Lowering...is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sickboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, i just picked up a new 2016 rcsb Hemi and was wanting to lower it, BUT i hear all kinds of drama. I don't mind spending the money on the top quality products to alleviate this, but it appears to be issues no matter which way you go.
Death wobble on ALL 2/4 kits, fixable with Spohn control arms and pan hard? Cool, but i hear the Spohn bushings blow out and the arms themselves are in need of constant adjustment.
Is there ANY combination that isn't a constant headache? I was planning on the following, is there a more dependable combo?
McGuaghy's 2/4
Spohn upper/lower rear control arms and pan hard
Helwig sway bars

A little help?

RamonaRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a bell tech 2/4 drop on my 16 ram rt and so far I have no issues other than hitting the bump stops. It's not very often tho.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The number of people with problems on here is disproportionate to the number of actual users with the kits and not indicative of a major issue.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd be more worried about the driveshaft coming apart after the drop more then anything.

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would suggest Belltech 2/4 with street performance shock (for rear only) airlift 1000 bags, hellwig rear sway bar, adjustable panhard bar. That's it. Maybe the shorter moog f-150 front sway bar end link. No issue with h driveshaft vibration, no death wobble, no bottoming out issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I had belltech 2/4 with street performance shocks plus a hellwig rear sway and loved it. 1 1/2 - 2 inches from tire to fender all around. Bend the gas tank shield from the drive shaft with some pliers. Take apart and grease the sway bar end links. Go to a very very good alignment guy a week later. No death wobble. Just take it easy on big bumps.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did a Mcgaughys economy 2/4 & Spohn panhard bar last night. I already had a rear Hellwig sway bar. So far I'm impressed. I drove it to work this morning & the ride was great compared to the other lowered trucks that I have had. I will probably wait a few days & let the springs settle before I go for an alignment.

OP
OP
S

sickboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would suggest Belltech 2/4 with street performance shock (for rear only) airlift 1000 bags, hellwig rear sway bar, adjustable panhard bar. That's it. Maybe the shorter moog f-150 front sway bar end link. No issue with h driveshaft vibration, no death wobble, no bottoming out issues.

how long have you been running this set up? (approx. miles)

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
how long have you been running this set up? (approx. miles)

See following:

Belltech 2/4 with spohn control arms
Street performance shock rear only
Belltech rear sway bar end links (comes with kit)
Adjustable pan hard
Moog f159 end links
Hellwig sway bar rear only

Approx. mileage 800-1000

Issues: no suspension travel (was sitting on the bumpstops)

Crown suspension 1/2
Stock control arms
Stock shocks front and rear
Moog f150 front end links
Adjustable panhard

Approx mileage 1500-1900

Issues: no issues. Though would of preferred it to be lower. However, it would be better to have a shorter shock with this drop than the stock one. When you jack the vehicle up or if you had ALOT of articulation you run the risk of the spring becoming unseated.

Belltech 2/4
Stock control arms
Street performance rear shock only
Adjustable panhard
Hellwig rear sway bar

Approx mileage: 800-1000

Issues: none so far. I have not hit the bump stops a single time. No excessive driveshaft vibration. I have rubbed the driveshaft on the heat shield once in a very hard left turn.

Possible solution, bend the shield a little bit. Also, you could push the axle slightly to the right to give a little more clearance between the shaft and the shield. I wouldn't really suggest that though because I don't know if that would adversely affect the driveshaft connection at the rear diff. I am sure there is an acceptable tolerance but after a certain point I am sure it would cause issue if you were to move the axle too far right (when looking from back of the truck to the front).

OP
OP
S

sickboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What year Ford front sway bar links are you guys using...or maybe a part #?
Thanks for the information.

FlynDutchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
See following:

Belltech 2/4 with spohn control arms
Street performance shock rear only
Adjustable pan hard
Moog f159 end links

Approx. mileage 800-1000

Issues: no suspension travel (was sitting on the bumpstops)

Crown suspension 1/2
Stock control arms
Stock shocks front and rear
Adjustable panhard

Approx mileage 1500-1900

Issues: no issues. Though would of preferred it to be lower. However, it would be better to have a shorter shock with this drop than the stock one. When you jack the vehicle up or if you had ALOT of articulation you run the risk of the spring becoming unseated.

