Newbie with R/T wanting to cut BT 2/4 to a 3/5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smurfkiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok yes so as it says i just picked up my 16 r/t over the weekend. i ordered the 964 BT kit. i would like to know how much to cut as a starting point to get 3/5 out of it. later when i get the adjustable Spohn rear kit i might go lower. Ill do Qa1 shocks on the rear

I did try to search for a how to no real luck. also first complaint. Damn we have no wheels selection huh. i want some 24" or even 22" Torq Thrust / Cragar SS style 5 spoke wheels. cant find anything.

Thank for the help guys

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If I remember correctly it was full coil off the rear and 1/2 coil from the front

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll have to recount my coils cause I don't remember, but somewhere on the forum I was asking about coils for off the shelf coil #'s vs my modified. Might search for that post.

but you have to be careful going to low cause you will basically be riding on the bumps even with the shorter bump stops installed. and the rear doesn't have much room when you get that low also.

I'd suggest taking a little at a time till you get the desired height with watching out for conflicts. which means taking it apart and back together many times.

OP
OP
S

Smurfkiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll have to recount my coils cause I don't remember, but somewhere on the forum I was asking about coils for off the shelf coil #'s vs my modified. Might search for that post.

but you have to be careful going to low cause you will basically be riding on the bumps even with the shorter bump stops installed. and the rear doesn't have much room when you get that low also.

I'd suggest taking a little at a time till you get the desired height with watching out for conflicts. which means taking it apart and back together many times.

Thank You R/T Fire ! i found you stated yours were cut 1 coil front 3 rear. are you sure your springs are Belltechs that were cut down? i love them way your truck sits. i not worried about bump stops etc. if i need to ill c notch frame. and i fully expect to take it apart over and over. im general mngr of one of the largest Offroad & Performance shops in texas so no biggie i have $40k+ in my own tools and access to lifts welders etc in the shop. i think i want to end up around 5/7 which ill do the McG spindles on the front. im also trying to find a set of FOX shocks to work on the rear.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if your going that extreme I wouldn't even waste time with a coil, I'd go straight to air ride,

look into this rig done by bgray. Might be more up your ally of what you are looking for. lots of good info in these posts.
http://www.ramforum.com/f39/ride_tech_kit-79660/index11.html
and BlackSheeps sweet ride
http://www.ramforum.com/f39/black_sheep-67546/

And yes they are belltechs, somewhere I have a pic of the part number of the exact spring in there.... just don't know where it is.

But I am also looking to get ride of the BT system and switch over to a 2" knuckle drop with a 1" spring up front from crown to get the geometry back to normal and retain the 3" front drop. Going to a 5" up front you will basically be completely rebuilding the whole front end. Control arms will be hitting the frame with anything more than a 3" up front, your camber will be crazy bad and it will drive like compete dog crap.

OP
OP
S

Smurfkiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if your going that extreme I wouldn't even waste time with a coil, I'd go straight to air ride,

look into this rig done by bgray. Might be more up your ally of what you are looking for. lots of good info in these posts.
http://www.ramforum.com/f39/ride_tech_kit-79660/index11.html
and BlackSheeps sweet ride
http://www.ramforum.com/f39/black_sheep-67546/

And yes they are belltechs, somewhere I have a pic of the part number of the exact spring in there.... just don't know where it is.

But I am also looking to get ride of the BT system and switch over to a 2" knuckle drop with a 1" spring up front from crown to get the geometry back to normal and retain the 3" front drop. Going to a 5" up front you will basically be completely rebuilding the whole front end. Control arms will be hitting the frame with anything more than a 3" up front, your camber will be crazy bad and it will drive like compete dog crap.

yeah at 5/7 we would build new control arms etc id be tubbing the rear to fit the massive 405/25/24 pirelli tires, thats full on SEMA build though. for now i just want low and daily. i have always stayed with the idea no turbos or airbags for dailys. CST does offer adjustable control arms for these trucks. not sure if they would be enough for all that. but id worry about the extreme when i get there.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CST does offer adjustable control arms for these trucks. not sure if they would be enough for all that. but id worry about the extreme when i get there.

Do you have a web link for those? Nevermind, Found them and damn they are $$$$$ I may just stick with making my own

Last edited:

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your planing on cutting the BT spring to achieve a 3/5 drop.

Cut as follows...

Front Spring: cut 1/2 coil from bottom of spring

Rear Spring: cut 1 full coil from top of spring

OP
OP
S

Smurfkiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your planing on cutting the BT spring to achieve a 3/5 drop.

Cut as follows...

Front Spring: cut 1/2 coil from bottom of spring

Rear Spring: cut 1 full coil from top of spring

where did yo find this info? i have been looking for a write up on this.

i just ordered my belltech 964 kit. was this on a rcsb?

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Any pics of a 3/5 ?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Do you have a web link for those? Nevermind, Found them and damn they are $$$$$ I may just stick with making my own

I'd pay that to get some adjustable upper arms to get my camber back to zero. They do state call for discounted bulk pricing, might try and do a group buy for the sticklers like us. the MMW ones I have are nice but definitely not the ideal.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd pay that to get some adjustable upper arms to get my camber back to zero. They do state call for discounted bulk pricing, might try and do a group buy for the sticklers like us. the MMW ones I have are nice but definitely not the ideal.
Good idea, just mot sure how much i want to spend before i get serious about looking into coilovers. Need to see how these inteegrate into that which means i need to design it.... 200-300 id just buy them $800 is a bit much to possibly not use later

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I wonder if they would work for our lowered trucks since they are meant for lifted trucks. The arms seam a little shorter than stock arms. If they work I would be willing to give them a try if the price is right...

275-1564.jpg

275-1722.jpg

Silver Bullet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10 8.3L
I have there upper control arm mounts, upper control arms on my truck

97417C23-45AA-4224-9FBD-605141F36654_zpsbm82dlfr.jpg