xhaust manifold leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wielden

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003,2007, 2012
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 6.7 Cummins
03 2500 4x4 QC hemi

Notice when I had it on the rack that there was some oil residue around the #8 Cylinder at the exhaust manifold. Well pulled my skid loader with it yesterday and ****, now I have a very loud tick coming from this area, and can see the exhaust leak. Also see some smoke sometimes and smell a burnt smell at the exhaust. Could that be a plugged cat? Tranny fluid and filters just replaced so I' pretty sure the smell isn't from that. Want to fix it right but this thing is becoming a money pit. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!!

OP
OP
W

Wielden

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003,2007, 2012
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 6.7 Cummins
Crap
put this in the wrong Gen category!

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is very common for the manifolds to warp and break off the bolts on the ends. Usually the rear two. The heat shield should be attached to two studs. If you can grab it at the back and pull it away a little you will be able to see if those studs are broken. If that is the case, the manifold and all the bolts should be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

Wielden

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003,2007, 2012
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 6.7 Cummins
Sounds like a fun project! Would that leak also cause the oil residue on the side of the head around the manifold? And where would be the best place to get the manifold and bolts. Maybe Shorty headers if they're price similar?

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It will cause soot buildup. That can look like oil residue. Or a bad valve cover gasket if it is oil. I had the same thing happen on mine and went with headers and stage 8 bolts. I had broken bolts on both sides. Figured if I was going through all the work I would make it worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk