Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Lowered


Lowered

Issues with factory front end link removal


This is a discussion on Issues with factory front end link removal within the Lowered forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
Originally Posted by J3FF3RSON The top portion doesn't move at all when I'm spinning the nut at the bottom because ...


Like Tree4Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2016, 11:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Age: 45
Posts: 432

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default
Originally Posted by J3FF3RSON View Post
The top portion doesn't move at all when I'm spinning the nut at the bottom because my wrench is holding it firm just under the top threads. Should I be holding the end link at a different location?
I put the vice grips around that rubber boot, hence the sacrificial part


Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.


__________________

2014 Charcoal RAM 1500 RCSB 5.7 8SPD 2WD
2016 White Suburban 1500 5.3 6SPD 2WD
A bunch of 73 Chevy C10 truck parts!
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 162

Ram Year: 2014 Ram R/T
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
Default
Originally Posted by grozier View Post
You say put a F-150 part on a ram?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Yes sir, I did. For us lowered guys.

Lowered Rams short front end links
J3FF3RSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
 
Gary's Hemi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Walker, La
Posts: 343

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 5.7
Default
Originally Posted by J3FF3RSON View Post
Found a way to take that thing off. I went down to Sears and found a Max Access Rachet which allows the threaded part of the bottom to slide through the ratchet, keeping access to the bottom hex.

Tools I used for that bottom bolt:

- 1/4 Inch Drive Ratchet
- 6 inch 1/4 inch extension
- 5/16" Socket

-3/8 Inch Drive Max Access Rachet
- 3 Inch 3/8 inch Max Access Extension
- 18 Inch, Max Access Socket

See the pics below:
Thats what I used to take the links off. Works perfect. Always comes in handy to have a good selection of tools.
Gary's Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 162

Ram Year: 2014 Ram R/T
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
Default
What a hell of a difference up front. It's firm, and incredibly responsive in turns. The only reason I'm getting any lean at all is because of those Belltech garbage shocks - which I will be soon replacing with QA1's. This was well worth the energy to replace fellas, and I hope anyone looking to do this mod will see this thread before taking on the task.


However, I noticed that this sway bar is now very close to the tie rods bars. And I mean by close, I can only stick my fingers between the sway bar, and the tie rod. The Hellwig also appears to be on the end links at an angle, and not straight, however, they are tight. I couldn't seem to get the bar lined up like the factory bar at any angle, and I want to verify that this is normal.
J3FF3RSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
 
Gary's Hemi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Walker, La
Posts: 343

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 5.7
Default
Originally Posted by J3FF3RSON View Post
What a hell of a difference up front. It's firm, and incredibly responsive in turns. The only reason I'm getting any lean at all is because of those Belltech garbage shocks - which I will be soon replacing with QA1's. This was well worth the energy to replace fellas, and I hope anyone looking to do this mod will see this thread before taking on the task.


However, I noticed that this sway bar is now very close to the tie rods bars. And I mean by close, I can only stick my fingers between the sway bar, and the tie rod. The Hellwig also appears to be on the end links at an angle, and not straight, however, they are tight. I couldn't seem to get the bar lined up like the factory bar at any angle, and I want to verify that this is normal.
So your endlinks are at an angle pointing in when mounted to the bar? Mine were like that.
Gary's Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 162

Ram Year: 2014 Ram R/T
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
Default
This is what I'm looking at on both sides. See how close the Tie Rod is as well.
Attached Thumbnails
img_8423.jpg  
J3FF3RSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 339

Ram Year: 14 Sport
Engine: 5.7
Default
Originally Posted by J3FF3RSON View Post
This is what I'm looking at on both sides. See how close the Tie Rod is as well.
I doubled up the cups between the center shaft and the cups between the shaft and rubber bushings. I utilized the cups off the original endlinks. Spaces the bar up slightly,not much but enough to help the clearance issues.
J3FF3RSON likes this.
Wild one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
 
Gary's Hemi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Walker, La
Posts: 343

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 5.7
Default
Originally Posted by J3FF3RSON View Post
This is what I'm looking at on both sides. See how close the Tie Rod is as well.
Yea my endlinks were at an angle like that when I installed the f150 links. I found that them being at an angle made the truck rock from side to side too much when hitting a bump so I reinstalled the factory links & the side to side motion was gone. The f150 links did help alot w/ body roll due to releveling the bar but the side to side motion just wasnt for me. The links are supposed to be straight up & down, idk what exactly the effect of them being at angle causes but I couldnt get used to it
Gary's Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 162

Ram Year: 2014 Ram R/T
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
Default
Originally Posted by Gary's Hemi View Post
Yea my endlinks were at an angle like that when I installed the f150 links. I found that them being at an angle made the truck rock from side to side too much when hitting a bump so I reinstalled the factory links & the side to side motion was gone. The f150 links did help alot w/ body roll due to releveling the bar but the side to side motion just wasnt for me. The links are supposed to be straight up & down, idk what exactly the effect of them being at angle causes but I couldnt get used to it
I'd say that I could easily use the poly bushings that came with the F-150 end links to make it a little stiffer. May end up going back to factory links, I'll update everyone.

BTW, did you happen to experience any failures with your factory end links with the Hellwig on it?
J3FF3RSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
 
Dubstep Shep's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Houston
Age: 25
Posts: 2,210

Ram Year: 2014 R/T
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
Default
Easiest way to do it is put weight on the wheel when you loosen and torque down the links. The weight of the truck on the joint keeps it from spinning if you use an impact.
J3FF3RSON likes this.


__________________
MOD LIST UNDER CONSTRUCTION
BUILD THREAD:http://www.ramforum.com/f17/dubstep_...t_build-55252/
Dubstep Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Step pad removal factory steps MindlessDeviant Exterior 1 05-14-2014 10:43 PM
Front emblem removal *tim* Exterior 4 04-30-2013 10:31 PM
factory alarm removal Black12 Audio & Electronics 12 12-10-2012 11:03 PM
Front Seat Removal BlackedOutHemi Interior 8 12-26-2011 02:03 AM

<




GM Truck Forum
Ford Raptor Forum
Chevy Tahoe Forum
Chevy Cobalt Forum
Chevy Camaro Forum
Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Ford Truck Forum
88-98 GM Truck Forum
73-87 Gm Truck Forum
Ford Expedition Forum
Chevy Equinox Forum
Chevy Cruze Forum
Jeep Liberty Forum
Jeep Forum
Dodge Ram SRT10 Forum
Chrysler 200 Forum
Scion xD Forum
Scion xB Forum
Dodge Challenger Forum
SRT Forum
Nissan Titan Forum
Buick Enclave Forum
Cadillac Forum
Cadillac XTS Forum