McGaughy 2/4 kit decisions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gr8ridn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have decided to go for a McG lowering kit on my 2012 Express, Reg Cab. At first I decided on the Premium kit with the new steering knuckles. This kit will retain the steering geometry and travel of the stock setup. The cost difference has no bearing on my decision, I just want the best kit.

There might be a couple drawbacks to the deluxe knuckle kit.

1. I have been reading about the deluxe kit resulting in a wider front track. I want something that will not stand the tires further outside the fenders.

2. Another issue for me is the material used for the McB knuckle. The OEM is aluminum and the McG Knuckle appears to be steel or cast iron. Is that true? While steel would be strong it seems it would add a significant un-sprung weight that isn't optimal.

3. Looking on the McG site they show the deluxe kit is actually recommended for the quad cab. That means the rear springs might be stiffer than optimal for my regular cab. Any experience with this?

I am starting to lean toward the all spring kit. It coordinates all spring rates, eliminates the issues of wider front track, retains stock un-sprung weight, and is calibrated for the regular cab. I don't want to lower the truck further.
The drawbacks might be,

1. Front alignment might be tricky for my alignment shop. Anyone had problems getting the front aligned with the 2" springs?

2. Any issues with reduced suspension travel in the front with the spring lowering method? It seems the travel should be adequate with the new bump stop provided.

I am looking for your experience with any of these concerns. I am ready to order and don't want to regret my choice of kits after I have installed the kit.

Feedback on any of these concerns will make the decision easier for me and probably other members considering this mod.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lower wider track is a good thing. I understand the concern with the wheels sticking out a touch more, but as long as you maintain the proper backspacing this won't be an issue.

I believe the factory wheels are still plenty 'inside' the wheel wells with the spindles.

Also, realize that as you lower, regardless of how you achieve it, you're going to widen the track, unless you have custom control arms made. Not saying it's a bad thing, it's just what happens with unequal length control arms. To re-align the camber, you get a wider track in most cases. (Alignment being done at the upper control arm)

jojo750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
DSC_0029.jpg

this is how far the wheels will stick out using the mcg deluxe kit (spindles).
its not that bad imo... if it bothers you, just get the spring kit. its cheaper.

OP
OP
G

gr8ridn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, I saw that before. The extra width isn't that bad at all.

Were your spindles steel/iron? McG site says they are 60 pounds for the pair. Seems kind of heavy.

I don't want to end up with a lesser result just to save a few bucks, just looking for the best solution

OP
OP
G

gr8ridn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One other question, Jojo. Is your truck a reg or quad cab. The spring only kits are different for each. There is one spindle kit listed for quads.

jojo750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Thanks, I saw that before. The extra width isn't that bad at all.

Were your spindles steel/iron? McG site says they are 60 pounds for the pair. Seems kind of heavy.

I don't want to end up with a lesser result just to save a few bucks, just looking for the best solution

One other question, Jojo. Is your truck a reg or quad cab. The spring only kits are different for each. There is one spindle kit listed for quads.

i have a quad cab.
and i would say the spindles were steel. pretty heavy. but the stock ones arent that light to begin with. its not much weight difference between the two.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seeing as how the spindles physically move the hub 2" the cab configuration doesn't matter. It'll make it 2" lower than it was.

OP
OP
G

gr8ridn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Everyone for the information and your experience. Only thing left is to call McGaughys with my specific questions and order. If there are any new revelations I will post here with what I have learned that might benefit those considering the purchase.

Jacobs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
that would be great. im also considering the deluxe kit.

OP
OP
G

gr8ridn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did call McGaugly's the next day and the answers were short for my questions.

I wasn't impressed with the information content to specific questions. Must answers were " it works or you will have to measure yourself to determine how much suspension travel remains." To me these were non answers so I was basically left to find out for myself. No technical help there. The person I talked to seemed to exhibit the attitude I was wasting his valuable time. Ok I get that they don't staff professional customer techline reps, but a little effort to help customers understand the kit specs would be appreciated.
I did find out the spindles were made of cast ductile iron, a very strong but heavy material choice for this application. I was left to my own research and decided the heavy last century design of the spindles was still a better alternative to springs. Unlike the springs I would retain full suspension travel and close to stock front geometry with the spindles. If the new spindles were made from aluminum like the stock units it would be a win/win. I would have gladly paid the extra cost to manufacture the spindle from a lighter material in the interest of improving suspension performance.

I did install the kit last Saturday and it went well with the exception of a couple of issues encountered.
The guy at McG failed to mention there is a problem with the fit on 2012 trucks due to a change in clearance between the spindle and ball joint. He specifically said this kit would be fine for my 2012 Ram. I had to grind material off the iron spindle to get proper clearance and eliminate binding.
A little more work had to be done on the rear springs because my brake lines were too short to to lower the axle for spring removal. Maybe the instructions should have mentioned that.
The panard bar relocation kit shows good suspension design, but the fit was not good. Several bolt holes were reamed to be usable. Design concept A, Execution D.
One of the bump stops was missing from the package. 2 Bolts for the sway bar links were missing.
The instructions were not well done as far the the pictures and explanation of procedures.

Enough of the ********, the kit does provide what they advertise. I got the stance I was after with side to side height accuracy. I haven't had a chance to drive, I will align the front tomorrow and then see how the ride is. I think the engineering of the kit is good, but some aspects of manufacturing are a little weak. I am hoping this kit will prove to be durable. I have read no complaints about suspension failures with this kit.

OP
OP
G

gr8ridn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Today I got the front aligned and took the truck for it's first drive. Although I was initially disappointed by McGauglys response and some manufacturing issues I must say that is a forgotten memory.

The handling is spot on with a ride that equals the stock ride if not a bit more firm. The front was set to factory specs after it was way off due to the different spindles. There was still room for more adjustment if needed later. The front wheels don't stand out as far with the correct camber set. Caster is good as evidenced by good straight line stability and return from a turn position. While unsprung weight was increased, the susepnsion feels like it is staying in contact with uneven roads with no issues of clearance or tire rub.

After a little mountain driving I added the rear Hellwig sway bar. I had no rear sway bar on my Express, but all the mount points were there. A trip to the local hardware store for metric fasteners to mount the sway bar bushings and end links supplied with the McG kit was all I needed. That installation took about a half hour. Back out it was amazing how much the added bar tightened up the handling through curves while retaining the good ride. I am very pleased with the results from the lowering kit and sway bar installation. You will be very pleased if you decide to go this route.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Very excellent write-up man! I'm sorry the kit didn't come as advertised, that's very unfortunate. But I'm glad your happy with the finished product!

Welcome to the lowered side of life! And also... PICS PLEASE! :********:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is REALLY pushing me to lower mine.. *sigh*

More damned money. Where'd you get the McG's deluxe kit from? How much did ya pay?

OP
OP
G

gr8ridn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, no pictures yet. I will post very soon. Just need a break from the weather. It's been raining, snowing, hailing for the past 4 days. Perhaps I will get pictures tomorrow.

I got the Kit from Summit Racing. Total price was $568.00 shipped and they had and maybe still have a $50.00 bonus bucks deal I can apply to future purchases.

I am very pleased with the end result of this suspension kit and sway bar.