CS 1/2 springs with stock control arms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alaskanpeeps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im 4wd but here is my experience anyways. I'm down 2.5" in the rear, everything else is stock. I've never hit my stock bump stops unloaded. Mabe twice with a couple hundred pounds in the bed. As far as my rear sway bar goes. Its about 1.5" from being level so I need to get some hellwig 7961 8"-11" adjustable end links. I think those bell tech links u got will be way to short. As far as the track bar bracket goes. U can drill a new hole to raise the track bar about a inch on the frame side to level it out. The bracket will just put you off level the other way. I believe it's not needed till 3 to 4" of drop

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah, the actual spring length is what I'm interested in:favorites13:

So I just measured the new springs. They are kind of difficult to get a super accurate measurement but at the absolute longest point they are as follows:

Front coil: 14.5"
Rear coil: 15"

I also called them up to confirm the front springs (if there is a specified top and bottom) and was told you can put the front springs in either way. I definitely want the shop to put the front springs in both the same way (just in case).

I also asked for their actual spring rate and was told they do not give out that information. Though he reaffirmed what I read from Dubsteps post that they are 20% stiffer than stock. So if we know what stock is we can find out what these are... I know the stock rear springs are progressive. The rears would be 20% stiffer than the higher of the 2 different rates for the stock rears (at least that is what I am told).

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I just measured the new springs. They are kind of difficult to get a super accurate measurement but at the absolute longest point they are as follows:

I also called them up to confirm the front springs (if there is a specified top and bottom) and was told you can put the front springs in either way. I definitely want the shop to put the front springs in both the same way (just in case).

I also asked for their actual spring rate and was told they do not give out that information. Though he reaffirmed what I read from Dubsteps post that they are 20% stiffer than stock. So if we know what stock is we can find out what these are... I know the stock rear springs are progressive. The rears would be 20% stiffer than the higher of the 2 different rates for the stock rears (at least that is what I am told).

hey man thanks! much appreciated!

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
Do yourself a favor and install the drop shocks in the rear. The factory shocks allow to much suspension travel. Fully extended, you can literally reach up and pull the springs out.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Interesting. Let us know how they ride and perform today. These are on my wishlist unless you report them to be poor.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting. Let us know how they ride and perform today. These are on my wishlist unless you report them to be poor.

Unfortunately the shop call and pushed my appointment back to tomorrow. So from the sounds of it I will drop off tomorrow morning and I will pick it up Saturday. As soon as I get it back I will get some photos and driving impressions posted.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So.... I figured the crown suspension spring rates. However there are some stipulations: Assuming the belltech springs are about the same spring rate as stock

Belltech Spring rates: Front - ("about" per email from belltech) 800 lbs.
Rear - Progressive pre load coils 88 lbs.
Rear - Main Coils 225 lbs.

Crown Suspension: States their coils are 20% stiffer than stock

Front - 960 lbs.
Rear - 270 lbs. (the rears are linear and not progressive. Additionally they take the highest number of the 2 progressive rates from stock and base the 20% stiffer on that number. So it would be 20% stiffer than 225 lbs.)

I am reaching out to belltech to find the compressed length of the rear street performance shock. On their website they show "length" (I'm assuming extended) at 19.75" but nothing for the compressed length.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So.... I figured the crown suspension spring rates. However there are some stipulations: Assuming the belltech springs are about the same spring rate as stock

Belltech Spring rates: Front - ("about" per email from belltech) 800 lbs.
Rear - Progressive pre load coils 88 lbs.
Rear - Main Coils 225 lbs.

Crown Suspension: States their coils are 20% stiffer than stock

Front - 960 lbs.
Rear - 270 lbs. (the rears are linear and not progressive. Additionally they take the highest number of the 2 progressive rates from stock and base the 20% stiffer on that number. So it would be 20% stiffer than 225 lbs.)

I am reaching out to belltech to find the compressed length of the rear street performance shock. On their website they show "length" (I'm assuming extended) at 19.75" but nothing for the compressed length.

Just got off the phone with Belltech. The Street Performance Shock **REAR**
Extended length: 22"

Compressed length: 14"

I measured my stock REAR shocks last night (wrote down the measurements on paper but that is at home) but I think the stock is around that range....

IIRC stock was:
Extended: 25"
Compressed: 17"
I will confirm when I get home, however depending on the range I may just run the SP shocks with the new 2" crown springs in the rear.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got off the phone with Belltech. The Street Performance Shock **REAR**
Extended length: 22"

Compressed length: 14"

I measured my stock REAR shocks last night (wrote down the measurements on paper but that is at home) but I think the stock is around that range....

