Wont Shift into any gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
History is the key to any good diagnosis, so here it goes, and as short as possible.

2011 Dodge Larimie 4wd w/ 5.7 Hemi & Auto. Trans

My son used the truck to go fishing. Launched the boat, pulled up, parked and put the truck in Park. When they got back to the truck and turned the key, NOTHING happened. He noticed the Indicator shown to be in Reverse but the Center Console Shifter was actually in the Park position and would not move. When I got there, I found this to be true and used the MANUAL shift release, and was able to get the shifter into neutral. I was able to start the truck with the shifter in NEUTRAL. When I moved the shifter into drive, nothing happened, moved to Reverse and nothing happened, When I put the shifter in Park however, I heard a series of clicks as if a solenoid or gear was not engaging completely. After the series of clicks stopped, the shift indication was on park and I was able to turn the key off and it would then start again. After all of this, the trans still would not engage in any position and would give the series of clicks when put back into park.

I pride myself in performing all work on my own equipment, but need a little help in the Diagnostics.

Suggestions are Greatly Appreciated.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a neutral safety starter switch issue. Used to happen to me all the time on previous cars. Doesn't mean its the actual switch itself, but the switch is not recognizing that the car is in a neutral position (park, or neutral) so it typically is the shift cable.

You could have someone shift gears while you watch it and see if it is fully moving into proper positions (assuming you know what they are) There are also articles on how to determine if the neutral safety switch is bad, but where the tranny is having issues actually switching gears (the noise) I'd start with the cable itself.

Here is a diagram of where the park/neutral switch is. If you decide to start there.

Attachments

• switch.gif
    switch.gif
    13.8 KB · Views: 236
OP
OP
M

MarkC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, Just got someone here to help me get it into my shop and will start the check out. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for the diagram.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, Just got someone here to help me get it into my shop and will start the check out. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for the diagram.
Good luck!! Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MarkC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK. Need a little more help. Looks like the Cable and Shift Linkage is operating correctly and moving into the correct positions from Park to Drive. Probably still the Park/Neutral Switch but my Trans does not match the previous diagram. I would appreciate help identifying the correct Sensor due to the original Diagram not matching what's actually on my Trans.

I have attached the same Diagram just marked up.

http://www.ramforum.com/picture.php?pictureid=24087&albumid=3729&dl=1492814861&thumb=1

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cant see the marked up photo.. might be the app Im using will check tonight.

Does the gearbox (shifter) match the dash? Like when its in D or P at the box does the display on the dash say the right gear??

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MarkC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It does now. When my son called me, the Dash shown Reverse, but the shifter was locked in Park. After using the manual release, I was able to move the shifter to neutral, crank the engine, then put the shifter in park. I heard a short grinding sound when put into park but stopped fairly quickly. After that, the Dash and Shifter matched.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which auto transmission do you have? I thought the 545RFE type that is used in 2011 on V8s and 1500s does not have a neutral safety switch. The transmission range sensor, however, is part of the solenoid module inside the transmission. I think you replace the solenoid pack to replace the switch. Although I think the transmission would work reasonably well with a bad sensor as the TCM has pressure data to work with.

The range switch is actually four or five open/closed switches that encodes the shift lever position to the TCM.

So it still doesn't shift into any gear, or move the truck? You may have to pull the pan and look for debris, but I'm no transmission expert.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MarkC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the suggestions and advise. I have been working a lot of overtime and do not have the time or facilities to breakdown the Trans. I am going to take it to a friends shop and let them take care of the repairs. I will make another post with the final diagnosis and what repairs were needed. Hopefully the updates will be valuable for others in the future.