Winter wheels for 2016 sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sled Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys...great site!

I just purchased a black, 2016 QC sport. Awesome truck. I love it. My question is on the rims. I think they are polished aluminum? How do they hold up to a upstate NY winter? I do snowmobile and actively search out bad weather! I'm thinking of getting some winter rims. Any advice? Sites to go to for some cheap rims? Was also thinking of going to local junkyard and seeing if they have any rims for that truck. Sucky part is I'll have to buy some more tires...$$$

Thanks for any info you can provide!

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I run Goodyear Duratracs on stock wheels all year round. After 1 winter the year held up well. No marks or salt spots on them.

The duratracs are amazing in the snow, I highly recommend them.

Going sledding last winter I pulled a 25' enclosed trailer on roads with 6" of snow/slush. Duratracs performed awesome!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could plasti-dip them as a cheap way of protecting them.

CF_Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My father runs Duratracs year round on the Jeep, my mom used to have them as seasonal tires on her 1/4 Mazda back when she had it. I got a set for my RAM for this winter. Having used them before, I can attest that they are UNREAL in the snow, they are also revered as good off-road tires in the Jeep community.

As far as rims go, where I'm at the cheapest I could find were 17" steelies from the dealer (on sale last week, sale might still be on) for $67 CAD/wheel. This beat the next best of $80 CAD/wheel. They are steel so they won't look the best, but they'll get the job done. It's pretty common to find used alloys for sale on classifieds too, and I'll likely replace my steelies with alloys eventually. Just hold out for reasonably priced, some people will try and get 1200 for a set while others will charge 350 for the same set.

On a side note - if you want to go the two sets of rims route keep in mind you may want to buy TPMS modules. In the states its pretty cheap to get them off eBay or something, where I was the best price I could find was 50 CAD/wheel. You don't *need* TPMS (unless your laws state otherwise) but it' nice not listening the chime all the time, also imo the time to have TPMS is in the winter.

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
The sport wheels have a clear coat over them so unless you scratch the clear off you should be fine.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have heard nothing but good things about the Duratracs. Just picked up a set of 315/70R17's myself, not sure if I'll get them studded or not yet. Just a heads up to my fellow Canucks, Canadian Tire has them on for 20% off again.

Ordered a set of Black Rock steelies from Summit that actually look good at $90 US/rim. Pumped to get them mounted!

OP
OP
S

Sled Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info. I think I'll look around for reasonably priced used rims.

Does anyone know what year Rams 20 inch rims will fit my truck?

TarPaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Black Edition 1500
Engine
Hemi V8
I am trading in my 2012 Wrangler for a Ram 1500...I have 33inch Duratracs on them. Its a great tire in both rain and snow...very versatile unlike some tires that have large grooves for mud, but none for rain...highly recommend

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep an eye on Craigslist for used wheels. I scored a set of 17" Pro Comp steelies for $20!! They are now my winter wheels.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys seem to always be selling their rims, keep an eye here. I went to Tirerack and got a wheel/tire package. Figured since they are on the truck for so many months didn't want just the simple black "steel" rim. I run dedicated winter tires, love them!! I am unstoppable!!!! I am Invincible!!!!!:biggun:

:roflsquared:

NikNak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Guys seem to always be selling their rims, keep an eye here. I went to Tirerack and got a wheel/tire package. Figured since they are on the truck for so many months didn't want just the simple black "steel" rim. I run dedicated winter tires, love them!! I am unstoppable!!!! I am Invincible!!!!!:biggun:

:roflsquared:
Did you add TPMS or just live with the chime...and 4yrs later. Still happy?

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added the sensors with the tire/wheel package when I got them from Tirerack back in '14.
I actually just replaced the Blizzack DM-V1's with brand new Blizzack DM-V2's 3 weeks ago, just in time for winter. I think that is a good response to your question.... I am now on my second set of winter dedicated tires after these years. I drive as per weather conditions, but it's such a nice feeling driving in winter with a good set of winter tires.