Pinion Angle with 1" Drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jetmaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I posted a question a month or so back about doing a 1/2 drop. I'm now considering lowering 1" all around. Would it be necessary, or wise, to check the pinion angle with such a small drop?

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I posted a question a month or so back about doing a 1/2 drop. I'm now considering lowering 1" all around. Would it be necessary, or wise, to check the pinion angle with such a small drop?

I would check it because it's not that difficult to do.....but you will need a way to adjust it if you want it back to a stock position.

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Like moregrip said. You should check it, but without adjustable control arms there really is no way to change it (I guess you could shim the transmission to change the angle of the tranny output shaft where it meets the driveshaft, but that is way more difficult I would imagine than just buying adjustable control arms).

Though a 1" drop is so slight it won't be an issue. To give you perspective... I had a crown suspension 2" drop in the rear with stock control arms (so no adjusting of the pinion angle) and the truck drove fine. There were no driveshaft vibrations.

Now I am running a Belltech 4" drop with stock control arms and they too are also fine. No vibration or issue.

So to wrap it all up: If you are doing a 1" or 2" drop, just run stock control arms. Sure you can go ahead and measure the angle just to see what it is stock vs. lowered but don't bother trying to adjust it.