Wwyd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RWW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Minivan Motor
I have a 2016 crew cab Bighorn 4x4 with 9,100 miles that has been in the shop 4x for a total of 28 days and counting. Randomly the truck just would not start. I would come out and it would be completely dead. Anyway today I got the call that the truck has a bad spot in the wiring harness. The dealer is going to replace the harness and says that will fix the problem. I have talked to a "Lemon Law" lawyer who says I have a case for a replacement vehicle. My question is this...Would you trust the truck after the repair is made? What would the pros and cons be of seeking a replacement/repurchase from FCA?

In Ohio if you take the vehicle in for the same issue 3x and it isn't fixed, or the vehicle is out of service to you for a total of 30 days, the vehicle qualifies as a "lemon".

AcerOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
'13 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 hemmskii
Mopar parts warranty is pretty good so I would allow the dealer to make it right and offer a repair that meets your expectations. Issues happen.. so if it continues, id look at the lemon law but if you are getting a complete new harness and they are going to test it to make sure the vehicle is good, id go that route as most lemon laws arent just as easy as a straight trade type of thing.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
do you trust the service department? that would make the decision for me.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd go with the truck and the dealer on this if it is solved. If it isn't, and all other conditions are met with respects to your local or state "Lemon Law", then I'd use this last visit and diagnosis as more evidence to support your recovery under those laws.

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not my truck, so it's easy to say lemon law it. It shouldn't be a big deal to replace the harness depending on which one it is. If they have to rip half the truck apart to replace it then I would worry a bit about rattles down the road. Tell them your thinking about doing a lemon law and see if they'll give you an extended warranty if you keep it. The worst they can do is laugh at you.

OutlawTrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Lemon that *****. I had a 14 crew cab express lemoned for constant pcm failures. Went thru 4-5 computers in a year. Down for a month at a time per occurrence

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lemon law. No reason in having a brand new truck that don't work.

OP
OP
R

RWW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Minivan Motor
Today the owner of the dealership said Ram will probably give me an extended warranty, a years worth of oil changes. IDK if it's worth it or not. I like the truck, but question whether I can trust it. I also wonder, because the truck is flagged in the Ram system, would the trade-in value be diminished or would this show up on a carfax affecting the value down the road?

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Today the owner of the dealership said Ram will probably give me an extended warranty, a years worth of oil changes. IDK if it's worth it or not. I like the truck, but question whether I can trust it. I also wonder, because the truck is flagged in the Ram system, would the trade-in value be diminished or would this show up on a carfax affecting the value down the road?

Personally I would allow them to make it right and push for the extended warranty. If the problem is not fixed that would be the point where I would push the lemon law.

As far as the truck being flagged on Carfax, well it won't be unless it is reacquired through the buyback/lemon law process. I will say that your service visits are probably noted in the Carfax but it could be something as simple as "vehicle serviced" to "drive ability checked."

Reactions: RWW

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ask for a lifetime warranty. Don't have any concern about Carfax reports, a repair is not going to show up on Carfax.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
not to rain on any ones parade the wifes 2015 Chrysler 200c had the whole harness replaced when it was 3 months old its been 2 years no problems either than a pcm flash for a tranny shift fix that worked there was 2 other recalls pertaining to wire problems that did not have to be done because of the new harness.(really good service department) its your call but if the service in your dealership is good id keep it if your liking the truck

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
The question is how the harness got damaged. Is there an electrical problem, is the harness rubbing somewhere it shouldn't, or is it from critters?

I had squirrels eat a harness and kill a PCM once. I hate tree rats.

I'd give them the benefit to fix it, because harness issues do happen occasionally. If they replace that harness and you keep having problems, then definitely pursue Lemonade.

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ask for a lifetime warranty. Don't have any concern about Carfax reports, a repair is not going to show up on Carfax.

Repairs actually do show up on Carfax. I've seen them go from being specific from an alignment to like I said above, "drive ability checked." I guess it all depends on the service facility and how much information gets shared.

OP
OP
R

RWW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Minivan Motor
The question is how the harness got damaged. Is there an electrical problem, is the harness rubbing somewhere it shouldn't, or is it from critters?

I had squirrels eat a harness and kill a PCM once. I hate tree rats.

I'd give them the benefit to fix it, because harness issues do happen occasionally. If they replace that harness and you keep having problems, then definitely pursue Lemonade.

Service advisor said it was rubbing on the frame, which caused it to short out.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mopar parts warranty is pretty good so I would allow the dealer to make it right and offer a repair that meets your expectations. Issues happen.. so if it continues, id look at the lemon law but if you are getting a complete new harness and they are going to test it to make sure the vehicle is good, id go that route as most lemon laws arent just as easy as a straight trade type of thing.

Are they? I doubt it. They'll test the one issue that led to harness replacement, not the other 50 pins on the connecting harness.

I'd certainly be suspect. Trading one issue for a couple potential others.

From a tech standpoint i get it, but what other issues are going to Happenn from a harness replacement?
I also understand is likely routine protocol to attempt fix first, but dodge would but it back, fix it (or not??) And sell it to someone else so they're not losing anything and you're potentially gaining an electrical nightmare.

You just never get what you pay for ( especially when a company like an auto company is paying for the repair)

You likely have no choice but repair (lawyers...sheesh) so at least get something out of it in the long run. Whatever that is I dunno as dealerships can't offer anything worthwhile.

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
As others have stated, there is another option, meet with Chrysler's district manager through your dealership and negotiate a lifetime Mopar warranty, $0 deductible of course. This option only has real value if you plan on keeping the truck for several years.

I did this instead of forcing a buy-back on my 2013 but I also plan on keeping the truck which I still have. As time goes on, it is common to dump 2 or more thousand per year to keep an older vehicle rolling.

Last edited:

Yobuck139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a ton of electrical problems on 13 big horn. They replaced pcm and it was ok for awhile, but one thing led to the next and as time went on it was one electrical problem after another. They would not extend my warranty and offered free oil changes for 2 years which only adds up to 4 changes. The unit they took out of my truck is now in its 3rd vehicle. I was 2 days short of eleigible lemon law. I loved that truck but problem after problem with electronics. If you can't get max care I would persue lemon law

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963