Wipers cause interior lights to dim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randallwoodward

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i'm hoping this is just a simple thing and maybe it will be in the evic settings, I haven't checked yet. I noticed on my way to dropping off my son at school this morning that when I tuned on my wipers in about 30 seconds or less my radio and dash lights dim..The second I turn off the wipers they come back on...is this normal? I see NO reason for this to happen. The idea that using wipers somehow means it's dark outside and the dash lights need to dim is crazy. Any thoughts. Btw..this is a 2011 Longhorn 1500.

OP
OP
randallwoodward

randallwoodward

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have it set so that your headlights automatically come on with wipers?

I didn't think so..honestly I didn't know that was an option. that seems silly as well but would explain what's going on. i'll go in and check that. Thanks

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I know on my 17 Laramie, I can turn that option on and off.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
if you have the dial for the headlights set to auto they will turn on with the windshield wipers. Pretty sure the only way to stop that from happening is not use the auto headlight function.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Makes it easy to comply with the law, if wipers are on lights are required to be on, at least in New Jersey. But remember, in New Jersey we are too stupid to pump our own gas so maybe we are too stupid to turn lights on too. :crazy:

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is an option on my wife's 2013 Durango. It's kind of annoying, but I can understand why they do it. I'm not sure if it's an option on my '14 Ram, but I haven't really looked either.

If that is not what you are experiencing, then maybe it's a weak battery, or alternator? Just a possibility.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
yes you can turn it off in your evic screen its there because if you got a downpour the lights should be on to make you visible to oncoming traffic.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yes you can turn it off in your evic screen its there because if you got a downpour the lights should be on to make you visible to oncoming traffic.

I've set mine to not turn on with the wipers. It's on the evic. I have the auto headlights so they turn on when it's dark enough anyways. Sun showers happen to often in Florida no need for headlights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Its an option on my 2014. I have it turned off. Call me old fashioned, but I don't like some automatic stuff. For many things, such as headlights, I prefer manual control. Especially the automatic high beams... the first time the truck flashed someone, that was it, I was done with trusting that.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Its an option on my 2014. I have it turned off. Call me old fashioned, but I don't like some automatic stuff. For many things, such as headlights, I prefer manual control. Especially the automatic high beams... the first time the truck flashed someone, that was it, I was done with trusting that.

Me too. I had the auto bright headlamps turned on at first. I thought it was kind of cool until the first time I needed to flash someone and they got turned back off.

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
In many states it's illegal to drive with your wipers on and no headlights. Many vehicles with auto headlamps will do this.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
Makes it easy to comply with the law, if wipers are on lights are required to be on, at least in New Jersey. But remember, in New Jersey we are too stupid to pump our own gas so maybe we are too stupid to turn lights on too. :crazy:

No ones taking the free shots to make fun of Jersey? They can't even turn left!

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My 2 cents is look in the wiper and wiper motor area to see if it may be gummed up with anything to bog the motor down,, Sometimes sticks get way in there! Please update what you do/find !

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
yeah I hear ya but where I live there so many Japanese cars running around at night with no taillights at the back because they don't know how to turn there lights on lol.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't mind the auto on headlights, just one more thing I don't have to worry about. Auto high...I would turn off for sure but my 2011 doesn't have that.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2 cents is look in the wiper and wiper motor area to see if it may be gummed up with anything to bog the motor down,, Sometimes sticks get way in there! Please update what you do/find !
I'm not sure what you are referring to. There is nothing wrong with the wipers, they work just fine. I funny didn't know why my lights dimmed when I turned them on. Solution has been found and used. No more dim lights.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure what you are referring to. There is nothing wrong with the wipers, they work just fine. I funny didn't know why my lights dimmed when I turned them on. Solution has been found and used. No more dim lights.

what he is saying is they appear to be causing a current draw. somethings internal to them they appear to you as "normal" but they are not.

Do you still have the original stock battery? reason i ask is if you do you got many more years out of it than expected. any car battery if you get more then 4 years your on "borrowed" time.

i would do some current draw tests to see how much current is being used then the wipers go on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio