mcgaughys lowering kit issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spblack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 dodge ram sport
Engine
Hey guys,
New guy here. I just picked up a 2015 ram sport with what appears to be a 2-4 drop kit from mcgaughys from my research. truck originally had 26s from previous owner and it rode like complete dog crap. I swapped them out with some 22s and the rear still feels like im going to flip the truck around 75 mph on the freeway going around a curve. if theres a dip in the road during that curve my truck will walk in the rear end. pretty scaring stuff. I am just wondering before I start tearing into it if this is a common problem with their rear set up and the coils being too soft or bad design? I ordered some 2" lowering springs from sdtrucksprings pn ttc-1210L before I found out what kit was on my truck. now I am worried the rear sway adjustment with the mcgaughys kit and different springs. I guess ill find out. thanks for your advise in advance.

Attachments

• 008_0008.jpg
    008_0008.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 5,572
  • 12308379_1146492005361730_90667516191857462_n.jpg
    12308379_1146492005361730_90667516191857462_n.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7,251

mikennrg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,
New guy here. I just picked up a 2015 ram sport with what appears to be a 2-4 drop kit from mcgaughys from my research. truck originally had 26s from previous owner and it rode like complete dog crap. I swapped them out with some 22s and the rear still feels like im going to flip the truck around 75 mph on the freeway going around a curve. if theres a dip in the road during that curve my truck will walk in the rear end. pretty scaring stuff. I am just wondering before I start tearing into it if this is a common problem with their rear set up and the coils being too soft or bad design? I ordered some 2" lowering springs from sdtrucksprings pn ttc-1210L before I found out what kit was on my truck. now I am worried the rear sway adjustment with the mcgaughys kit and different springs. I guess ill find out. thanks for your advise in advance.

Are you sure the pahnard bracket is on the truck? If it's not that would explain a lot of the issues. A hellwig sway bar will help.

OP
OP
spblack

spblack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 dodge ram sport
Engine
Are you sure the pahnard bracket is on the truck? If it's not that would explain a lot of the issues. A hellwig sway bar will help.

it does look like an after market bracket for panhard bar. I will have to take another look at in the morning. it also looks like the mcgaughys shorter arms for sway bar are added. truck rides great under 50 mph. it will hit the bump stops over certain dips. I am just not impressed nor do I feel safe driving the truck at freeway speeds. its pretty sad. I will look into the hellwig sway bar. I am also looking into the loadlifter 5000 bags as I will need to pull a trailer from time to time.

mikennrg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it does look like an after market bracket for panhard bar. I will have to take another look at in the morning. it also looks like the mcgaughys shorter arms for sway bar are added. truck rides great under 50 mph. it will hit the bump stops over certain dips. I am just not impressed nor do I feel safe driving the truck at freeway speeds. its pretty sad. I will look into the hellwig sway bar. I am also looking into the loadlifter 5000 bags as I will need to pull a trailer from time to time.

Honestly the only 100% cure is a Watts link. Sadly nobody makes a kit for our trucks that doesn't have to be welded on. Even if you switch everything back to stock you're still stuck with the inferior Panhard bar. The best thing you can do with bolt-on is to add a Hellwig to help some with the side to side and add air helpers to increase your spring's effective spring rate. QA1's with adjustable compression would also help. That's my next mod. Eventually I'm doing a Watts link.

15ramrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i have the mcgaughys 2/4 deluxe kit on my r/t and i dont have any of the issues youre describing. i especially dont have issues with hitting my bump stops. were you able to pull a part number off your kit?

OP
OP
spblack

spblack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 dodge ram sport
Engine
I have the 2-4 kit with spindles up front, rear springs and panhard bar relocation bracket. I ordered some helper bags and front and rear sway bar from hellwig. im going to hold off on changing springs until I install all the stuff I just ordered and see if it helps.

Attachments

• 141500328846_1.jpg
    141500328846_1.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,440
  • 20151205_100609.jpg
    20151205_100609.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 580
  • 20151204_154524.jpg
    20151204_154524.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 207
OP
OP
spblack

spblack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 dodge ram sport
Engine
bump stops

Attachments

• 20151204_154121.jpg
    20151204_154121.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 216

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Hellwigs should help, but it's strange you are having the issues to begin with. I wonder if you are on factory shocks still and they are just worn smooth out??? I'm 2/4 on 24s with stock sways and the Ground Force springs and shocks and my truck is very planted. I live in DFW TX and some of our highways are complete ****. I can hit dips and bumps at 70mph with zero concern. It actually feels more safe now than it did factory.

