of anywhere from -20 to -40

We just came out too. Friday night was -48 in the wind (-32) and today it was +1. Mother Nature is off her meds :/

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
We just came out too. Friday night was -48 in the wind (-32) and today it was +1. Mother Nature is off her meds :/

Jesus that's cold! It was -25 here the other day, and I thought that was bad! It'll be -1 tomorrow and +1 for a couple days after that. I think this is as good a time as any to get this cover on! Lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The active shutters are for aero dynamics for fuel economy. I never plug mine in but I will continue to use the winter front as per Mopar instructions.

They're also used to aid in engine warm up which in turn improves fuel economy.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put it on- It should help a lot-
You Diesel guys should definitely be using them in those temps- Your diesels are designed to run warm- Not cold period- I'm not sure about the Rams- But I do know fords have to be warm " certain temp" to regen/ clean exhaust- I would be seriously worried about my emissions system fckn my motor up because it wasn't running warm enough-

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2500 came with the winter front but I haven't installed it yet. Last week temps dipped to minus 40 and the truck took forever to warm up and naturally had a drinking problem.

I have never had a winter front on my fuel injected gassers, but I am wondering if I should put this on? Anybody running a winter front on their gassers? Any temp problems when it swings up a bit?

I can't currently comment on my gasser. it was only 55 degrees out and sunny today, had to roll down my windows. :naughty:

having said that, growing up in New York with lake effect snow, wasn't uncommon back then to see my dads and his buddies run theirs on their trucks all day long while roaming the neighborhood plowing everyones driveways. Coolest looking out of all had to be the neighbors Jeep J2000! And for sure it never got as cold as your neck of the woods. I don't see temp problems if you ran yours all day long with your temps.

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Ecodiesel one goes on super easy. Takes seconds to put it on

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
You guys must be tough as nails to live in that climate! :mfr_omg:

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I remember my first truck. a 1966 Chevy stepside. that SOB took forever to warm up in the winters but once warm, it would roast you out of the cab. It had a big 4 core radiator and I would put cardboard in front of it to get her to warm faster and to help maintain good temps. without it, you could see the temp needle drop each time the thermostat opened.

OzarksRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have considered putting one on my truck but would a block heater be a better option? I have never had one on any truck I have owned. My issue is that it takes 5 minutes to get to work and I hate to let my truck idle for 10 minutes to drive 5. On longer trips I never have issues. I am hesitant to put the winter front on cuz here is SW Missouri it was -1 with a -14 wind chill on Saturday and they are calling for 60 degrees on X-mas. Our weather seems to change more than a women changes clothes.