Check your BellTech front shocks!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WTF is going on with these belltechs... I checked mine and they are fine after 2,000 miles, but I sure don't have much confidence in them.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
David I wouldnt worry, I know they are on it, they have been doing this a long time. it may be a small inner tube issue on the shock. They have been doing this long enough I know they will take care of their customers. I'm not worried at all...LOVE the kit and get tons of new compliments on the stance :D

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Ok, talked to them, they have already met with R&D, and they are pulling in the test truck that they did a year ago, trying to reproduce the roll of the shock, going to try something tonight on my set. It is very, very random, and may be a simple fix :)

Now that's customer service right there...hear of an issue, and they are all over it.

14RAMRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone have their Camber at 0 with their Belltech drop ? My alignment shop set me at -3/4 thinking I will rub outer fender at bump but since I'm literally already riding on bump I think I can clear at 0. Thoughts ? I have the stock 22" R/T wheels and tires. Sitting here looking at it thinking I'll be fine but it could be the Sierra Nevada thinking.

OP
OP
The Q

The Q

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, talked to them, they have already met with R&D, and they are pulling in the test truck that they did a year ago, trying to reproduce the roll of the shock, going to try something tonight on my set. It is very, very random, and may be a simple fix :)

Now that's customer service right there...hear of an issue, and they are all over it.

I'm glad they respond to you. I sent them a message via their website form along with links to my pictures on photobucket and still haven't heard from them.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
I think it's just a bushing issue. The shoulder likely isn't tall enough to keep it from sliding through the sleeve. You could grab some aftermarket 2 piece bushings for a few bucks and pop them in if you don't want to wait. I popped the BellTech bushings back I to place and they haven't move again. I'm thinking driving to the alignment shop with everything out of whack contributed to it on mine.

Jizanthapus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This happened to my truck after 250 miles. In my honest opinion, BT rushed this kit - whether it's them getting cocky from being in the business for a while or sheer oversight.. This is the third issue I've seen with this drop.

1 - Panhard relocation bracket (in the beginning)
2 - "Bump and bounce" hit a bump at speed and the back end bucks
3 - Shocks rolling off their bushings

I yanked the WEAK/SOFT Belltech Street Performers off and put on quality QA1's. There's no comparison.

OP
OP
The Q

The Q

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think there may be two or three things contributing to the walking of the lower mount. First off I installed the SP shocks after the truck was aligned so I really don't think that had anything to do with yours'. I totally believe the lower bushing is not hard / stiff enough for the application. The other issue could be the amount of un corrected caster the kit leaves our trucks with. The amount may be just enough to help the shock walk on the soft lower mount.

I've seen the QA1 shocks mentioned in a couple of posts when I was researching the BellTech kit. I went to the QA1 website, I guess those of you running them are running a custom built unit. What info did you provide QA1 with and what did your shocks cost? I'd be interested in better shocks all the way around, but I don't want to break the bank doing it!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I also looked at QA1's, and you'll have to do some modifying if I read correctly. Not to mention, they are very pricey.
But they want me to try somehting on mine and report back. I was going to do it last night, but had a family dinner with kids and grandkids. So me and my oldest son will do it tonight. Once they confirm they found the same issue, if they allow, I will report back with findings and simple fix.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I think it's just a bushing issue. The shoulder likely isn't tall enough to keep it from sliding through the sleeve. You could grab some aftermarket 2 piece bushings for a few bucks and pop them in if you don't want to wait. I popped the BellTech bushings back I to place and they haven't move again. I'm thinking driving to the alignment shop with everything out of whack contributed to it on mine.

My thoughts too Richard, I drove 3-4 days before alignment. Because my front end was out of sorts before alignment.

victorsdaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This happened to my truck after 250 miles. In my honest opinion, BT rushed this kit - whether it's them getting cocky from being in the business for a while or sheer oversight.. This is the third issue I've seen with this drop.

1 - Panhard relocation bracket (in the beginning)
2 - "Bump and bounce" hit a bump at speed and the back end bucks
3 - Shocks rolling off their bushings

I yanked the WEAK/SOFT Belltech Street Performers off and put on quality QA1's. There's no comparison.
Yea..i heard new owner of beltech rushed r&d and pushed kit out early. Doesnt reLly care abiut quality. Just wants $$

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

Yeah, you can tell from the pics that the outer lip is not very tall or thick enough.

It's not even have the thickness of the stock shock...

IT's pretty crappy you gotta buck a kit and not use parts from it. Would be nice if they just sold the springs, bump stops and pick our own shocks.

Brody57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did they ever resolve this problem. I had looked at a kit for my truck but this kinda makes me Rethink my decision.

OP
OP
The Q

The Q

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The kit overall is great. The weak piece is only the front shocks. BellTech sent me an email yesterday stating to remove the shock cover spacer to avoid this problem in the future. I need to get a few questions answered before I post exactly what they're talking about so that everyone gets good, clear info. But as far as recommending the kit, I highly recommend it, but for now I'd use the factory front shocks.

UPDATE: Got my questions answered by BellTech! This is what they are suggesting be done when you install their Street Performance front shocks. They suggest we pull the dust cover, remove the small spacer off the shaft, replace the dust cover and install the shocks. Their belief is the spacer is causing stress on the lower mount. I may try this when I get my replacement shocks. In the meantime, if someone else wants to give it a try and let us know how it works, please feel free!

Last edited:

03lowram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7(Hemi)
You can order the springs by themselves. That's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna use the belltech springs, and qa1 shocks all the way around.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can order the springs by themselves. That's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna use the belltech springs, and qa1 shocks all the way around.

^^^This is what I should have done from the beginning. Oh well, now I have another project and mod to do! :favorites13:

OP
OP
The Q

The Q

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fortunately I bought my kit when they were offering a $150 rebate. So for the price I couldn't pass up the deal, $280 for the kit after rebate ain't bad even if I don't use the front shocks that came with the kit.

On a side note, BellTech has shipped another set of shocks and suggested a possible fix that I mentioned earlier.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Fortunately I bought my kit when they were offering a $150 rebate. So for the price I couldn't pass up the deal, $280 for the kit after rebate ain't bad even if I don't use the front shocks that came with the kit.

On a side note, BellTech has shipped another set of shocks and suggested a possible fix that I mentioned earlier.

Agree, they sent me 4 brand new shocks front and rear in case....so far, great customer service from BT.

OP
OP
The Q

The Q

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Their warranty isn't to bad either:

KW automotive, Inc. warrants to the original purchaser of Belltech suspension products, (spindles, springs, shackle and hanger kits, flip kits and blocks), that these products will be free of manufacturing defects so long as such purchaser owns the vehicle on which such products were originally installed.
Bushings, bump stops and ball joints are considered subject to wear and are excluded from this warranty. Bushings, bump stops and ball joints are warranted for a period of 90 days from the time of purchase.

Belltech Street Performance and Nitro Drop 2 shocks are warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 2 years (unlimited mileage) as long as the vehicle has been operated under normal conditions.