4x4 lowered struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, its been a while since ive been on, been busy with life. Anyways, Im just curious as to what you lowered 4x4 guys are running for front struts? Mine re starting to leak and just seeing what a good upgrade would be. Should I stick with just oem struts with the drop coils or should I go to say a bilstein 5100 or something of that nature, I know a lot of the lifted guys are happy with them. or are there any other recommendations? I dont know of anyone who is making full blown lowering coilovers for our trucks or else I would go that route.

Thanks in advance,

Cody

TSINND

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 6.7
I used bilstein struts set a stock height with mcgaughys spindles. Worked great.

TSINND

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 6.7
Here is a pic for reference. My truck is a 2014 big horn 4x4

Attachments

• 20160818_075625.jpg
    20160818_075625.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 110

TSINND

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 6.7
There also is a couple guys running spindles and drop springs but you will need kore cv axles if going this route

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
If you're just using the 2" drop coils then run any stock length strut you want, they all have enough compression to comfortably run the shorter coils. I've gone through 3 different sets of shocks and now I'm running the Rancho RS999808, they're the only front adjustable shock that fits stock length without going to King or Fox shocks and paying for it. I had the 5100s for about 3 months but was not impressed with the handling of the shock from a performance stand point.

OP
OP
Bigdaddycodes

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am currently running the Mcgaughys deluxe drop with 2 inches in the front but have a set of 2 inch ground force drop springs sitting in my shop here I want to put on as well to make it 4 inches in the front. It is basically just a weekend cruiser now and a few trips down the drag strip every summer. Ill have to look into those ranchos some more, I like how they are adjustable. Also does anyone have a link to those Kore Cv axles? I did a quick search but couldnt find anything on kores website, almost like they arent offered anymore? Thanks for the replies guys

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Try contacting Kore directly, they've pulled them off their website in the past but still offer them. Tim@Kore is a member on here as well, he might be able to help.

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the 5100s for about 3 months but was not impressed with the handling of the shock from a performance stand point.

Any chance you can elaborate on the 5100s not performing? I'm currently running the GF 2/3 kit and am in need of replacing the shocks. Thought these would be a good setup?
Are they any better than the GF lowering shocks?

My truck is barely a DD and doesn't get a lot of km each year. Other than a few trips to the store each week and towing a trailer in the summer I thought the 5100s would be a good fit for my situation.
Would still like a good performing shock with out going as far as getting the QA1s.

Appreciate any feed back you have,
Andrew

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
the 5100 shock is designed to be elongated with the leveling system and you lose a further 2" of plunge with the lowering springs. I found the ride particularly abrupt with the 5100s and my front tires would lose contact on bumps going through corners. I'm very handling oriented and push my truck through a lot harder things than most people, so when I find something that doesn't work properly it gets changed, the 5100s were an improvement over stock but lacking in real performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the 5100 shock is designed to be elongated with the leveling system and you lose a further 2" of plunge with the lowering springs. I found the ride particularly abrupt with the 5100s and my front tires would lose contact on bumps going through corners. I'm very handling oriented and push my truck through a lot harder things than most people, so when I find something that doesn't work properly it gets changed, the 5100s were an improvement over stock but lacking in real performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really appreciate the response. :favorites13: thanks.

I kind of figured that would be the answer.
I'm not in a place to be blowing my wod on QA1's yet so I guess I'll go with a full set of GF shocks.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Really appreciate the response. :favorites13: thanks.

I kind of figured that would be the answer.
I'm not in a place to be blowing my wod on QA1's yet so I guess I'll go with a full set of GF shocks.

QA1 doesn't make a set of front struts for the 4wd, they only make front shocks for the 2wd which is why I've been looking for handling-oriented struts and so far the RS9000s have been the best ones yet. I'm running the rear QA1s only because it's the only dual valve option I can find.

13bighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Don't think he's on here but there's a guy up near Ottawa in Canada that's going to start making 4x4 drop kits. From just your basic drop all the way down to 5/7 Track ready. He's already made the first bag kit for a 4x4 and ride tech approached him for the blueprints for it. This is his Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/roadgrater/

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
Don't think he's on here but there's a guy up near Ottawa in Canada that's going to start making 4x4 drop kits. From just your basic drop all the way down to 5/7 Track ready. He's already made the first bag kit for a 4x4 and ride tech approached him for the blueprints for it. This is his Instagram.

I like this guys style. In addition to my crew cab ram I have a bagged and bodied mini.

18148716921_647c01290a_c.jpg
Minitruck by Jacob Carroll, on Flickr

OP
OP
Bigdaddycodes

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I just took a quick peek and seems like he does good work, I saw the orange truck that he did air on and it looks pretty cool, I just dont really want air haha I didnt see anything though about the other drops, are they going to be static drops? The 5/7 has peaked my interest now

13bighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you look again I believe he has his wife's truck on there. And if you send him a message he would be able to answer all of your questions. And he is doing alot more to that orange truck this year. Involves a kelderman 8-10" kit for a 2500 and a whole lot of modifications