potential high performance lowered spring option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I received my Belltech lowering springs recently and decided to do some measuring. Looks like they are 5.5" OD and about 13" long.

Based on research done by another member here(ty) they are rated from Belltech at 800lbs.

I've discussed with and researched spring rates(nothing I would call comprehensive mind you) with other truckers who autocross and they use spring rates that range from about 900lbs to 1000lbs understanding some weight reduction has taken place.

So I'm thinking for our trucks with street performance in mind a setup of about 1000lbs might be a good starting point.

If you look at this page Afco sells a nice 5.5" OD spring rated @ 900/1000/1100 lbs respectively and measuring 11" long. Obviously that is a bit short......

https://www.afcodynapro.com/store/b...lSprings-57?search_api_views_fulltext=&page=3

I was thinking, with this adjustable spring spacer in place I see no reason why the 11" springs wouldn't work in our application; one could then fine tune their individual front suspension ride height(assuming less spring compression once a vehicle weight is introduced).

https://www.afcodynapro.com/AFCO/550693851

thoughts?

Last edited:

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm. Seems like an interesting idea and the springs are pretty cheap.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm. Seems like an interesting idea and the springs are pretty cheap.

I may look into testing this this winter when I tend to drive the Blazer more.

If no one has any feed back sooner I guess I'll pioneer this. $120 isn't all that much for some trial and error to find a good set up, but also need to look into a shock that matches this spring.

I'd really like to get it on a set of scales to see how the balance is.

I'm hoping to run into a few Race contacts this weekend while I'm at the NHRA drags in Sonoma. Or some time to take it over to a shop here locally that may be able to get a four corner weight to figure out the spring loading required

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sounds like it might work, so long as the OD and ID aren't too far off the stock coil sizes.

Gotta be able to stick the shock up through the spring.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was hoping you'd see this.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Me too, cause I will be calling upon him to help calc and figure out the weights needed once I find a scale and start spending the $$, If it gets expensive we might as well do air or custom coilovers.

I def need a stiffer spring up front

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was hoping you'd see this.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Me too, cause I will be calling upon him to help calc and figure out the weights needed once I find a scale and start spending the $$, If it gets expensive we might as well do air or custom coilovers.

I def need a stiffer spring up front

Hahaha you know I can't resist these threads...

Honestly the way I would look at this is using the OEM as the basis for everything else. If they think they have enough suspension travel and spring rate to prevent everything that could be a problem, then I'll take them at their word. They have millions and millions of dollars in testing and R&D to back up that choice.

Once you accept that, the spring rate question is an easy one. If you're halving your spring travel, you double your spring rate. Of course, your motion ratio will come into play somewhat with that premise, but it's still a simple one.

It also doesn't account for putting in shorter bumpstops or clearancing other parts of the truck, but it's a good place to start.

Anyways, I'm going home to work on the racecar now. :roflsquared:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hahaha you know I can't resist these threads...

Honestly the way I would look at this is using the OEM as the basis for everything else. If they think they have enough suspension travel and spring rate to prevent everything that could be a problem, then I'll take them at their word. They have millions and millions of dollars in testing and R&D to back up that choice.

But we all know that in many cases ride comfort comes before performance and those are two different spring settings. hence why some of us want stiffer springs that perform... All I know its above my paygrade to figure out... I design buildings and fabricate Crawlers where you don't have to engineer to a nats ass , just make it strong enough to not break

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
But we all know that in many cases ride comfort comes before performance and those are two different spring settings. hence why some of us want stiffer springs that perform... All I know its above my paygrade to figure out... I design buildings and fabricate Crawlers where you don't have to engineer to a nats ass , just make it strong enough to not break

Exactly.

That's if you want to keep the same level as the "street" setup the trucks come with stock.

If you want more performance, you can go even stiffer. I'd say if you could find something double the stock spring rate that would be a good place to start.