IIRC stock was:
Extended: 25"
Compressed: 17"
I will confirm when I get home, however depending on the range I may just run the SP shocks with the new 2" crown springs in the rear.
Thanks for doing all the research. It sucks your truck got pushed, I was legitimately excited to hear your thoughts on it today. The spring rates on the CS springs don't SOUND that much stiffer, but I'm not an expert on that. Maybe it changes it more than I think.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

12vrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am waiting to see this and what shops doing the work.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for doing all the research. It sucks your truck got pushed, I was legitimately excited to hear your thoughts on it today. The spring rates on the CS springs don't SOUND that much stiffer, but I'm not an expert on that. Maybe it changes it more than I think.

I agree... 20% does not sound that much stiffer. 30% seems more appropriate but then again I just need to see how it drives with the new springs.

Stock REAR shocks:

Extended - 27.25"
Compressed - 18.75"

So stock is about 5" longer extended and 4.75" longer while compressed. I really am not sure whether I should run the stock shocks or not. If I could see how close the SP shocks are now to their fully extended position, I could then estimate if they would work (i.e. if I could measure them on the truck right now at rest.

Lets say it is 19" extended while on the truck, then I know I have 3" to work with and since it is only a 2" drop, the truck is raising 2" **in theory... actual difference could be less or more. Though I think it will rise more than 2" higher than where it currently is**)

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am waiting to see this and what shops doing the work.

I am taking it to a shop called "All Out Off road". They have like 4-5 shops around the Houston area. They mostly do lift kits but they also do drop kits too. I definitely get nervous about shops doing work on the truck without me seeing. I want to make sure they put the stock control arms back on the correct way. Also, I need them to adjust the panhard bar. The axle is sitting more towards the passenger side right now.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You never messed with reklez

No. Just cause logistically it would be difficult for me to arrange that. It is on the other side of town.

I don't know much about that shop. I know they are pretty small. At least with all out off road, they are very big and reputable. So if something were to happen, I think it would be likely that they would honor their work and fix the issue.

Not saying reklez would not but I feel more comfortable with a big shop. Which is not saying much because I do not feel that comfortable with all out Offroad. Frankly, I don't feel comfortable when I can not see exactly how something is being done (unless I know the person very well and trust them).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To bad your not in Vegas, I'd help you out in a heartbeat brother

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree... 20% does not sound that much stiffer. 30% seems more appropriate but then again I just need to see how it drives with the new springs.

Stock REAR shocks:

Extended - 27.25"
Compressed - 18.75"

So stock is about 5" longer extended and 4.75" longer while compressed. I really am not sure whether I should run the stock shocks or not. If I could see how close the SP shocks are now to their fully extended position, I could then estimate if they would work (i.e. if I could measure them on the truck right now at rest.

Lets say it is 19" extended while on the truck, then I know I have 3" to work with and since it is only a 2" drop, the truck is raising 2" **in theory... actual difference could be less or more. Though I think it will rise more than 2" higher than where it currently is**)
I'll be honest here, I think you are thinking about it way too much. I have cut rear stock springs that are probably about 2.5" lower and I'm running stock length shocks. Obviously they are too long for the springs but as long as I don't try to go flexing the suspension through a ditch it will be ok. I have had no problems.

12vrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
To bad your not in Vegas, I'd help you out in a heartbeat brother

**** i will drive to vegas want to help me when im ready lol. But ya i also got the same shop by me. But like you said i wanna watch it all :favorites13:

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
**** i will drive to vegas want to help me when im ready lol. But ya i also got the same shop by me. But like you said i wanna watch it all :favorites13:

just let me know :favorites13: you'll have to get your own hotel though :)

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be honest here, I think you are thinking about it way too much. I have cut rear stock springs that are probably about 2.5" lower and I'm running stock length shocks. Obviously they are too long for the springs but as long as I don't try to go flexing the suspension through a ditch it will be ok. I have had no problems.

Agreed.

Though I know stock length shocks should be fine for just a 2" drop. My only real question is whether the SP shocks are long enough for a 2" drop (the SP shocks are currently on the truck, so I have to decide whether to keep them on or have the shop put the stock ones back on).

Safest bet is go with stock, but if the SP shock is superior I'd rather have that on.

Also, since my current setup is so jacked up (riding bumpstops literally 24/7... Daily driving the truck has sucked horribly) I want to make sure I get it right this time and do not have to come back and revisit this.

Last edited:

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agreed.

Though I know stock length shocks should be fine for just a 2" drop. My only real question is whether the SP shocks are long enough for a 2" drop (the SP shocks are currently on the truck, so I have to decide whether to keep them on or have the shop put the stock ones back on).

Safest bet is go with stock, but if the SP shock is superior I'd rather have that on.

Also, since my current setup is so jacked up (riding bumpstops literally 24/7... Daily driving the truck has sucked horribly) I want to make sure I get it right this time and do not have to come back and revisit this.
I certainly understand. I'm always tinkering with my truck haha. I've literally changed my shocks like 5 to 7 times. On another note, what type of bike do you race?