Belltech 2/4
Stock control arms
Street performance rear shock only
Adjustable panhard
Hellwig rear sway bar

Approx mileage: 800-1000

Issues: none so far. I have not hit the bump stops a single time. No excessive driveshaft vibration. I have rubbed the driveshaft on the heat shield once in a very hard left turn.

Possible solution, bend the shield a little bit. Also, you could push the axle slightly to the right to give a little more clearance between the shaft and the shield. I wouldn't really suggest that though because I don't know if that would adversely affect the driveshaft connection at the rear diff. I am sure there is an acceptable tolerance but after a certain point I am sure it would cause issue if you were to move the axle too far right (when looking from back of the truck to the front).

Am I correct in reading that with the adjustable control arms added that you lost all the rear suspension travel? Arms shouldn't cause that unless they were miss installed or adjusted improperly. But I'm not a pro on these truck suspensions. Some clarification would be appreciated.

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Am I correct in reading that with the adjustable control arms added that you lost all the rear suspension travel? Arms shouldn't cause that unless they were miss installed or adjusted improperly. But I'm not a pro on these truck suspensions. Some clarification would be appreciated.

Yes, you are correct. I lost literally all suspension travel in the rear (axle plate was touching bumpstops, so the truck was effectively a hard tail motorcycle equivalent).

That being said, it was not because of any inherit issues with the spohn arms but rather poor adjustment from the shop. The only issue with the arms (which I have not experienced because I ran mine for such a limited time) is the frequent adjustments (tightening of the retainer clip) while the del-sphere joint is being broken in.

Though you do not need to have adjustable arms to run the belltech 2/4 drop, my truck is running just fine with the stock arms. The spohn arms are expensive and they do stiffen up the suspension overall (better feedback from the road since there is less play and give over the stock control arms rubber bushings).

My advice after going through everything so far is run a belltech 2/4, SP shock rear only (since you can get it with the BT 2/4 kit), hellwig rear sway bar, adjustable panhard, airlift 1000 bags (from moes) and thats it. I have spent a lot of extra $$$ that never should of been spent to begin with. I wish I knew then what I know now and I could of saved well over a $1,000 (in parts and labor from the shop).

FlynDutchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes, you are correct. I lost literally all suspension travel in the rear (axle plate was touching bumpstops, so the truck was effectively a hard tail motorcycle equivalent).

That being said, it was not because of any inherit issues with the spohn arms but rather poor adjustment from the shop. The only issue with the arms (which I have not experienced because I ran mine for such a limited time) is the frequent adjustments (tightening of the retainer clip) while the del-sphere joint is being broken in.

Though you do not need to have adjustable arms to run the belltech 2/4 drop, my truck is running just fine with the stock arms. The spohn arms are expensive and they do stiffen up the suspension overall (better feedback from the road since there is less play and give over the stock control arms rubber bushings).

My advice after going through everything so far is run a belltech 2/4, SP shock rear only (since you can get it with the BT 2/4 kit), hellwig rear sway bar, adjustable panhard, airlift 1000 bags (from moes) and thats it. I have spent a lot of extra $$$ that never should of been spent to begin with. I wish I knew then what I know now and I could of saved well over a $1,000 (in parts and labor from the shop).

Good to know, thanks for the reply

Sowardcustoms

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
You tell me if its worth it. :) Ive had 6 new body style rams and all of them lowered and ive never had any issues. In my opinion the spohn bars are just for looks. They correct the look of the wheel centering. The track bar just allows you to center the axle from side to side (looks) as long as you get the right lowering kit you will be fine. Now I wouldnt mind ordering me up some sway bars I like to take curves pretty hard...

Attachments

• MY NEW RAM.jpg
    MY NEW RAM.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 233

Jeffmiller32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've kind of had these same concerns as the OP. I'm definitely a huge fan of dropped RCSB. A 4/6 drop on a Chevy looks pretty sweet. Functionality, I'm not sure never owned a drop truck. This is my first Ram.

The original plan was to drop it but the more I read in the forums the more I'm looking at leveling and going with 33s. Seems way less troublesome. Bilstein 5100s 18x10 maybe 20x10 and some tires. Call it a day.