Looking at new shoes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Moving this here as I was advised I might get more replies over here.

OK, so I tried searching but didn't really have any luck.

I have a '13 R/T at stock height. I really don't plan on lowering it but I may decide to go 2" in the rear and 1" in the front in the future. Anyway I need new tires. I have been looking at 305/45/22's which seem to fit without much issue based on threads I have ben reading. The thing is the tire options are limited. Most are not that great or don't have a long lifespan.

If I decide to go with the stock size 285/45/22 there are more options. I have even thought about going with a SUV Touring tire as it seems there may not really be much difference in handling. I have been looking at these Pirelli*Scorpion Verde All Season Plus

If I go with the 305's i'll probably go back to the Goodyears as I didn't really have any issue with them. I am not that aggressive of a driver but like to take an interstate ramp at speed and do drive a little over the speed limit. My driving is going to be more limited now as I am going to be working from home.

Anyway, just looking for thoughts. Both have an appeal so I am stuck. Not worried about the difference in price. I know some will recommend the NItto 420S but the vibration when cold will drive my OCD self nuts.

tdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just bought a set of Pirelli scorpion Verde All season plus for my R/T. I went stock size, 285/45/22.
I have noticed they vibrate a little when cold, but goes away after a couple minutes. I might've had my hopes set too high, but I'm not impressed with this tire. It's extremely quiet, but they are wearing horribly, and don't seem to handle as well as the stock good years.
I have roughy 6,000 miles on them and the tires are around 75% tread. I dont roast my tires or anything either.
I also think the good years look better on the truck.
If I had to buy new tires tomorrow, I would get the Nitto 420S in the 305 size.
Good luck! Let us know what you get.
Out of curiosity, how many miles did you get out of your original set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
tdog, thank you for the feedback. That is very good info to hear. I guess those tires are more suited to an SUV than a truck.

The Nitto's are on my radar as well. My only concern would be the vibration when cold. Since you stated the Pirelli's do this I guess it's just how it is. I may look into them again.

As for the mileage, I am right at 35k right now and they are at the wear indicators. They are done. I never had a complaint with the tires since they have been on the truck. Always quiet and never had a complaint on how they handled. Strangely, they are cheaper in the 305 size than they are in the stock size.

tdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got 42k out of my goodyears. Still had a little tread left but with winter approaching I opted for a new set of tires. I'm in Michigan, and the pirellis do fine in the
snow, as well as the stock good years. Not sure if that is of any concern for you.
I'd like to see a set of 305s on the stock rim!
I've heard some people complain about the tires wanting to track on their own, and others notice nothing different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pikeville904

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ignition Orange Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hunter,

I would suggest Toyo Proxies S/T's...I had a set of 305/50/20's on a '05 reg cab for many miles, when I bought a 2011 CC, I had them moved from the 05 to the 11, and drove them for nearly 72,000 miles. They handle great, are good in the rain, snow, and dry roads. They were quiet on dry roads and stick like glue. I did find that with the 305's they would rub the inner fender at full lock, but most don't steer that tight a any much speed. A n awesome tire, and the tread looks really aggressive.
I bought a 15 Sport CC, and when the tires that are on it now wear down, I'll be finding me another set of Toyo's.

Pikeville904

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ignition Orange Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh yeah, the 11 had a 2/4 drop kit on it, fills the wheel wells up nicely.
:):):)

MikeG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm running these except in a 305/40/22
B41302-0ACB-45AE-9EEF-B98A7DC17106.png_zpstfc5ljur.jpg

Got 19k on them. They ride good and handle good with no road noise
9AD54F5C-B3EA-418B-B38C-90C486D5D5D3_zps1k0vajzw.jpg

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ended going back to the stock Goodyears but in the 305/45/22 size. They had to be ordered so it will be another week before I get them on.

Still toying with lowering or not. If I do it will be the Ground Force 2/3 kit. I like the height and stance of that kit. Jury is still out on doing that though. Haven't made up my mind. I the oddball that actually doesn't mind the stock height.