Full Independent rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
K call me crazy but I just saw this video and got me thinking... Not thinking about actually doing this yet, but got me thinking if this would be a decent idea for building a track /Auto X truck... Wondering if this would be better than a true 4 link set up? Drag racing I don't think it would be as good but whats ya'lls thoughts

Fast forward to about 7:40...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy-7EDKbYiE

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
K call me crazy but I just saw this video and got me thinking... Not thinking about actually doing this yet, but got me thinking if this would be a decent idea for building a track /Auto X truck... Wondering if this would be better than a true 4 link set up? Drag racing I don't think it would be as good but whats ya'lls thoughts

Fast forward to about 7:40...

I don't know how well it would handle. I guess it all depends on the setup/quality but I think it would be awesome! Shoot... If there was a kit for our trucks that wasn't absurdly expensive I would consider doing it (so long as the benefits were substantial over the oem rear axle)

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
there is a huge difference between my 2009 GT500 and the 2012 SRT8 Challenger in terms of the 500 having the log and the SRT having an independent rear.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there is a huge difference between my 2009 GT500 and the 2012 SRT8 Challenger in terms of the 500 having the log and the SRT having an independent rear.

Which one from a seat of the pants would you say "performs" better...
There are many well handling full IRS vehicles like the vette that handle better with the IRS vs their older SA versions... Hard to compare cause advances in susp technology may have a factor in that too...

But just kinda curious on the idea of a well designed full IRS ram.
That show trucks did it a while back with that ranger project and a 03 cobra rear on it. I have also thought about doing the same rear IRS system on my 67 mustang...

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Here's the thing, a straight axle will actually perform better than a single arm IRS.

So all those IRS systems that only use a lower control arm are actually inferior to a straight axle. That's because the wheels on the IRS don't track straight up and down, and you have to way to tune the camber gain on them.

It's exactly the same reason a double wishbone front suspension is superior to the McPherson strut.

Now, if you do a double wishbone like that truck and you set it up properly, it's the best suspension you can get on a car, and the longer the arms are, the better.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a good welder, the rear suspension of a newer Ford Expedition and get to it! Funny I see this thread, there is a series of videos on YouTube called Finnegans garage and he did this exact thing, for other reasons but handling was one of them.

There ya go. Independent rear that can handle the towing, torque and power.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That wont work.... I chase the **** and ****.... not the sausage....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well I must like sausage because I like Ridgelines.:gayflag:

Get a good welder, the rear suspension of a newer Ford Expedition and get to it! Funny I see this thread, there is a series of videos on YouTube called Finnegans garage and he did this exact thing, for other reasons but handling was one of them.

There ya go. Independent rear that can handle the towing, torque and power.

Haha you put the same link that he put in his first post. All good though, that is a cool set up.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome, didnt even click his link.

Still would be cool to make a bolt in subframe to house that setup under the ram. I know I would use it.