If you lower 1500 Tradesman 2/4 does that eliminate need for running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought my 1500 Tradesman yesterday and was doing a little research on running boards. It occurred to me that if I lower the truck 2/4, then I might not need them in the first place. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this point) On the flip side, I'm not real keen on someone cutting and drilling on my new truck. Also, with lowering, is ride comfort negatively affected?

Thanks for helping out a newbie.

Edit. Since I'm asking, why are they built this high up in the first place? Aerodynamics????

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
On a drop like that you'll be able to just "step" into your truck from what I've seen, so no running boards needed. Drops do effect the ride quality a good bit, but they've come along way with the kits since I last a had dropped truck. Last one I had rode like a covered wagon. The members with drops should be here to tell you what to get and what to expect for ride quality.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456669803.139218.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456669815.207833.jpg

Here's what you will be able to expect height wise. Mines sitting alittle lower than a 2/4 drop. I went 1size lower on tires and had the rear springs cut to level the truck.

The ride will suffer just alittle. But not horribly bad. It just gets alittle stiffer of rough roads. Once the roads smooth up. It goes back to riding like a factory truck does.

I'm running the Mcgauhys deluxe kit. Which includes front spindle drop. And rear springs. It's alittle costly. But I wanted to run the best kit that I could on my truck. Others are running the Belltech spring only drop. It's good also. But it just replaces the factory springs.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
image.jpgMy Tradesman 2/4 drop with the stock rubber and 17's. Perfect tailgate height for a work truck. To the OP, you'll definitely have no problems removing the running boards

OP
OP
J

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So how do I go about this?
Do I just go to a Truck mod shop and ask for the Belltech 2/4 drop?

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess, figure out which Belltech kit you want- with or without shocks
Your best bet is ordering your kit online, Moe's Performance- site vendor, will set you up
I think most of us on this forum installed our own then had an alignment shop bring the front end back to spec as close as possible.....outside of that I don't know what's around you.

OP
OP
J

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is front end alignment one of the tradeoffs meaning that they can get it close but it's not likely to be spot on?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
You'll need a full alignment, mine did after it was lowered.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah. Have a shop align it as soon as you get it done. If your handy you can do the lowering kit install yourself. I had a shop do my install and alignment at the same time. The Mcgauhys kit is the only lowering kit that will get you back to factory alignment specs though. That's something you may want to consider.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

OP
OP
J

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I decided to go forward with getting the running boards and hold off on lowering until I can tell better if I still have a problem getting in and out.

When I ordered the running boards a few minutes ago, I also ordered an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 Tonneau Cover. I'll probably order one of those step things soon. If someone could make a recommendation on a step to get up into the tailgate end of the truck, I'd be appreciative.

While I'm asking....is there an aftermarket backup camera that's popular in this forum? I don't has much trouble backing up a utility trailer but its driving me nuts trying to get the trailer hitch lined up.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
In a few weeks I am having a shop perform the Belltech 2/4 drop with springs, shocks, sway bars and pan hard bar. I know they are doing an alignment but much like my 05 Mustang GT the truck has a log in the back. How is a solid set up aligned, they did not do the rear on the 05 GT and it rode fine with no adverse tire wear. I guess I should say I got rid of the car with less than 5000 miles so not a ton of tire wear anyway.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Hmm, I have never had an issue with this. I step right into the normal height truck. Is this a typical issue for shorter people?

OP
OP
J

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm, I have never had an issue with this. I step right into the normal height truck. Is this a typical issue for shorter people?

Yep....and probably anyone whose rather not break their neck.

Running boards are on. Not as nice as the online photo but will have to do.

Now working on building a pull out tray/drawer. Oh what fun.

Look forward to getting back to my work instead of truck stuff.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Ram has this I guess you call it a option "XZNP Raised Ride Height" listed on my build sheet, cant find anyone who can tell me exactly what it consists of but mine came with 20's and had dealer installed step bars. You cant just step into mine, I'm 6' tall and have to climb in, I measured from ground to bottom of seat 38'' my 2000 Z71 4X4 is only 32'' to bottom of seat.

Last edited: