CS 1/2 springs with stock control arms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Did you take before/after measurements to see how much the rear dropped?

I will have a truck here tomorrow with the standard Belltech 2/4 kit installed, so I will check the clearance on the rear bumpstops. If I remember right, I had about 3/4" in the rear before I cut my coils and went with the shorter bumpstops. They are progressive rate stops, so it should not be harsh unless you hit a big bump and the stop compresses all the way down to the more aggressive setting.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I will have a truck here tomorrow with the standard Belltech 2/4 kit installed, so I will check the clearance on the rear bumpstops. If I remember right, I had about 3/4" in the rear before I cut my coils and went with the shorter bumpstops. They are progressive rate stops, so it should not be harsh unless you hit a big bump and the stop compresses all the way down to the more aggressive setting.

that's what I was thinking.....they seem like they are more of a jounce bumper rather than a true bump stop

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I did not take measurements unfortunately. I remember when I put the bump stops in they did not seem very progressive to me. The fronts, most definitely so. The rears felt just as hard as the stock ones I pulled off.

I just opened the box to look at the stock bump stops. They actually look just like the ones currently installed. When I get a chance to put the truck up on a jack, I will pull out the belltech rear bumpstop and inspect and photograph them for comparison to the stock ones.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
9362be36b9f29dd4406dcd80f46d3dbc.jpg
d9044111f7a331451e39900007eda536.jpg

Here are the 2 stock rear bump stops. You can see one of the stock front bump stops.

I measured the rear stop and it is about 4" long. It actually looks like the ones currently on the truck but I will need to pull those off to confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Here's what my truck looks like when it sits "level." The control arms aren't an issue at that height.

14141918_10209335160369823_3387975430559909912_n_zps1cenwfps.jpg

I've had my spohn arms for about 25k miles right now. I've had to adjust them twice after installation, once at 10k miles and once at 20k miles. I'll probably have to do it at 30k again.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info dubstep. Truck looks awesome!

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
7a4370e6cbd82cc324d4fbdaaa8d942f.jpg

aff342f903a0a9ed0259b8ca475a8e66.jpg

Here are my new crown springs. 1" drop in the front and 2" drop in the rear. The springs seem to be high quality. Notice that the crown springs are linear and not progressive (like the stock).

In a post from dubstep I believe, it was stated that they are 20% stiffer than stock. The front springs are noticeably thicker. I can not tell if the tears are thicker.

6cca9dd9f8e143103043982bd55e9d5d.jpg

I am having them put on this Thursday along with the stock control arms.

So I will be putting my belltech springs up for sale and my adjustable spohn control arms. So if anyone is interested let me know.

I am not sure yet if I am going to include my relocation bracket (for the pan hard bar). I will assuming a 2" drop is mild enough to not need it (and also assuming that it wouldn't be too drastic for a 2" drop. )

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the pics. Keep us updated with driving impressions.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
7a4370e6cbd82cc324d4fbdaaa8d942f.jpg

aff342f903a0a9ed0259b8ca475a8e66.jpg

Here are my new crown springs. 1" drop in the front and 2" drop in the rear. The springs seem to be high quality. Notice that the crown springs are linear and not progressive (like the stock).

In a post from dubstep I believe, it was stated that they are 20% stiffer than stock. The front springs are noticeably thicker. I can not tell if the tears are thicker.

6cca9dd9f8e143103043982bd55e9d5d.jpg

I am having them put on this Thursday along with the stock control arms.

So I will be putting my belltech springs up for sale and my adjustable spohn control arms. So if anyone is interested let me know.

I am not sure yet if I am going to include my relocation bracket (for the pan hard bar). I will assuming a 2" drop is mild enough to not need it (and also assuming that it wouldn't be too drastic for a 2" drop. )

What is the length of the rear spring?

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is the length of the rear spring?

I am not sure. I can measure the actual length of the spring. I know they are 2" lowering springs though (whether that translates to the coil being exactly 2" shorter than stock, I am not sure).

The springs in the picture are the stock springs vs. the crown suspension springs. I will take photos of the belltech vs. stock when these get installed.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not sure. I can measure the actual length of the spring. I know they are 2" lowering springs though (whether that translates to the coil being exactly 2" shorter than stock, I am not sure).

The springs in the picture are the stock springs vs. the crown suspension springs. I will take photos of the belltech vs. stock when these get installed.

yeah, the actual spring length is what I'm interested in:favorites13:

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If the spring rate is higher on the lowering spring, a 2" lowering spring will be more than 2" shorter than the normal spring.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the spring rate is higher on the lowering spring, a 2" lowering spring will be more than 2" shorter than the normal spring.

