Lowering Ram issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tht1GrayRam48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So long story short i went from a 3/5 drop to belltechs 2/4 drop because i thought that would get rid of the noise(pinion angles off)away but it didnt.Now i dont know where to go from here ive been looking at spohn adjustable control arms hoping that'll do it. Anyone know how to make this work?

razor1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the adjustable arms will help to fix the pinion angle being off and the axle being pulled forward. Do you have a vibration issue also? Your rear axle should be pulled at least 1" forward and off to the left about 3/4" to 1" also. Keep in mind that from here, the cost can be about $1000 which is for upper and lower Spohn arms, Spohn panhard bar and really good 4 wheel alignment. I would say order the upper arms and panhard first and see where that puts you. I noticed that by the time we were done installing and adjusting everything in the rear, that the lower spohn arms were less than 1/4" different from stock arms.

OP
OP
T

Tht1GrayRam48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't remember if i have any vibrations but yeah i noticed that it takes a pretty penny for the arms and panhard bar but im willing to make this work.Did you install the arms yourself?

razor1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
had them put on by a friend on a drive on lift. Since , I have done all the adjustments on them in the driveway.

OP
OP
T

Tht1GrayRam48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did u put ur pinion angles to 0° because anything other then that would still cause noises right?

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did u put ur pinion angles to 0° because anything other then that would still cause noises right?

Pinion angle is set to offset or the opposite of the transmission output shaft angle within a degree. Example, if your trans output shaft is at 2 degrees negative then you want to put the at 1-2 degrees positive. If the trans is at 4 degrees negative like mine is putting the pinion angle at 0 would cause a driveline vibration. You pretty much want to match what the output shaft is to offset the angles.

some say a degree off in the lower direction is good cause under load and launch the pinion angle will change with suspension movement. on a full dress drag car I would offset the numbers more due to being under full load for only 1/4 mile but on a street car they need to be equal or as close to equal as possible.

Here is some discussion on the adjustment
http://www.ramforum.com/f39/spohn_adjustment_issues-88996/

OP
OP
T

Tht1GrayRam48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did not know that see i was just going off the instructions that cane with the control arms.

OP
OP
T

Tht1GrayRam48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pinion angle is set to offset or the opposite of the transmission output shaft angle within a degree. Example, if your trans output shaft is at 2 degrees negative then you want to put the at 1-2 degrees positive. If the trans is at 4 degrees negative like mine is putting the pinion angle at 0 would cause a driveline vibration. You pretty much want to match what the output shaft is to offset the angles.

some say a degree off in the lower direction is good cause under load and launch the pinion angle will change with suspension movement. on a full dress drag car I would offset the numbers more due to being under full load for only 1/4 mile but on a street car they need to be equal or as close to equal as possible.

Here is some discussion on the adjustment
http://www.ramforum.com/f39/spohn_adjustment_issues-88996/
Just came from the dealer and was told pinion angles are good but the transmission end of the drive shaft is now at a bad angle. Was told to lower the crossmember holding the trans in place to get it back to normal. Going to try out wht u just mentioned and match the output shaft and see if that does it.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just came from the dealer and was told pinion angles are good but the transmission end of the drive shaft is now at a bad angle. Was told to lower the crossmember holding the trans in place to get it back to normal. Going to try out wht u just mentioned and match the output shaft and see if that does it.
Also look at what dubstep suggested on shimming the trans on its mount to change the trans angle. But the pinion still needs to match it. If the trans is 2° negative then axle should be 2° positive, or close to it if you want to compensate a little while driving.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tht1GrayRam48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if i match the angles from the trans and pinion angle, is it still necessery for me to shim or lower the crossmember of the trans?

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if i match the angles from the trans and pinion angle, is it still necessery for me to shim or lower the crossmember of the trans?

In theory No, but it is the right thing to do if your trans is out of spec. Not sure why it is would would be unless the trans mount has settled or failing. I have not looked at mine yet but will be researching what the specs are and if they mine is out of spec I will replace it and if that doesn't change the angle I will shim.

The thing to notice and remember is the more angle on the axle the more angle on the spring perches, changes how it rides and performs. I'm at 4 degrees and do not like the spring angle caused by centering the axle and excessive pinion angle. I'll take some pics if I can make the time to crawl under it this weekend.