McGaughys Lowering Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCWFLHX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 QC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have decided that I am definitely going to use one of McGaughys lowering kits to drop my truck. I just can't make up my mind on what one I want to use. Is it worth the extra money to buy the deluxe kit? If I do use the deluxe kit, How much further do the spindles make your tires stick out?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I've never been a member of the lowered class, so hopefully somebody that knows will chime in soon

HEMIRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've been in your position already so I can put in my 2 cents. The spindles are obviously a superior way to drop the front but as you know they do increase your track. The amount they stick out is the big issue. After posting on sites I found wildly differing opinions, some say allot, very noticeable, some say not so much, so I called McGaughy's directly and asked. Their response was "up to 3/8" of an inch increase". However I didn't think to ask of that was per side, and if it is, that's allot being a total of 1-1/2". From what I've heard from postings that might be the case. In any event, I went with the regular spring kit due to all this conflict, I wasn't crazy about messing with the tracking on my brand new truck. After installation alignment was done and it drives like it did before dropping, no problem's there. You should realize though your taking a suspension system having approx. 5 to 6 inches of travel and decreasing it to say 2 inches to 2-1/2 inches of travel. The springs are progressive wound so the ride stays pretty decent till you hit some big bumps then you will be on the bump stops from some jarring action, not too bad, but you will certainly know. The end result is your truck will definitely look cooler, but your going to suffer somewhat with the ride. Hope this helps :) I've attached a pic with the 2-4 drop on my R/T

Attachments

• 100_0536.jpg
    100_0536.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 16,301

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Their response was "up to 3/8" of an inch increase". However I didn't think to ask of that was per side, and if it is, that's allot being a total of 1-1/2".

Fractions Fail!

I'm deeply pondering spindles as well. I'm not sure I'll be satisfied with 2" of drop, so I'm thinking if I get spindles, I'll still have plenty of coil to 'modify' as I see fit.

The wider front track would technically help you turn a bit better, but I really doubt any of us drive our trucks hard enough consistently to notice that change (likely the lower CG would have more of a positive effect)

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Use the coils if your only going for 2 inches of drop. If you want to go lower, get the spindles and then fine tune it lower with springs. I used spindles on my 05 4x4 and then tweaked the rest for a 3/5 drop. Tires never stuck out any more than normal.

HEMIRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Fractions Fail!

I'm deeply pondering spindles as well. I'm not sure I'll be satisfied with 2" of drop, so I'm thinking if I get spindles, I'll still have plenty of coil to 'modify' as I see fit.

The wider front track would technically help you turn a bit better, but I really doubt any of us drive our trucks hard enough consistently to notice that change (likely the lower CG would have more of a positive effect)

I think it really depends on what wheels you have. In my case having wide 22" wheels and tires I can see that if I got pushed out any wider and then lowered it more it would definitely hit the fender, maybe not on yours being an Express with 20's, would be worth looking at first before taking the plunge. I am assuming your talking about lowering your Express?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it really depends on what wheels you have. In my case having wide 22" wheels and tires I can see that if I got pushed out any wider and then lowered it more it would definitely hit the fender, maybe not on yours being an Express with 20's, would be worth looking at first before taking the plunge. I am assuming your talking about lowering your Express?

I completely agree. I'm really wanting some Billet 22s (Raceline? I can't think of the brand) they are 'custom' so I can specify whatever offset I want. But yeah, the 'cheap' Express 20x8s wouldn't stick out at all.

OP
OP
J

JCWFLHX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 QC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info guys I'll probably just go with the springs. If I decide to go lower I'll add the spindles and go witH narrower tires in the front to keep it all clean. Thanks again guys all of your inputs were very helpful.