OP
OP
spblack

spblack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 dodge ram sport
Engine
I talked to a vendor of mcgaughys and he mentioned every now and then he will get a complaint about the mcgaughys kit. he mentioned they weren't built for performance and more for looks. like I said, truck rides great below 50 mph besides hitting the bump stops occasionally. just a freeway speeds its horrible. hopefully the sway bars and bags help it out, otherwise ill will be having some drop springs for sale soon. truck only has 5k miles on it.

Slowpar R/T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
IDK if it will help the rear end but have you had the alignment checked?

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I talked to a vendor of mcgaughys and he mentioned every now and then he will get a complaint about the mcgaughys kit. he mentioned they weren't built for performance and more for looks. like I said, truck rides great below 50 mph besides hitting the bump stops occasionally. just a freeway speeds its horrible. hopefully the sway bars and bags help it out, otherwise ill will be having some drop springs for sale soon. truck only has 5k miles on it.

Ground Force has the best drop springs. If you look at them side by side with belltech and mcgaughys there is no comparison. If you want the look but you want some performance out of them then GF is the way to go. Sell your MCG on here and scoop some GF.

TreyBear

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express night rider edition
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used Belltech for 2/4 drop and level stance. Rides smooth on highway and gravel. I am putting rear air ride suspension so when I pull trailer with jeep on it will not squat.

OP
OP
spblack

spblack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 dodge ram sport
Engine
well, my air lift 5000 kit came in. its going to be tight to install them with the current configuration. im going to remove the 4" mcgaughy rear drop kit and install the sdsprings 2" drop springs in there and install the air bags. truck wont look as good as but atleast it will function as a truck again. seems the mcgaughy springs compressed and the truck is almost an inch lower in the rear than the front. anyone have measurements like the picture below? right now im sitting at 33.5 inches from the ground to the center of the bottom of the fender . im kinda curious what you guys measure. please note your configuration so I can compare. thanks again.

Attachments

• 20151210_175850.jpg
    20151210_175850.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 198
OP
OP
spblack

spblack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 dodge ram sport
Engine
IDK if it will help the rear end but have you had the alignment checked?

i had this done as soon as i removed the 26" wheels thinking it would help. i didn't notice any change.

OP
OP
spblack

spblack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 dodge ram sport
Engine
Ground Force has the best drop springs. If you look at them side by side with belltech and mcgaughys there is no comparison. If you want the look but you want some performance out of them then GF is the way to go. Sell your MCG on here and scoop some GF.

i had the ground force leveling springs in the rear of my 2010 ram sport. i noticed after a few months that they settled and had a little high speed sway as well. im thinking this coil spring setup for our trucks is just a really bad design after time.

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hellwig swaybar helped some for me. When i remove my front sway for thedragstrip i noticed on the drive there my wobble was muchworse. So it leads me to believe a front hellwig swaybar will help me.

15ramrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
well, my air lift 5000 kit came in. its going to be tight to install them with the current configuration. im going to remove the 4" mcgaughy rear drop kit and install the sdsprings 2" drop springs in there and install the air bags. truck wont look as good as but atleast it will function as a truck again. seems the mcgaughy springs compressed and the truck is almost an inch lower in the rear than the front. anyone have measurements like the picture below? right now im sitting at 33.5 inches from the ground to the center of the bottom of the fender . im kinda curious what you guys measure. please note your configuration so I can compare. thanks again.

currently, im sitting at 35.5 inches in the back and im 35 inches up front. maybe your springs have been cut??? i have 10k miles on my kit and i have dirt bikes (500lbs) in the bed of my truck every weekend so my springs have been "worked." sorry youre having a hard time with your kit, its unfortunate.

OP
OP
spblack

spblack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 dodge ram sport
Engine
currently, im sitting at 35.5 inches in the back and im 35 inches up front. maybe your springs have been cut??? i have 10k miles on my kit and i have dirt bikes (500lbs) in the bed of my truck every weekend so my springs have been "worked." sorry youre having a hard time with your kit, its unfortunate.

well, that just tells me I got a 3-5 drop and would explain my issues more. I bet the previous owner probably did do something to do the springs. thanks for you help. I knew something was off.

Rodrijam000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI V8 5.7
I also have a ram I'm looking into putting a lowering 2/4 kit , what do you recommended on kits? I live really close to DFW also ,