Which lowering kit to get

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

droptop306

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Should I get the bell tech stage 3 kit or the mcgaughy 44051 kit for my 2015 ram 1500 R/T standard cab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hard to say which kit to get... what you need to remember when it comes to lowering ANY vehicle is you need to preserve suspension travel and all from suspension angles for proper alignment, and safety. I know you have seen kids with their Hondas slammed to the ground, and every bump makes the car bounce. Those cars have NO suspension, the springs have been cut so much that they no longer hold the weight of the vehicle. Now you have a safety device acting as the suspension, it's not designed for that purpose and will fail. When the springs can no longer hold the vehicle up, they can no longer absorb the variations in the road surface. So now when the road dips, the car whole car dips, this will remove pressure from at least one tire, which will cause a loss of traction... sometimes not a big deal but on wet or slippery days... yea.

So the alternative, but not always the cheaper options are things like drop spindles and air bags. Drop spindles will lower a vehicle and at the same time keep full suspension travel and all proper suspension angles. For the rear of our trucks it's a but trickier. The rear suspension is a coil spring type that has 5 tracking bars. If you want to lower the truck the angles and lengths of the tracking bars need to be considered. There are kits with adjustable bars which will allow different angles to be adjusted as needed. One thing though is suspension travel... when lowering the rear you will always lose travel distance as you can't use drop spindles. The solution to this is to channel your frame... sounds scary but if done properly and if the welds are good you can retain all the factory strength and gain a few inches of travel. I know there are a lot of "ifs" there so if in doubt seek professional help.

Lastly air suspension. This is a good option no matter what type of lowering you are doing. With air bags they become the springs both front and rear and they will allow you to lower the truck right down to the snubbers (just like the Honda) or raise it up enough to still look good but be safe to drive... and even higher to clear speed bumps with out ricer driving.

so which kit is up to you but please consider what I just said for the safety and eventual resale of the truck.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might ask Matt at Moe's Performance (a vendor on this site). I think he has lowered everything he owns at one time or another.
Jay