2015 tradesman 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riverss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
has any one lowered a 2500 with coil springs on the rear? need to drop it about 2" so 5th wheel will have more clearance to bed rails. i have not ha any luck finding replacement coil springs.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm confused? is the angle to the 5th wheel to truck ride height off to where it puts a steep angle on the 5th wheel where it comes close to the bed rails at the rear of the bed? or is it neck on the 5th wheel height to bed rail thats the issue??

OP
OP
R

riverss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
the older 5th wheels over hang is a bit lower than the newer ones and the newer trucks are a bit taller than the older ones and it is best to have at least 6 inches of clearance between the bed rails and the bottom side of the 5th wheel overhang to allow for changes of street angles going in gas stations ,drives, park sites, etc. I feel that altering the ride height [roll center] on the trailer is a bad idea even tho people do it. the Ram sits a bit taller in the rear and the springs are stiff. to reduce the unladen height so the truck sits about level would do the trick but i can not find shorter replacement rear coils for the 2500. if the need should come up after the shorter springs are installed i could install helper air bags to ofset the heavy pin weight but my calculations do not forsee that.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would think the only thing you could do is to maybe cut a coil off the spring. I've never heard of different 2500 springs to lower it.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this a budget thing? if not converter the rear to a airbag system to replace the coil, then its adjustable with any weight and ride for towing and not just specific to that trailer.

I didn't spend much time researching them for 2015's but something like this, should be pretty easy to do with it already being coil. I'm sure a HD airbag conversion kit will soon follow. I know Thuren fab is working on some stuff for the rears.. may talk to them to see if they can make you a custom height rear spring with the weight rating you need.

Air Ride suspension or air bag suspension for pickups and heavy trucks

or get your hands on whatever parts make this
2014-2016 Ram Heavy Duty pickups

OP
OP
R

riverss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
i am not a fan of air springs/ride. leaks always happen at the most inopportune time. air assist is OK. before i would alter the original springs i would have to get the specs to be sure i was helping not hurting the situation. i could also do a comparison on some existing coil springs that just might work but this info is hard to find.

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I'll bump this thread, as I also am interested in lowering my '15 2500 4x4 Tradesman. It's my farm truck, so I haul hay and the like. Want to get the thing lower for loading drop bales and simply to be easier to get in and out of, too.

So far have not been able to find any lowering springs for the 2500. Kelderman makes a replacement air bag setup that drops normal ride height 2" below stock, and aired out another 3-4" from that. That would work perfect, but it's quite spendy to get there.

Have also been trying to find info on the spring rates for all the coils used on all versions of the 2500, but no joy.

Final thought was on whether 1500 coils will fit the 2500, and that comes up bust when searching, too (I did find several guys who went the other way, but they all had older gen trucks).

es

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You most definitely don't want to put a set of 1500 coils in your truck. You will lose your hauling capacity. And may have as well bought a 1500 series truck. Your best bet will probably be to trim a half coil off the top of your springs and see how much that drops your ride height.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
You most definitely don't want to put a set of 1500 coils in your truck. You will lose your hauling capacity. And may have as well bought a 1500 series truck. Your best bet will probably be to trim a half coil off the top of your springs and see how much that drops your ride height.

If the 1500 springs would fit, my thought was to look into HD aftermarket springs for the ½ ton, that might be less "HD" than my OEM 2500 springs. I wouldn't mind giving up a little load capacity (but not to the point where I should have bought a 1500 in the first place!).

I've cut coils on cars when I were a younger man. It works, but boy does it stiffen the ride! Last thing I need on this truck. (c:

es

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
has any one lowered a 2500 with coil springs on the rear? need to drop it about 2" so 5th wheel will have more clearance to bed rails. i have not ha any luck finding replacement coil springs.

No, no you don't.

Lower your pin box. Raise your 5th wheel hitch. Both are far better options.

If you lower your pin box make sure you use new number 8 bolts to remount it so you don't have any accidents on the road.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'll bump this thread, as I also am interested in lowering my '15 2500 4x4 Tradesman. It's my farm truck, so I haul hay and the like. Want to get the thing lower for loading drop bales and simply to be easier to get in and out of, too.

So far have not been able to find any lowering springs for the 2500. Kelderman makes a replacement air bag setup that drops normal ride height 2" below stock, and aired out another 3-4" from that. That would work perfect, but it's quite spendy to get there.

Have also been trying to find info on the spring rates for all the coils used on all versions of the 2500, but no joy.

Final thought was on whether 1500 coils will fit the 2500, and that comes up bust when searching, too (I did find several guys who went the other way, but they all had older gen trucks).

es

If you cut the springs to shorten them you take out important rates (springs are variable rate) and you can either stiffen the ride to the point its worse then a 4500 or you could take out all the stiffness and have almost no payload.

No, you're better off doing full spring replacement airbag system, if there is one.

For ease of getting in and out of bed get one of these.

AMP Research BedStep - Truck Bed Tailgate Step - Free Shipping

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
No, no you don't.

Lower your pin box. Raise your 5th wheel hitch. Both are far better options.

If you lower your pin box make sure you use new number 8 bolts to remount it so you don't have any accidents on the road.

This guy seems to know what he is talking about.

My thought was smaller tires?

bikesandcars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
I joined this forum for this thread. I've been shopping for ram 2500's, a 1500 won't tow my trailer and i want a cummins. I dont like the high rear either, and would really like to know more about what's available. They have been out for 2 years, I'm suprised there's no aftermarket. I've searched google for over an hour and there isn't anything except full air. I would like softer and lower rear springs with an air bag helper, but can't find it.