CS told you there springs were 20% stiffer right? I wonder if I would actually be able to get spring rates from them (rather than just a percentage stiffer than stock).

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What shocks do you plan on running with your Crown springs? All stock or still the Belltechs? If I were you I would look in to some monotube shocks. The Belltechs aren't anything special and I was not impressed with them when I had them. I currently have Bilstein 4600's and feel like they are more superior to the Belltechs.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What shocks do you plan on running with your Crown springs? All stock or still the Belltechs? If I were you I would look in to some monotube shocks. The Belltechs aren't anything special and I was not impressed with them when I had them. I currently have Bilstein 4600's and feel like they are more superior to the Belltechs.

Well, this is a question I have been meaning to ask to the forum. If you get the belltech kit with shocks people say to get the kit that offers the street performance shocks (they have kits that offer two different shocks: Street Performance and Nitro drop shocks).

Everyone says the nitro drop shocks are crap. People also say the street performance FRONT shocks are worse than the OEM FRONT shocks. However, everyone says that the street performance REAR shock is better than OEM.

So my question really is, can I run the SP REAR shock with only a 2" drop? I do not know the answer and I am dropping my truck off tomorrow to the shop. So I am debating on running stock shocks in the rear (and I better figure it out by first thing tomorrow morning before I leave for the shop). I guess you would not want to run a shock that is too long for a given drop because then the shock is under a higher constant pressure than what it is designed for? (I don't know, I am just speculating) At the same time you can not run a shock that is too short either or it might not even reach the upper/lower shock mounting brackets (no idea if the SP REAR shock is too short for a 2" drop). Does anyone know?

At this point there are really only 2 things I for sure want from the Belltech kit
1. Front Bump Stops
2. Rear Bump Stops

3. Possibly the relocation bracket (I do not know if a 2" drop is enough to even use the relocation bracket)
4. The shorter rear sway bar end links (I do not know if a 2" drop is enough to use the shorter Belltech rear sway bar end links or not. (I can change this later on my own and compare the stock end link to the Belltech and see which one orientates the sway bar better with just a 2" drop.)

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, this is a question I have been meaning to ask to the forum. If you get the belltech kit with shocks people say to get the kit that offers the street performance shocks (they have kits that offer two different shocks: Street Performance and Nitro drop shocks).

Everyone says the nitro drop shocks are crap. People also say the street performance FRONT shocks are worse than the OEM FRONT shocks. However, everyone says that the street performance REAR shock is better than OEM.

So my question really is, can I run the SP REAR shock with only a 2" drop? I do not know the answer and I am dropping my truck off tomorrow to the shop. So I am debating on running stock shocks in the rear (and I better figure it out by first thing tomorrow morning before I leave for the shop). I guess you would not want to run a shock that is too long for a given drop because then the shock is under a higher constant pressure than what it is designed for? (I don't know, I am just speculating) At the same time you can not run a shock that is too short either or it might not even reach the upper/lower shock mounting brackets (no idea if the SP REAR shock is too short for a 2" drop). Does anyone know?

Only issue I see with that is you could possibly be maxing out your rear shocks travel. Basically, you hit a bump and when the wheel down travels it will cause the shock to fully extend and it will be just as bad as hitting bump stops. I have no idea if that will happen or not, I just know its a possibility.

At this point there are really only 2 things I for sure want from the Belltech kit
1. Front Bump Stops
2. Rear Bump Stops

3. Possibly the relocation bracket (I do not know if a 2" drop is enough to even use the relocation bracket)

I would take it off and just look at your bar with the new springs. If its sitting pretty level then I'd leave it.

4. The shorter rear sway bar end links (I do not know if a 2" drop is enough to use the shorter Belltech rear sway bar end links or not. (I can change this later on my own and compare the stock end link to the Belltech and see which one orientates the sway bar better with just a 2" drop.)

Same as above haha.

See red for answers. In any case I would invest in better shocks.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
good luck mate, you have your hands and mind full. What do other Belltech 2/4 guys have for trouble free miles??? I have 8000+ to date and this includes no wobble or well nothing.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
See red for answers. In any case I would invest in better shocks.

I had your same thoughts. If I had more tools, taking the end links and relocation bracket off would be 0 issue and I could figure out pretty quickly how compatible they appear with just a 2" drop. I probably have some sockets that will fit, I just need to dig around my motorcycle trackday box.

I am 90% sure I am going to run the stock rear shocks for now and then upgrade to something else later on (maybe some QA1's but at this point I don't want to throw much more money into the truck. At least not for a bit..)