3/5 drop guys...what's your measurements?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdmontonSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah, they are the smaller drop ones. I like the low look though, but might have to get creative to get that low :p

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there's a member on here that has issues with Crown Suspension springs. They fall out of their perch when the truck is put on a lift. You'll need to install shocks with less extended height than the stock shocks to make the Crown Springs work

Last edited:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there's a member on here that has issues with Crown Suspension springs. They fall out of their perch when the truck is put on a lift. You'll need to install shocks with less extended height than the stock shocks to make the Crown Springs work

That makes sense, as with a spring that short you will have more travel of the suspension in a droop situation than the spring will expand, either a shorter shock or what is done in the crawler world with limiting straps.

All things to think about when modifying a suspension and what happens when the suspension is cycled both up and down. Most forget about the droop portion

What I have been contemplating is using McGaughys 2" lowering spindles then adding a crown 1" drop spring up front. I have also though of doing this same with the spindles and using bags instead of coils.

Last edited:

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
I got a set of 2 drop springs coming. If that doesn't fix the problem, I'll have to buy some Mcgauhys or Belltechs.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
A properly made lowering spring would have a spring rate proportionally higher to the reduction in suspension travel. That means the spring also has to be proportionally shorter than the stock spring to achieve a lowered stance. You have to limit your suspension travel or mount the springs to hold them in.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a single company out there that makes springs like that.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately, I don't think there's a single company out there that makes springs like that.

Thats why I suggested a limiting strap, its a common thing on TJ, JK or 3 link set ups that have amazing articulation...

mikennrg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 4'' McGaugphys springs on my truck were nearly the same length as my stock springs. They are progressive springs with a top section that collapses once the weight of a vehicle is applied to them. They ain't going anywhere. I can't speak for other company's springs.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The 4'' McGaugphys springs on my truck were nearly the same length as my stock springs. They are progressive springs with a top section that collapses once the weight of a vehicle is applied to them. They ain't going anywhere. I can't speak for other company's springs.
That's one way to do it. Problem is that section usually has to have a super low spring rate to have the same length, so it's essentially worthless.

That's how my Belltech springs were

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's one way to do it. Problem is that section usually has to have a super low spring rate to have the same length, so it's essentially worthless.

what springs do you have now?

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
what springs do you have now?

I went back to stock for now until I can source a proper set of springs. I may just end up doing airbags since I can adjust the spring rate on them and a "custom" airbag setup really isn't that expensive compared to a custom coilover setup.

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went back to stock for now until I can source a proper set of springs. I may just end up doing airbags since I can adjust the spring rate on them and a "custom" airbag setup really isn't that expensive compared to a custom coilover setup.

hmmmm interesting... what bag setup you thinking of going with?
I've always wondered why we don't have many people with bags on their truck.

mikennrg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Useless an in the springs performance? Yes. Useless as far as keeping the spring from falling out? No.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
hmmmm interesting... what bag setup you thinking of going with?
I've always wondered why we don't have many people with bags on their truck.
Not sure yet. Might be custom.
Useless an in the springs performance? Yes. Useless as far as keeping the spring from falling out? No.
I agree, but the whole point of a progressive spring is to get a progressive ride, not to keep the spring in. That's what shorter shocks are for.