compressing coil spring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

scotts2012ram

Could I compress the springs on the back with the kit you can get at autozone. I really don't want to cut the springs because if I want to go back to stock height.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
what kit are you talking about.

OP
OP
S

scotts2012ram

Its the one with the brackets and bolts that go in the spring

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
We did a lift kit on a jeep with those spring compressors. They work well enough. And as long as your drop the axle and raise the body enough you should be able to just slide the coil out. Or only have to compress it a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sphincter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The spring compressors are not meant to be used permanently. They're just for removing the spring from the rest of the assembly. If you rent a set from Autozone you'll get two compressors, which enough to compress one spring. Also, the springs won't even fit back into the assembly with the compressors attached. I used them to install my Bilstein shocks about a month ago.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I would not recommend that. Or anything that compresses the springs with a clamp for lowering the truck..

Either cut em or get a kit man...JMO

Last edited:

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
The spring compressors are not meant to be used permanently. They're just for removing the spring from the rest of the assembly. If you rent a set from Autozone you'll get two compressors, which enough to compress one spring. Also, the springs won't even fit back into the assembly with the compressors attached. I used them to install my Bilstein shocks about a month ago.

thats what i was thinking at first but what he is talking about is a actual spring compressing lower/lift kit. I never heard of it before. I still wouldn't go that route though.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins

They're similar to the spring compressors your talking about but are made to actually stay in
I've bent normal spring compressors before I wouldn't want to drive around with them knowing how much tension is in these truck springs
Maybe on a civic lol

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That is the old school method of lowering a vehicle, over time it will completely ruin the spring and suspension... I would think cutting them would be better for it and it's free lol

sphincter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My mistake lol. I didn't know they even made such a thing, so I assumed you meant the spring compressors they have available for rent.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
That's what I thought he meant too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk