rear end noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big john 02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok guys so I lowered the truck about 2 months ago with the bell tech 2/4 but it wasn't low enough so I decided to cut the springs to go with the 3/5 look well I only cut a half coil all the way around. the front is perfect but the rear needs another half coil cut, so my issue is now I'm hear what sounds to be a loose shock, Ive have double and triple checked everything and its snug, but I am still hearing this noise. anyone have any ideas? also it seems to me that the springs are slightly loose, as in I don't know if they are seated correctly. I have done many lowering kits and with no issue this is actually the same kit I put on my 13 rt so I don't know whats up. any help would be great Thanks John

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I am not up on the lifting /lowering techniques, but it sounds like your shocks have bottomed out and/ or broken. Maybe the springs are loose feeling because the shocks are supporting the truck instead of the springs.

DERJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kind of hard to diagnose without more details on the sound...

Do you hear the noise going over bumps or when applying/removing power?
Are you using the stock shocks or the replacements from the Belltech kit?

Assuming your using the shorter Belltech shocks, if the sounds occur when over bumps, it could be you're just starting to bottom out on the bumpstops. You might try temporarily removing your bump stops to confirm. If so, you can shorten them or replace them with shorter ones (like the front bump stops from the Belltech kit.)

If when going on or off the gas, it could be your pinion angle is off (which could also explain what sounds like a loose spring.) Only option I'm aware of to address that is adjustable rear control arms.

razor1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a noise after lowering my '16 R/T. I went through and loosened everything in the back to a little over finger tight. Then had my son bounce on the rear bumper to cycle the suspension. Ended up my rear sway-bar end links were way to tight. That's an easy way to start looking.

OP
OP
B

big john 02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK yeah more info so shocks are the street perf shocks that came with the kit, only happens when going over bumps for most of what I can see and not on power or under power. and Razor1 thats not a bad Idea i was thinking it was definitely something in that area but I will pull the bump stops as well to check that out thanks guys Ill let ya know what I find

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Did you do a sway bar too? If you did and it's a chuffing squeaking noise, check your end link bushings. Take them fully apart and grease between the metal and rubber.