Cutting the springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OutlawTrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
When cutting them use a 4" grinder with a cutoff wheel. Do not use a torch. The excess heat will weaken them.

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks good man...and maddog why would you have to save money, when all you have to do is cut them? But on your 2008 it won't be possible because you have leaf springs in the rear.

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Damn. Forgot about those. My bad. Haha

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
And like taking them out cutting them, and putting them back in and putting everything back on

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
^^ same thing. I had a '97 f150. That thing was awesome. Had 225k miles on it before we sold it.

How hard was it to do this mid? I'm thinking of saving some $ and cut em

You have leafs in the back. you cant cut them. The +09's have coils all around.

OP
OP
trev

trev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When cutting them use a 4" grinder with a cutoff wheel. Do not use a torch. The excess heat will weaken them.

I used a torch and it didn't weaken them to the point where you can tell. The ride is actually exactly the same besides it's actually more comfortable now that it doesn't feel like I'm leaning forward alittle.

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
I used a torch and it didn't weaken them to the point where you can tell. The ride is actually exactly the same besides it's actually more comfortable now that it doesn't feel like I'm leaning forward alittle.

He means that the torch takes the tempering out of the spring, and it will become brittle.

Not "peanut" brittle fragile, but it does take the strength out of the steel, unless the metallurgy is treated correctly during the process (like placing the uncut metal into very hot oil, and bringing it up to a high temperature slowly, then cutting it, then back into the oil and lowering the temp back down slowly.

It's a long, arduous process, so most of us just whack the **** off with a cut-off wheel and call it done.

you may or may not experience a problem with them, down the road, as the 'spring' life will be reduced.

Last edited:

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
He means that the torch takes the tempering out of the spring, and it will become brittle.

Not "peanut" brittle fragile, but it does take the strength out of the steel, unless the metallurgy is treated correctly during the process (like placing the uncut metal into very hot oil, and bringing it up to a high temperature slowly, then cutting it, then back into the oil and lowering the temp back down slowly.

It's a long, arduous process, so most of us just whack the **** off with a torch and call it done.

you may or may not experience a problem with them, down the road, as the 'spring' life will be reduced.

What he said