Would You Buy RAM Again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barbosa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will preface this by saying I realize where I am asking this and understand what that will likely mean for the answers I get.

I am in the market for a 1/2 pickup and will be towing between 2,000 and 4,000 lbs about 250 miles a week, give or take a few. I initially thought I wanted a Ford with the Ecoboost, but personally know 2 people who owned them and traded before they hit 40k miles for various reasons. That combined with the used prices for the 2015+ entry level models quickly removed Ford from the mix. I owned a 2007 GMC Sierra CC for 5 years and 120k miles with zero problems, so I am not opposed to GM although I'm not a huge fan of the styling, particularly the rear. Toyota is king as far as reliability, but they're far and away the most expensive and worst fuel economy. In researching Titans, they have a ton of issues I want no part of, mainly differentials.

That left me with the Ram. I have been lurking on this forum for over a month and looking on autotrader daily and have found a truck I am very interested in. It's a 2015 Big Horn CC 4x4 with 41k miles and they're asking $27,759. I went to drive it and on initial startup up there was a very noticeable tick that lasted about 5 seconds (maybe a little more) then went away. I have read here that it could be an exhaust manifold stud or just normal "Hemi tick". The truck is priced very well compared to others like it. Besides that I really liked the way it drove and am thinking hard about pulling the trigger. I wanted to see if anyone had any real buyers remorse with RAM before I do. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I bough mine new, I would buy it again
I am not a mechanic so I do not know what caused the tick, however I notice it in cold weather ? did not know why other than it is not present in warm weather ?

Though about running a thinner oil in the winter but the dealer said to just put in whats on the cap and that would not make a difference.

His explanation, not sure if that is a line of **** or not? but as you state it goes away in a few seconds is that is normal

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
It could have been setting for awhile and may not have a oil filter with the anti drain back feature, basically had to get some oil back up to the top of the motor.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
get them to throw in a pup oil change for free and check the manifold bolts and repair if needed as well as part of the deal. if its a hemi tick (mds) the pup oil should eliminate the lifter noise it did on mine its quiet as a church mouse lol. and yes I was a gm man for 25 years I would buy a ram again.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To answer your question - Yes, would buy a RAM again without hesitation.

Bought mine (2013 Express CC 5.7 2WD) about a year ago and never regretted it.

The "problem" with forums like that is, you mostly read about issues people have and try to get solved or help with.
Nobody gets on there and starts a post saying - hey, my truck runs great, no problem with it, love it.

OP
OP
barbosa

barbosa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
get them to throw in a pup oil change for free and check the manifold bolts and repair if needed as well as part of the deal. if its a hemi tick (mds) the pup oil should eliminate the lifter noise it did on mine its quiet as a church mouse lol. and yes I was a gm man for 25 years I would buy a ram again.

Good call. I currently work for a company that does heavy duty (class 4-8) truck repair, and a few of the technicians have plenty of light duty experience so I intend to have one of them get under it and check everything thoroughly before moving forward.

Does $27k seem pretty fair for a 2015 CC 4x4 with 41k miles?

2TonFun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bought a 2003 Dodge Ram Crew Cab in '03, still have it. Bought a 2017 Ram Crew Cab last month to replace our '06 Charger Daytona (traded in) and our '01 Dakota Crew Cab (sold). Now have two Rams and no other vehicles. I guess I'd buy another one if given the chance!

SixPoints_Kev

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.7 CTD
I originally had a 2015 which was purchased new. That truck was bought back by FCA a few months ago as a lemon under CA law. Even after dealing with a lemon, I still went back to Ram and bought a new 2017. They are fantastic trucks! Can't stereotype the brand just for one lemon and I'm happy with my decision, even the second time around.

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After owing at 2015 Ram 1500 and now a 2016 Ram 2500,yes I would by a Ram again. My. Previous pick up the 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 and I also only a few years before that Ford Ranger in the Ford F150.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I was a Chevy man all my life untill I bought my 06 Z71, Truck never gave me any problems and really like the looks of it but the power was pathetic Chevy cut the nuts off their trucks.

Then came the new body style and the new interior that I just hate, the square fender wells and the interior looked like it came from a Toyota or Honda.

I sold my 06 Z71 with 95k and made the move to Ram which for me just was crazy and everyone I know asked me if I felt alright..lol
My 07 2500 6.7 bought with 95k on the clock was a good truck with a few problems that were mileage related and I lost a turbo that was costly but other wise a great truck.
Put 40 plus thousand miles on it before trading it in for my 16 Express which at this time I am very happy with and glad I made the purchase.
The up side is this Hemi and 8sp run like a scalded dog, it'll kill the back tires like a V8 should ne able to.

I did not look at Ford because I wont have a V6 truck and the 5.0 has to be screamed to get to the power, if you could still get the 6.2 L in the F150 I would have looked at them pretty hard.

I myself wont buy a foreign Truck/car so I only looked at the big 3.

OP
OP
barbosa

barbosa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I originally had a 2015 which was purchased new. That truck was bought back by FCA a few months ago as a lemon under CA law. Even after dealing with a lemon, I still went back to Ram and bought a new 2017. They are fantastic trucks! Can't stereotype the brand just for one lemon and I'm happy with my decision, even the second time around.

What kind of issues were you having that led to being bought back by FCA? I will have my mechanic look extra close at the exhaust manifolds and for any leaks.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will never buy a new truck again. What a colossal waste of money. And now the new trucks have too many trinkets and doodad that a prone to failure.

The only Ram I will buy is my Dad's 3500 cummins 6 speed once he decided to sell it. These 1500 are an absolute joke.

17373391_10155152209238552_502127231_o.jpg

OP
OP
barbosa

barbosa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will never buy a new truck again. What a colossal waste of money. And now the new trucks have too many trinkets and doodad that a prone to failure.

The only Ram I will buy is my Dad's 3500 cummins 6 speed once he decided to sell it. These 1500 are an absolute joke.

Interesting take. Could you go into any detail what issues you have had that would lead you to feel so strongly?

Sounds a lot like something my dad would say regarding any fairly modern technological advancements.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Look at used diesel prices. To get under 100k mile 4x4 Cummins everything I saw was over $30000. Then you gotta worry about front end parts, transmission etc. Bought my new truck for 35k with a warranty

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
since i'm on my third I can say yes I would buy again

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had an 05, 06, and now 17 Ram. Had an 06 Silverado z71 that was a massive waste of money. Some issues were GM and others weren't. The paint falling off of a well taken care of truck was their fault. The rear end needing re done twice was the 6 inch lifts fault. Still slightly soured me on GM so I went back to Ram and love it

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bought my '16 new and would absolutely buy a new one again. I would not, however, buy a used truck from anywhere or anyone. I am not a fan of buying used vehicles regardless, but especially with trucks I have no idea how people treated them or took care of them before me. Not worth potential headaches. Buying new I know I get warranties, peace of mind, etc.

No complaints with Ram. When I'm done with my '16 I will probably buy another new Ram. Who knows when that will be, but chances are I won't defect to a different brand unless I start having major issues at some point.

Other brands I have owned that I would absolutely buy new from again are Mazda and Honda. Brands I have owned and am now skeptical of are Ford and Subaru.