Decided to cut some coils, need some help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ders808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A little back story: Bought a used 2010 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 and it has a 4" lift on it, but it looks like the previous owner replaced the rear coils with something else that made the rear wheel well 2.5" higher than the front and I'm not a fan of the way it looks. And I don't want to go any higher in the front because I want to keep the "beefy" look.

Wheel well height measurements (35" tires on stock 20" rims). Measured from the center down to the ground.
Front: 42.5"
Rear: 45"

Anyways, I have decided to cut my rear coils (to save $300-$400) instead of buying stock coils with a 3" block. I have a family member who has a shop to do all the stuff (and he knows a bunch about trucks/cars) but I would like to go there with all the knowledge I need before attempting to cut them.

-Which part of the coil do I cut? They sit on little platforms (idk what they're called) and get tighter and more compact the more they go up. Pics: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

-Do I need to modify the platforms which they sit on?

-How much do I cut? I want to drop it 2" or make it even with the front (2.5" difference).

Those are all the questions I have for now, but if you have any more information on doing it, please feel free to let me know to make this process as painless as possible.

Once again, thanks for all the help guys, I'm a new Ram owner and I'm not familiar with anything on the trucks and you guys have been a HUGE help.

EDIT: If you need any more pictures of anything under the truck, let me know and I'll get them ASAP.

Alaskanpeeps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No modifications needed to the frame or axle. If ur going to off-road/flex it. I wouldn't go this route. Make small cuts. Install and set on the ground. Repeat till u have ur desired height. Ur springs have already settled so settling won't be a issue. U can find a set of used stock springs and get some spacers. Someone would probable trade u. Good luck!

OP
OP
D

ders808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No modifications needed to the frame or axle. If ur going to off-road/flex it. I wouldn't go this route. Make small cuts. Install and set on the ground. Repeat till u have ur desired height. Ur springs have already settled so settling won't be a issue. U can find a set of used stock springs and get some spacers. Someone would probable trade u. Good luck!

What would you recommend for the initial cut? A full loop? half? Quarter? I'm not sure where to begin or even which side to cut. They also seem to get closer together as they get to the ends. Would it be alright if I cut those pieces?

Alaskanpeeps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my stock springs I cut one full coil/wrap off. And it lowered 1" I then cut a 1/4 off and got another 1/2 inch. So another 1/4 cut and I got a total of 1.5"of drop. Note.... after u cut the first coil/wrap off. U will no longer mount in the frame flat. I only have about a 1" of spring that comes in contact with the frame mount. And this is why I don't think it's a good idea on a lifted truck that will go off road. Start with a half coil to b safe. Cut from the top of the spring.
I hope I made sense. And not just rambling

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Alaskanpeeps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked back at ur pictures and it looks like ur springs are wrapped tite enough that u will get a good mounting surface in the upper spring bucket.

Alaskanpeeps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Find the right length springs. Or go stock with spacers. Spacers are cheap. And I've seen used stock springs for less than 100$ when your all done. Keep ur lift springs in case u deside to go higher later Or Sale them and get ur $ back. All said an done. It will b done right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk