2" rear leveling kit question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2016 Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Newbie here.
2016 ram crew cab 4x4 hemi
Would like to level out the rear of the truck with the front by lowering the rear. Been looking at 2" kits from McCaughey and groundforce.
1- can u cut the rear springs?
2- which kit is best?
3- are new rear shocks needed?
4- is a new panhard bar necessary?
Appreciate the input and maybe someone will benefit from all these questions answered in one place.
Thanks, Joel

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2" rear leveling kit question

1. You can cut the springs. I'm not sure how much to cut the factories.

2. I ran a Mcgauhys kit. I liked it. Others ran the Belltech. Use whichever you get the best deal on.

3. You won't need new shocks.

4. No need for the relocation bracket until you go down until a 4" drop.

Also. I've got a set of 2" springs laying around my garage somewhere. If you want them. Let me set up a paypal account and we could do business. If you want.
Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Ran the Groundforce on my 2011, LOVED it, simple 40 minute install, sat perfectly level.
The kit comes with two new stocks, no need for alignment afterwards.

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
running mcgaughy's 2" drop on mine. Aligned within spec without other components. From what i hear aftermarket struts are not needed from that small of a drop, but I'm sure they will wear quicker than stock height. Ride was a little worse than stock but not much.

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
1. You can cut the springs. I'm not sure how much to cut the factories.

2. I ran a Mcgauhys kit. I liked it. Others ran the Belltech. Use whichever you get the best deal on.

3. You won't need new shocks.

4. No need for the relocation bracket until you go down until a 4" drop.

Also. I've got a set of 2" springs laying around my garage somewhere. If you want them. Let me set up a paypal account and we could do business. If you want.
Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket
How much you thinking for your springs?

2015 ram sport 4x4

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Newbie here.
2016 ram crew cab 4x4 hemi
Would like to level out the rear of the truck with the front by lowering the rear. Been looking at 2" kits from McCaughey and groundforce.
1- can u cut the rear springs?
2- which kit is best?
3- are new rear shocks needed?
4- is a new panhard bar necessary?
Appreciate the input and maybe someone will benefit from all these questions answered in one place.
Thanks, Joel

I cut the stock springs. It rides like stock, and I mostly use the truck to tow our 32' trailer.
I didn't change the rear shocks or panhard bar. Rides like stock:)

OP
OP

2016 Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much did you cut? Did it level the truck? Pics?

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much did you cut? Did it level the truck? Pics?

I'm not sure I have the leftover pieces anymore... Start with half a coil. It's ridiculously easy to remove the rear springs and you can always cut more.
On my first attempt, we cut so much it exactly leveled it, and I hated it (that was about -3" in the rear). When towing, it sat on the bumpstops.
Take 2 (new stock springs): cut half as much to begin with, -2" in the rear, still just a touch of rake left, tows like stock, looks great. Here's how she sits (out driveway has some incline to it)

Attachments

• Waxed-July_13.jpg
    Waxed-July_13.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 201

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if you drop the truck in the rear even by 2", the alignment in the front will go out and there is no way to get it back to spec without a adjustable panhard bar.
I bought mine and i took it to get aligned and the rear thrust angle was off by .2 degrees

you will be fine with the stock shocks!

black_pearl18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
alignment

Well actually raising and lowering the back can effect the front. Even with a load, you dont notice much. But if you where to put a heavy enough load on the back of your truck it will stretch your front suspension and cause the tires to camber out and would ride one the outter edge of your tire. Dropping or raising an inch or two wont hurt much with loads, but if its a permanent adjustment front will need realigned.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cut my springs.I bought a set of stock springs someone on the forum took off their ram so I didn't have to cut my stock springs in case I didn't like it. I cut 1.5 coils and it now sits just slightly higher in the back instead of the 3+ it was sitting before. No changes as far as ride quality or none that i can notice any way and I only tow on occasion but I haven't since I cut them. I also bought a set of bags in case I need to install them if it sags when I do tow. The rear springs are easy to remove whether you're cutting or replacing them. The whole job only took me about 45 mins to remove, cut and reinstall

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not the best picture but it's the only one I have of it since I cut the springs. Maybe it will give you an idea anyway 20160309_125623_zpsoydbmdjr.jpg"]20160309_125623_zpsoydbmdjr.jpg[/URL]

OP
OP

2016 Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool, thanks guys.
Does anyone else have any feedback on cutting or dropping and alignment? Not really sure about this really causing an issue. If it was an adjustable panhard bar would fix.