Cutting Ground Force rear springs. Top or bottom?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Need to cut a little off the rear springs from my ground force kit to get the back down to level it out. Do I cut off the top or bottom of the spring? I'm sure after getting down there and looking it will become obvious but I thought why not get a head start in the planning department.

I had read that 1 full coil yields about 1" of drop but I think that was on the BT springs. Anybody done this on the GF springs? If so, how much did you cut and how much drop did it yield you? I know the GF and BT springs look totally different side by side so I wouldn't be surprised if the same amount cut gets you different results between the two.

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow

Man your a brave adventurer I know it's 100% doable but you just got everything done and it looks killer by the way I hear you on being lower but do you think it could settle down anymore with more time to level you out, I mean just asking I'm sure you've considered this being you've had lowered trucks before and all. Good luck I hope it works out for you, but after all it's only money lol

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
If you just installed the kit then wait about a month, the springs need to settle into the isolators and they'll find their loaded happy spot, after that you want to cut from the top since they are the tighter wound coils. Start with half a coil, reinstall, measure, remove and trim more, repeat until happy. The GF springs aren't touching like the McG/BT springs so you'll need to take it slow and make sure you get the cuts even from side to side.

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I installed the GF kit mine sat about 3/4" higher in the front.
After about a month it settled and was closure to level. To further help the truck look level I just installed a set of Durango helper bags in the rear. ($100) having about 5psi in them keeps the truck level. Helped smooth out the ride too.

Personally after spending almost $1000 CAD on the GF kit I couldn't bring myself to cut those springs. And pulling the strut tower apart is a huge PITA!!
Plus with them being progressive I didn't want to effect the performance of the kit. That is why I bought them and not the other ones.....

william00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ive been seriously thinking on getting the Groundforce 9864 2/3 kit. I hope my rcsb will not be completely level ?? Want it to be a little higher in the back..

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive been seriously thinking on getting the Groundforce 9864 2/3 kit. I hope my rcsb will not be completely level ?? Want it to be a little higher in the back..

After my kit settled I didn't find there was much rake. If I want more rake I just air up the helper bags a bit more.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would let it settle a bit... don't cut up a $800 lowering kit!

OP
OP
Milt IV

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the input. Just to clarify, mine is about 3/4" higher in the REAR, not the front. I don't want the rake. I have had it on for a few weeks now and I drive my truck every day, it's not going to settle any more than it already has.

I can cut a little of the rear in no time, it's the front that is the pain in the ass. If I screw them up it's not that big of a deal. I want to run ridetech bags any way so that would just give me a reason to switch to that setup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956