Lower rear links.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movinalong

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am running the belltech 2/4 kit and I'm planning on dropping the back a bit more to level it out. My question is the angle of the lower links is already wrong and will be worse after further drop. Has anyone seen or herd of people fixing this? Welding on new brackets? Reason behind my question is wheel hop, it's terrible as in 30 mph WOT hits it's still awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
No one that i know of has welded new brackets for the links. Only thing is people buy the adjustable upper and lower links fron spohn performance.

OP
OP
movinalong

movinalong

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a set of those in the shop but it doesn't solve the issue with the angle. In a few weeks when my shoulder heals I'm goin to start looking into fabing a bolt on bracket. I'll make a thread when I get something figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
If you have wheel hop, then your control arms are not the problem. All the control arms do is constrain the movement into an arc, they don't restrain movement. If the wheels are hopping then either your shocks or springs aren't doing their job... or you just have crappy tires with poor traction. If the springs are too soft or more likely the shocks aren't damping properly you'll get wheel hop. I'm down 4/6 and I have minimal room between my upper arm bracket and the lower arm, however I'm running the McG's springs and Belltech shocks. I can spin the tires but there is no hopping.

Now, with your lower stance, the OEM upper and lower control arms are holding the axle at an angle which in turn bends the spring rather than cpmpresses it. This is corrected by using the adjustable control arms to bring the pinion angle back into spec which will align the springs as well.

nopo2491

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you have wheel hop, then your control arms are not the problem. All the control arms do is constrain the movement into an arc, they don't restrain movement. If the wheels are hopping then either your shocks or springs aren't doing their job... or you just have crappy tires with poor traction. If the springs are too soft or more likely the shocks aren't damping properly you'll get wheel hop. I'm down 4/6 and I have minimal room between my upper arm bracket and the lower arm, however I'm running the McG's springs and Belltech shocks. I can spin the tires but there is no hopping.

Now, with your lower stance, the OEM upper and lower control arms are holding the axle at an angle which in turn bends the spring rather than cpmpresses it. This is corrected by using the adjustable control arms to bring the pinion angle back into spec which will align the springs as well.

how much did u cut from rears springs to achieve 6" drop and what did u do about ur bump stops, did u remove them or trimmed them at all?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I didn't cut anything from mine to get 4/6 since I'm a 4wd. I'm using the McG's spindles and the GF springs up front, and the 2wd 4" springs to bring the back down 6" coupled with the Belltech 2wd rear shocks. I have completely removed the bump stop cups and only have a 3/4" progressive bump stop that's just bolted into the frame.

I'm also going to the hellwig air spring shortly so I can have better control over rear ride height.

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
i didn't cut anything from mine to get 4/6 since i'm a 4wd. I'm using the mcg's spindles and the gf springs up front, and the 2wd 4" springs to bring the back down 6" coupled with the belltech 2wd rear shocks. I have completely removed the bump stop cups and only have a 3/4" progressive bump stop that's just bolted into the frame.

I'm also going to the hellwig air spring shortly so i can have better control over rear ride height.

do you have pics of your truck? I want to see how much gap you have. Are you running 22's?

HOTRODHARLEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The angle of the link bars can cause issues due to the location of instant center. Ideally you want your lower bars to be as close to parallel to the ground as possible. When I say ideally I mean good enough for our low horsepower street trucks. Race cars with 4 links are a whole other animal...

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
do you have pics of your truck? I want to see how much gap you have. Are you running 22's?

This is right after the swap before the spings have settled. They've dropped about another 3/8" and you can see the rear is a little high, that's because of it resting on the bump stops. With the bump stop removed I'm sitting +- 1/4" from 32" ground to inner fender.

IMG_4267_zpsae29764e.jpg

The angle of the link bars can cause issues due to the location of instant center. Ideally you want your lower bars to be as close to parallel to the ground as possible. When I say ideally I mean good enough for our low horsepower street trucks. Race cars with 4 links are a whole other animal...

This is true to a point, and I completely agree about the race car suspension being totally different. For on-road driving, trying to keep the upper and lower bars parallel will give you an infinite instant center, which means you'll have minimal anti-squat and front/rear body roll. If the lower bar is parallel then you have a good starting point to measure everything from.

With just the lowering work I've done, my lower arms are about 3 degrees down, so my instant center is well below the line of thrust, which will push the suspension up and unload it a bit, but a stiffer air spring will cure most of this for track days and I'll probably be coupling this with a dual adjustable shock so I can stiffen the compression on track days.

For the OP, it sounds like you are willing to recalculate the proper placement of the body mounts to realign everything and I'm interested in what you end up doing. I know my solution isn't ideal, it's a bandaid fix to reduce body squat/suspension unloading by using damping instead of elimination. I'm surprised you're having such bad wheel hop given the minimal changes to the rear geometry unless there's a hardware issue.

HOTRODHARLEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This is right after the swap before the spings have settled. They've dropped about another 3/8" and you can see the rear is a little high, that's because of it resting on the bump stops. With the bump stop removed I'm sitting +- 1/4" from 32" ground to inner fender.

IMG_4267_zpsae29764e.jpg

This is true to a point, and I completely agree about the race car suspension being totally different. For on-road driving, trying to keep the upper and lower bars parallel will give you an infinite instant center, which means you'll have minimal anti-squat and front/rear body roll. If the lower bar is parallel then you have a good starting point to measure everything from.

With just the lowering work I've done, my lower arms are about 3 degrees down, so my instant center is well below the line of thrust, which will push the suspension up and unload it a bit, but a stiffer air spring will cure most of this for track days and I'll probably be coupling this with a dual adjustable shock so I can stiffen the compression on track days.

For the OP, it sounds like you are willing to recalculate the proper placement of the body mounts to realign everything and I'm interested in what you end up doing. I know my solution isn't ideal, it's a bandaid fix to reduce body squat/suspension unloading by using damping instead of elimination. I'm surprised you're having such bad wheel hop given the minimal changes to the rear geometry unless there's a hardware issue.

Like I said in my post. The lower bars parallel. Not BOTH. Obviously the upper and lowers parallel is not a proper setup.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Like I said in my post. The lower bars parallel. Not BOTH. Obviously the upper and lowers parallel is not a proper setup.

Why is a parallel 4-link not a proper setup? Parallel 4 links are very common and quite reasonable for trucks like ours that come with a stock panhard bar. A triangulated 4 link is better in that you don't have the arced suspension travel from the panhard but it's a more involve installation and needs to be more acurately designed; plus the clearances with the exhaust and fuel tank make them more difficult to design for.

If the bottom link isn't parallel to the ground it's not the end of the world, it just makes it easier to make all the measuerments as the only bar you need to calculate for is the upper links. If the lower link angle is negative you could quite easily increase the negative angle of the upper link and end up with a lot of anti-squat and suspension down force on take off, which is ideal for launching; or you can reduce the negative angle and bring it in line with the line of thrust to get as close to neutral launch as possible.

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

the rig looks good. i see you used projectors in the fogs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock