2015 lowered 2/4, can I go lower?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rileybrennan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
4x4 truck. I've got gf springs on the front and 4" mcgaughys on the back. Has anyone gone lower on the 4x4? Any issues and or reasons to do it or not?

Attachments

• IMG_1144.jpg
    IMG_1144.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 70

Rhino42035

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would like to know this answer as well, that and figure out where to get the lowering kits in general. All I seem to keep seeing are lift kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Saw you at wall-mart prince of whales a few weekends ago, small world. Nice ram!

You can add Mcgaughys front drop spindles which with net about 1.5" more drop and trim the rear as you please.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Yes you can, the question is do you want to spend the money required to do it.

The rear is easy: cut the top coils off your drop springs, cut out the bump stop cups completely, get the Illicit Customs rear control arm relocation kit, buy shorter shocks, and you can can get the rear down a total of 7" and still have 4" of suspension travel; you may need to cut out the 5th wheel hitch horn that hangs down to prevent the rear diff from hitting it.

The front is where it gets interesting: run the Ground Force 2" drop springs and the McGaughy's 2" drop spindles. With the change in the CV angles you'll tear up inner CV joints very quickly as soon as it's in 4wd. You can fix this if you can find Kore Offroad high angle inner CV joints if they do a run of them which has been rare lately; or you can get a set of inner joints from a Porche 944 and build an inner CV yourself. The front sway bar will be out to lunch so you'll need a shorter tie-rod but the F150 ones that the 2wd guys run doesn't work for the 4wd, I bent a set in 3 days, I've only found the long version of the Chris Alston Chassisworks end links that held up but they're a maintenance item and need to be replaced completely every few years. If you ever try to run a set of 17" wheels you will need to trim the lower balljoint stud flush with the nut so it's either 20" or larger.

A 31.4" tires rubs on the sway bar, possibly on the firewall pinch weld, and I tend to wear through inner fender liners

Attachments

• IMG_1215.jpg
    IMG_1215.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
rileybrennan

rileybrennan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes you can, the question is do you want to spend the money required to do it.

The rear is easy: cut the top coils off your drop springs, cut out the bump stop cups completely, get the Illicit Customs rear control arm relocation kit, buy shorter shocks, and you can can get the rear down a total of 7" and still have 4" of suspension travel; you may need to cut out the 5th wheel hitch horn that hangs down to prevent the rear diff from hitting it.

The front is where it gets interesting: run the Ground Force 2" drop springs and the McGaughy's 2" drop spindles. With the change in the CV angles you'll tear up inner CV joints very quickly as soon as it's in 4wd. You can fix this if you can find Kore Offroad high angle inner CV joints if they do a run of them which has been rare lately; or you can get a set of inner joints from a Porche 944 and build an inner CV yourself. The front sway bar will be out to lunch so you'll need a shorter tie-rod but the F150 ones that the 2wd guys run doesn't work for the 4wd, I bent a set in 3 days, I've only found the long version of the Chris Alston Chassisworks end links that held up but they're a maintenance item and need to be replaced completely every few years. If you ever try to run a set of 17" wheels you will need to trim the lower balljoint stud flush with the nut so it's either 20" or larger.

A 31.4" tires rubs on the sway bar, possibly on the firewall pinch weld, and I tend to wear through inner fender liners

Thank you very much for the detailed response! I'll be looking into what this all costs

OP
OP
rileybrennan

rileybrennan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Saw you at wall-mart prince of whales a few weekends ago, small world. Nice ram!

You can add Mcgaughys front drop spindles which with net about 1.5" more drop and trim the rear as you please.

Hahaha yeah I like to park where it can be seen, thanks man

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Thank you very much for the detailed response! I'll be looking into what this all costs

I should also say that if you only want 3" down in the front you can run the GF drop springs and the 2wd spindles. This combo doesn't need anything special for the CVs as they're fine at that height.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hahaha yeah I like to park where it can be seen, thanks man

Are you in Regina? Would be nice to get a little meet together for us lowered guys. Seems like everyone around is into mud tires and lifts.

OP
OP
rileybrennan

rileybrennan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are you in Regina? Would be nice to get a little meet together for us lowered guys. Seems like everyone around is into mud tires and lifts.

Nope Estevan, check out sask street trucks page on Facebook we will be meeting in Regina and stoon this summer for sure. Yeah we're definitely out numbered hahaha