1/2 drop with Crown Suspension springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
I also added an OEM swaybar, and lowering shocks.
I also want to add an adjustable panhard bar, but that's just because I'm OC, its not really needed.

OP
OP
J

Jetmaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Right on. I'm planning to add a rear sway, and maybe replace the front. Wasn't sure about shocks, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get new ones. Might get bags for the rear. Thanks for the pics and words

Thanks to everyone for the help. Mucho appreciado

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
The only reason I got the shocks was because the factory shocks allow Your axle to travel the factory distance down when its put on a lift....leaving the springs unseated and swaying in the breeze. Adding drop shocks makes it so that the axle doesn't drop as much, leaving the springs seated correctly when on the lift.
Hope that made sense.

OP
OP
J

Jetmaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Made perfect sense. I never considered that. I'm gonna talk with my buddy about this and see what he thinks, since I might be using his garage for the install

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well I managed to get Crown on the phone.

They told me their springs are about 20% stiffer than the factory springs. Additionally, the rear springs are a single spring rate, not the two stage spring rate you see on the stock springs. They based their spring off the higher of the two OEM spring rates.

OP
OP
J

Jetmaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
20% sounds good. I actually think the ride could be a little firmer for my comfort. I saw a comparison picture and the CS spring was thicker than the stock one

After doing a little checking around, I've decided I'm going to do the 1/2 with the CS springs with helper bags in the rear. I'm also gonna get the Hellwig rear sway and MAYBE the Spohn panhard bar if it's more than, say, 10cm off zero - idk though, I'm just pulling that # out of my ass. I'll have to see what my suspension guy says (he did tell me that it doesn't have to be perfect zero)

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I met a guy last weekend that has the Crown 2/4 drop springs and has also had the belltech kit. I talked to him about the differences and how he like it compared to the belltech.

Basically, he loves the crown springs. He says they handle WAY better than the belltech. I looked at the truck and the rears are the two stage progressive like the OEM's.

He's trading the truck back in like a month, so I'm trying to convince him to sell me his springs.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Found another 3/4 view pic..... :D

Attachments

• truck13.jpg
    truck13.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
J

Jetmaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dude, that looks great! That is seriously what I think the stock ride height should be. It's so much more attractive than the Steve Erkel highwater stock height those crazy goofballs at Mopar did. It looks like it wants to twerk!! I ain't a-havin' no twerkin' truck!

FlynDutchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Looks good, I have a CC 2wd Sport and trying to decide between the 1-2 drop or 2-3 drop. I occasionally put a sportbike in the bed to haul to the racetrack and don't want to bottom out on everything in the road. I know I can add the helper bags to help with the bottoming out issue. Does anyone have any pictures of a CC 2wd with the 1-2 drop and stock 20" wheels?

DERJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I met a guy last weekend that has the Crown 2/4 drop springs and has also had the belltech kit. I talked to him about the differences and how he like it compared to the belltech.

Basically, he loves the crown springs. He says they handle WAY better than the belltech. I looked at the truck and the rears are the two stage progressive like the OEM's.

He's trading the truck back in like a month, so I'm trying to convince him to sell me his springs.

I have to second his comment - I just replaced my Belltech 4" rear drop springs with a set of Crown 4" drop springs and it's crazy how much better they feel. No more bounce like I had before. Still need to let them settle, but it's so much better.

Here's a picture of the Belltech 4" drop spring (on the left) compared to the Crown 4" drop spring (on the right):

IMG_3130_zpsh5bildfx.jpg

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just so I understand from reading all of the way through. 1/2" crown springs in the front and 2" ground force in the rear? I like the pictures the I saw and think that would look great on my truck as well. The stock height doesn't bother me too much bt a little lower would be a lot better looking.

I do tow a 19' trailer from time to time so I would just replace my bags with the durango ones.

Anyway, just confirm it for me and i'll start looking into it.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never mind, i'm stupid and wasn't putting it together you guys meant 1/2 drop. I'm game.

For those of you that used lowering springs, which ones did you get? The Belltech ones have very mixed reviews. Some like them, other think they are junk.

I' have always been very hesitant about lowering my truck but like the mild look.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have to second his comment - I just replaced my Belltech 4" rear drop springs with a set of Crown 4" drop springs and it's crazy how much better they feel. No more bounce like I had before. Still need to let them settle, but it's so much better.

Here's a picture of the Belltech 4" drop spring (on the left) compared to the Crown 4" drop spring (on the right):

IMG_3130_zpsh5bildfx.jpg

Just based on that picture I'm sold.

Lowering springs should be shorter and stiffer, not the same length as stock.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I am going to order up a set also, 1" lowers in the front and order up a drop spindles and a set of the 4" drops for the rear that I will modify to the match the height I am at now.

The main thing I'm curious about with using a 1" crown spring upfront mixed with a drop spindle is what my steering tie rod angles will be, thinking it will be better then what they are now.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I am going to order up a set also, 1" lowers in the front and order up a drop spindles and a set of the 4" drops for the rear that I will modify to the match the height I am at now.

The main thing I'm curious about with using a 1" crown spring upfront mixed with a drop spindle is what my steering tie rod angles will be, thinking it will be better then what they are now.

Do it! Anyone has some 20" wheels and tires laying around? This makes me want to drop my truck again.

DERJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just based on that picture I'm sold.

Lowering springs should be shorter and stiffer, not the same length as stock.

Keep us posted on how the Crown front springs compare to Belltech and the others... I want to get some too to replace my Belltech 2" drop, but I'd like to know how much that actually drop the front - I've heard the Crown 2" front springs don't really give you 2 inches of drop and I'm torn between getting the 2" or 3" springs.

BTW - I can tell you that the springs ship fast - I ordered on a Monday and had them at my house by Thursday...

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do it! Anyone has some 20" wheels and tires laying around? This makes me want to drop my truck again.

I dooooo!! :happy107:

13103497_10208396567545589_6169250796971102879_n_zps8kdclzc2.jpg

Wheels are in good shape. Tires are still on them but they're mostly used up. No TPMS.

Keep us posted on how the Crown front springs compare to Belltech and the others... I want to get some too to replace my Belltech 2" drop, but I'd like to know how much that actually drop the front - I've heard the Crown 2" front springs don't really give you 2 inches of drop and I'm torn between getting the 2" or 3" springs.

BTW - I can tell you that the springs ship fast - I ordered on a Monday and had them at my house by Thursday...

I'm trying to convince the guy I bought my bed cover from to sell my his springs used... Be a lot cheaper. If I don't get a verdict this week I'll order from Crown.