my mcgaughys 2/4 deluxe into a 3/5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

15ramrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so.... i have the mcgaughys 2/4 deluxe on my R/T already. because its a spindle drop and the track width has already increased by an inch, my question is, if i cut an inch off the front springs, will the change in geometry of the front end increase my track width even more???

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Cutting your front coils will actually pull the wheels back in some.

OP
OP

15ramrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

that would be phenomenal. i cant stand the wider stance up front. will i run into any issues witht eh geometry of the rear end with that aggressive of a drop?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
At a 5" rear drop, your rear wheels are going to be pushed into the front of the rear fenders. A set of Spohn adjustable control arms will allow you to fix this and set your pinion angle correctly after the drop. Once you hit 5.5" in the rear, you run the risk of the upper arm hitting the frame when the suspension bottoms out. I ended up having to have new rear control arm brackets built because of this. I am right at 5.5" rear drop.

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi

How do you figure? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this one. I wouldn't think cutting coils would have any effect on track width.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How do you figure? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this one. I wouldn't think cutting coils would have any effect on track width.

The same way lowering the truck moves the wheels towards the front of the wheel well: Track radius on the control arms.

mikennrg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

A simple way to explain this would be to stand with your arm completely horizontal and just touching a wall. Now move your hand up 2''. It will no longer be touching the wall.

armstrong87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great info, i have had my ram lowerex, and the back wheels do go foward at 5 inches. As far as the front im not sure i had springs