2/4 belltech drop ride is starting to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so i have a rcsb with a 2/4 belltech springs only.
i installed it about 14k miles ago(truck has 18k) and starting today the ride is trash every little bump i feel, it super rough on the freeway. Anyone know whats going on or what i should check out? i look under and everything looks alright.
i know nothing about lowering kit or suspension, any suggestions or replays would be greatly appreciated

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
What shocks do you have? you can always upgrade to the QA1's and adjust to your liking.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Upgrade your shocks to quality ones as recommended above.. they will bring alot of the ride you had back. Stay away from the belltech shocks as they are under rated for the front end. Mine did the same thing as yours... I just haven't changed the shocks yet... don't want to waste the money when I have other plans instore

OP
OP
M

maple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So i have stock shocks front and back also stock bump stop location with bell tech bumpstops fromt and back
I installed the kit myself and everything was great ride was good out of no where it started to ride crappy

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you look under the truck, do you have much clearance between the bump stop and the front control arm and/or rear axcel
The reason I ask- I've got about 30000 miles on my Belltech kit and its damm near settled to riding on the bump stops- it's a little rough on poor roads. Wasn't like that when the kit was new
I'm curious how much can be cut off the Belltech bump stops or who makes shorter ones....

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
So i have stock shocks front and back also stock bump stop location with bell tech bumpstops fromt and back
I installed the kit myself and everything was great ride was good out of no where it started to ride crappy

Did you actually cut the front bumpstop cup off?

rtorres51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same problem with stock shocks. I put some Belltech shocks on. Their shocks are better now. they are redesigned and beefier. The ride is much better. I got my at AutoAnything. If you call, they will give you a discount most of the time.

Front shock #10103I
Rear Shock #2212FF

To remove rear shocks, remove inner wheel well liners. Need to buy a 21mm wrench, and cut in half. I got my wrench at Home Depot. It was about $6. No need to go out and buy an expensive "Crow Foot Wrench". You need the shorten wrench to get to the back upper shock nut. There is no room for a socket or regular wrench. You can use the box end or the open end of shorty wrench. The shock nuts and bolts are 21mm. Took me about 30 minutes each side. Front shocks are straight forward installation.

They is a couple of videos on YouTube. Just search for Lifted Ram trucks. Just fast forward to where they remove rear shocks.

Hopefully this helps you out.

d_korecky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same thing as what sicmadek said above did you actually cut the front bump stop cup off like bell tech tells you too?

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
stock shocks with 4" of drop...your shocks were bound to get trashed sooner or later. replace all 4 with the appropriate shocks.

Der2z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram express
Engine
Guarantee its the bump stops.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Belltech shocks and after 19k miles they are junk. Right front and left rear are bad. I still recommend using a QA1 adjustable shock.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I have QA1 double adjustables on mine, and have tried many different settings. I have yet to find any setting that truly makes a noticeable difference in ride quality over the Belltech shocks. No doubt, they are a higher quality shock, but I didn't see near the improvement in ride quality that I was hoping for.

OP
OP
M

maple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a set of bell tech proformance shock that I haven't installed yet, I guess I'll be putting them in within the next few days and take it from there, I'm planning on getting lowering spindles so I really don't want to cut my stock bump stop cups hopefully the shocks will fix the ride

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have QA1 double adjustables on mine, and have tried many different settings. I have yet to find any setting that truly makes a noticeable difference in ride quality over the Belltech shocks. No doubt, they are a higher quality shock, but I didn't see near the improvement in ride quality that I was hoping for.

Thats good to know, but how about how long they last... I have read many claims that they don't last very long and give out prematurely. That's why I recommended the others. Although you could buy 2 sets of BT with one set of QA1's.

When will someone make a adjustable coil over damnit!!!
EDIT: oh yeah I just remembered you were working on a rear set up.... hurry up and share for those of us salivating on here :-D

Last edited:

lilzilla2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I noticed earlier today that mine is sitting on the front bump stops, didnt realize it has settled that much. Guess next on my mod list is some better shocks. Im assuming putting good shocks on will fix it to not ride on the bump stops right?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
It riding on the bump stops means the springs have settled and has nothing to do with shocks. Did you cut the stock front bumpstop cups off, or just press the bumpstop in the cup?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
When will someone make a adjustable coil over damnit!!!
EDIT: oh yeah I just remembered you were working on a rear set up.... hurry up and share for those of us salivating on here :-D

My new setup is very far from being bolt on, but here is a teaser of where I'm at right now...

coilover_zpswfkefxil.jpg

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My new setup is very far from being bolt on

I wouldn't expect it to be, as neither is what I have in mind too

Looks sweet though and like you did what I was thinking and made the 4 link bars parallel like they should be. I'm assuming you will be putting a cross member to the rear to mount the coils or will they be going in the "knockout" in the frame over the axle tube?

I'll PM you or just wait till you make a thread to not clog up this topic.