Belltech 2/4 spring kit question/help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackhemi16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just got my beltech 2/4 drop spring only kit yesterday and i was going to do the rears today and finish tomarrow but i got stuck. I was working on the rear first and got the spring out and put in the belltech spring. i noticed though that the spring is like 2 inches or so shorter than stock and i had a feeling that it was going to rattle when install it. Sure enough i just did the one side put everything back together and started bouncing the bed up and down to see if it will rattle/shake and it did. SO i was wondering has anyone else do the spring only kit with factory shocks and if so how did you fix this? I know i should buy shocks but i really dont want to spend anymore money right now and ive seen/read a lot of people who did springs only and are running fine. Can you please give me tips on how i should go about this. Thanks. Another odd thing i found out was the stock bump stop isnt even bolted on, i was able to pull it right out, is it suppose to be like this? it wont fall out? This is on the rear. well thanks.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Bump stop was just pressed in mine I think. The bell tech replacement ones have a nut. Can't help otherwise. I used the bell tech shocks with no issue.

vcode70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got my beltech 2/4 drop spring only kit yesterday and i was going to do the rears today and finish tomarrow but i got stuck. I was working on the rear first and got the spring out and put in the belltech spring. i noticed though that the spring is like 2 inches or so shorter than stock and i had a feeling that it was going to rattle when install it. Sure enough i just did the one side put everything back together and started bouncing the bed up and down to see if it will rattle/shake and it did. SO i was wondering has anyone else do the spring only kit with factory shocks and if so how did you fix this? I know i should buy shocks but i really dont want to spend anymore money right now and ive seen/read a lot of people who did springs only and are running fine. Can you please give me tips on how i should go about this. Thanks. Another odd thing i found out was the stock bump stop isnt even bolted on, i was able to pull it right out, is it suppose to be like this? it wont fall out? This is on the rear. well thanks.

The factory bump stops on mine were just pressed in. In fact, mine only had about 1000 miles on mine when I installed the Belltech kit and one of the factory bump stops was missing.

As far as the BT springs rattling, mine did the same thing with the factory shocks when it was jacked up. I just took my time and made sure they were lined up at the top right before I sat her down. I didn't have any problems with it on the street however, and didn't notice any clanking. I did eventually put the BT shocks on because I found a good deal on a set on here in the classified section.

OP
OP
blackhemi16

blackhemi16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thx, i guess I can try again when I have time, how much shorter are the belltech shocks compared to stock? would it be okay to just leave the springs loose like that? I'm pretty sure the weight will help but wouldn't it rattle and shake during speed bumps and rough roads?

rtorres51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All you do is take out old springs and put in new springs. Jack up rear axle to set springs in. Don't forget your track bar relocation bracket. There is a thin protective metal between the gas tank, and the differential. Bend away from differential. If you don't, will rub differential when you lower truck. The bump stops, take out the old and press in the new ones. They come off easily. Lower truck, you ready to go. As for as shocks, you be fine for now when you get more money. I recommend the Belltech shocks. ALSO BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU LOWER REAR AXLE, YOU DON'T DAMAGE THE REAR BRAKE LINES. GIVE THE BRAKE LINES SOME SLACK.

OP
OP
blackhemi16

blackhemi16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok so I found out that I didn't seat the spring correctly hence the rattle, everything went to plan, loving the new look. Also another tip is you don't need a spring compressor but it can help make it a little easier and safer. As for the spring compressor I don't know about others but I used the compressor that you put inside the spring, not the one where the 2 clamps tighten from the outside. Thanks all for the tips.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 85

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
did you buy the kit without the shocks?

OP
OP
blackhemi16

blackhemi16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah only springs which also came with all the accessories so that was cool. Rides a little firmer then stock but overall very happy. My rear wheels didn't even move to much either, you can barley tell it moved forward. I was worried I was going to have to buy the control arms but I might just skip them all together for now.

Uaintlo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
looks good, I want to do mine soon

OP
OP
blackhemi16

blackhemi16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yea it makes the truck look awsome. There's still a lil gap between fender and top of tires but I'm waiting for it to settle. Also does anyone know if parking on an unleveled surface can make the springs settle uneven? I'm asking because where I park the ground is a really uneven, iDoes it matter or no?