Crown Suspension 2" drop installed....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
So, I finally got around to installing My crown suspension 2" drop springs, and OEM swaybar yesterday. Everything went in perfect, and I love the stance and ride.
I have one question that I have not seen addressed yet in this here forum, and I hope it doesn't make me look (or sound) stupid, BUT...

Being as the drop spring is so much shorter than the original, it seems to me that the spring would just literally fall out when it is on a lift for an oil change or whatever. Do I need to buy the Ground Force 2" drop springs to alleviate this problem? Does the shock determine the maximum suspension travel of the rear axle? Thanks for any help.

Oh, pics to come later... :)

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
On the stock suspension the shock will lock out before the spring loses compression.

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got any pic of your truck with the crown suspension on?

worthless.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
Booms

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
So, I spoke with someone at Crown Suspensions yesterday. Told him the issue with the spring being so much shorter than the OEM one, and not seating when the truck is up in the air, and at the bottom of the shock travel. Their is literally a 3 inch gap between the bottom of the spring and the axle. He told me that "You just have to guide the spring back in place every time you lift the truck...it's normal".... Uh, Nooo.

So, My question is, are the Belltech or McGauhy shocks as long as the OEM ones, but with a different compression ratio? The Crown ones get the drop from being physically shorter, not from a lowered compression rating.
I don't want to have to explain to a lube tech to guide My springs back in every time I get an oil change...

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There is an inverse relationship between spring rate and ride height for a correctly set up suspension.

The lower your vehicle is, the higher your spring rate must be.

Lowering a vehicle by using a LOWER spring rate is a really, really bad idea.

In essence, you need shorter shocks that will limit the travel of the axle downwards like the OEM shocks do.

OP
OP
Booms

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Booms if your worried I'd snag these off this member good deal I saw it in the for sale section and thought of your dilemma

I actually have been talking with him.
My question is will the 2" drop shocks limit the suspension travel enough so that I don't have to worry about the springs falling out... :crazy:

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
?

Not a 100% sure but I know that there extended length is shorter then stock length I'll research the stock extended length compared to the GF shocks length I'm pretty sure you will be good to go

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quickness

Ok that was quick the shocks he is selling are "22.4" inch's extended length and our stock shocks are a touch over "24" inch's so there you go sir problem solved I hope for you. And if your like me your brain can take a break. Oh and FYI the GF shocks he has for sale are $80 each shock plus shipping so $120 to your door is a deal. I hope this helps you as I'm happy to help as others have done the same for me on here