09 up step notch install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DHPmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok peeps, heres the pics from the install of the 2009 Dodge Ram step notch install. This fits under the stock bed floor with 1/4" of clearance. No bed cutting at all!

Heres the text and pics from dfwminis.com where I first posted this...

Ok, Update on this. Heres all the pics starting at the beginning. I will add some text here as I come up with it.

I will also make an article on my website. First we started by putting the truck on stands. 2 under the cab just behind the front wheels where the frame is flat, 2 under the back of the cab, 2 under the front of the frame and 2 under the rear of the frame just forward of the bumper. We put spark paper on the cab and fuel tank. We then took the grinder to all the areas where we would be welding.

dodgestepnotch10.jpg

We then marked the area where the brackets would come up to.

dodgestepnotch11.jpg

We marked the top and sides of the frame for squaring and measurement.

dodgestepnotch12.jpg

We then cut the factory upper coil spring pockets off. We used a grinder with a cutoff wheel where possible and a plasma cutter on the rest.

dodgestepnotch13.jpg

This area being curved is a pain in the ass to measure and square so we went off the bed mounts and cross measured.

dodgestepnotch14.jpg

We then cut the inside mount off, which has the stops on it.

dodgestepnotch15.jpg

We notched holes in the corners to have a flat area in the middle to build off of. This flat area and these lines are what we used to line up the new brackets.

dodgestepnotch16.jpg

This plate as well as the rest were installed one at a time on both sides to assure level and straight. This will be all welded together on the main piece in the plate kit.

dodgestepnotch17.jpg

From the top view you can see why we cut the corner holes, to allow the plate to be flat against the small flat part in the middle of the big curved area. This area lines up the mounts. Bags would fit in this area easily.

dodgestepnotch18.jpg

We checked our measurements repeatedly from the cab mounts and cross measured for accuracy.

dodgestepnotch19.jpg

OP
OP
D

DHPmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We made sure the center plates were straight on both side. Now you can see why we cut the corners out of this area. It was to have a flat surface to weld the plates to. On the production version the center section, which is this part here, the top plate and inside plate will all be welded together. All you will have to do for this part is cut the corners like in this pic and slid it down over the frame where its 2" above the top of the frame.

dodgestepnotch20.jpg

as you can see we measured from the front bed mount, thru the shock mount so it was a straight shot.

dodgestepnotch21.jpg

We made the front plate mark at 24" straight across the frame. This is where we wanted the front angle plate to end at. all templates we made to this.

dodgestepnotch22.jpg

Not much left of the bottom of the frame but with the stands under it we were sure it did not move.

dodgestepnotch23.jpg

The next step was to add on the spring cups. The cups were pre made on the table then put on here with the plate across the top to assure level and straight.

dodgestepnotch24.jpg

dodgestepnotch25.jpg

These braces were cut for the sides. They were also welded on while the upper brace was clamped down to prevent warpage. The braces for the bag setup will be curved to clear bags.

dodgestepnotch26.jpg

dodgestepnotch27.jpg

We then installed the front side pieces.

dodgestepnotch28.jpg

dodgestepnotch29.jpg

These pieces had templates made one at a time for both sides. Then both side were installed together.

OP
OP
D

DHPmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
dodgestepnotch30.jpg

We next installed the rear side pieces and they were different from side to side due to the panhard bar mount.

dodgestepnotch31.jpg

We next capped the tops off.

dodgestepnotch32.jpg

dodgestepnotch33.jpg

The inside pieces were next. We plated everything we could to make it strong as possible and tie in to the strongest parts of the frame, where the mounts are.

dodgestepnotch34.jpg

This is the panhard mount. If you already have a drop mount you will need to take it off and install this. This mount has slotted holes for up and down adjustment.

dodgestepnotch35.jpg

dodgestepnotch36.jpg

Heres the mounts for the 4 link bars. These drop the 4 link bars to be level, or close to it depending on wheel size you get alot more clearance. As you can see here the sway bar mounts are on the back of the 4 link mount just like stock.

dodgestepnotch38.jpg

dodgestepnotch39.jpg

I will have pics of the finished center pieces soon.

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CC Hemi Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn...wanna use mine as a project?

mitchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lookin' good!

Coley are you fist pumping in your truck?

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hell if this was not my DD I would send it down for you guys to mess with but I can't be without my truck for that long.

OP
OP
D

DHPmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
** Update **

I have one set of the pieces cut out for someone to install. I wont be doing it myself, no time. I will have to wait for someone to buy the pieces and install them.

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
** Update **

I have one set of the pieces cut out for someone to install. I wont be doing it myself, no time. I will have to wait for someone to buy the pieces and install them.

Which pieces and what are they for?

OP
OP
D

DHPmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The pieces for the 2009 and up rear step notch, 4 link mounts and panhard bar mount.

Its the one that fits under the bed. The same as the one in the pics.

OP
OP
D

DHPmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
page is up on the website. I have one set cut out and in stock.

The step notch is sold seperately from the 4 link tabs and the panhard relocating tabs.